Why?

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
AMystery

swirly thing and other mysteries

Post by AMystery »

The swirly thing in the drain is caused by the coriolis effect (spelling only approximate) which is caused by the earth's rotation and uneven forces on each side of the vortex. It is opposite in the southern hemosphere because the people there are so backwards they can't even make their drains properly.
When someone holds a gun and says not to move or they'll shoot, don't they realize that the Earth is hurdling through space at tremendous speeds, and everyone with it. It is beyond our power to stop moving. I guess the person has no choice but to shoot.
If you could manage to stop, that would be an excellent way to avoid getting shot, as the shooter would be moving away from you at 17000 miles per hour, which is faster than the bullet travels so it would never reach you. That is just from the movement of earth around the sun, there is also the movement of the sun around the galacy, the galacy around the great attractor, and the attractor around the origin of the universe. In the end, the speed of earth is so minor as to be ignored in the calculations of net velocity and so it can be considered to be standing still while the sun rotates around us.

(Please check all answers with Kiri as she is the expert on things trivial)
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

AMystery wrote:If you could manage to stop, that would be an excellent way to avoid getting shot, as the shooter would be moving away from you at 17000 miles per hour, which is faster than the bullet travels so it would never reach you.
That depends upon the direction you were originally moving with respect to the shooter. If you are standing in front of the gunman when you stop, then you will just meet the bullet that much faster. On the positive side, if you collide with the shooter, you would probably kill him or her as well.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

*grin* i love it!

this is why english majors never hang around the math and physics buildings.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
AMystery

not quite

Post by AMystery »

AT my school they didn't hang around the physics building because we were prone to launching things off the roof, in the general direction of the english building. Also there was the smell, but mainly it was the projectiles.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

projectiles and explosives were more the style of the engineering building at my school.

years and years ago, when they were breaking ground for the student center, they unearthed a big rock (about 1/2 the size of a VW bug). it sat on campus for a few weeks, waiting to be removed. in the interim, it became a campus message board, being painted every few nights to advertise some sort of campus event.

well, eventually the engineers decided to make the rock "beautiful". frightening, yes? well, what IS beauty to an engineer? hmmmm.... well, in this case beauty was deemed to be a perfect cube of concrete. yep, the engineers went over one night, and encased the rock in a perfect concrete cube.

well, the english and fine arts types thought that was horrible, and a few nights later gathered with chisels for a "free the rock" party. (this story explains the present perfectly square shape at the base of the rock)

having failed to make the rock beautiful, the engineers decided to move on to phase two: the demolition of the rock. unfortunately, beer and explosives don't mix very well, and instead of focusing the charges inwards they were deflected outwards, rather like a giant claymore mine.

result? every single window in the library tower was shattered.

moral? if you're going ot get an engineer drunk around explosives, make sure to get him drunk enough thta he passes out BEFORE he can set them off.
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

Why are my toes always cold?
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Java

Post by Java »

because i don't keep you tethered to the oven.
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

*blink*
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Java

Post by Java »

Watch it, or else I'll tighten up that ball and chain.
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

Oh REALLY!?

I just would love to see you try ;)[/i]

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

hmmm....tighening up the ball and chain eh? that gives all SORTS of interesting visuals to think about
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

Honey, Dis is thinking dirty thoughts about me again! :X

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
AMystery

so?

Post by AMystery »

I'm quite sure you had the same thoughts sooer, and in more detail
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

not about Dis....or you :P

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
AMystery

nothing

Post by AMystery »

Its nothing to be ashamed of, Disaster and I know how sexy we are and no one would blame you if you couldn't resistl I know Dis often has those thoughts about me, but i don't blame him for them.