Weather

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
polgara

weather

Post by polgara »

How about a very rare accurance?

Tornados
Hurricanes

causing damage to you, like poison, unless you find shelter :)

Polgara
#41 If it jams - force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. - Silk's Lil Black Warlord Book- Tips And Rules To Conquer By
xorex

Post by xorex »

skill for druids, they can build a snow man (charmie/pet) when it's snowing :)
--Xorex
Slart

Post by Slart »

Stars wrote:Maybe the extreme wind only increases the move points taken, even when flying. Maybe all of this is worse when someone is flying.
Ooh! Ooh! A reason not to fly all the time besides being underwater. I like it...
Ginzor

Post by Ginzor »

In extremly sunny weather I would like to see that one becomes thirsty more often. Maybe if it snowed put some extra move points to walk through the snow. And another thing..start checking the mud for rooms indside that is marked outside.
As said before snow in a desert is quite akward get that in bad weather in desert should be sand storms.
Not so many extra things to add, just things that is used automatically
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength - George Orwell
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

I do very much like Stars' idea. Any time high winds come up, make flying characters (and those in nonswimmable water.... boats get really affected by high winds whether or not the character's flying) get hit every once in a while with a random move current (rooms flagged indoors should be exempt from this). Something like a sandstorm (or hail) should actually cause mild damage per tick when a player's out in it. Heavy rains and moderate (and higher) snowfalls should increase movement rates (even for flying characters, it being harder to maneuver against the wind, etc.). Extreme heat (as mentioned) should cause the character to get thirstier, faster. Anything more than a light drizzle/snowfall should severely compromise vision beyond the room. Perhaps in foggy situations the look code could be modified to make enemies harder to see/hit, even in the room (essentially - randomly turning some mobs hidden/invis to the player, and/or lowering (in combat code) the chance of hitting them). I like the way lightning strikes work now, but I think you should have a much higher chance of being hit when in water (swimmable, non-swimmable and underwater) as well as when you're in rooms with sector type plains. Tornadoes, too, could be an event like lightning strikes - rare, but they happen, and hurt you a lot. Extreme cold should probably have some sort of effect on how well you fight... fingers numbed with cold don't hold weapons very well, for one thing.

Beyond all this, we could also include more magical sorts of weather (this being a fantasy world). I.e. a magic storm that makes your spells less likely to work, or makes them cost more mana; one that slowly damages you (in the same fashion as the sandstorm/hail) but depletes mana instead of hps. Certain magical weather could induce constant fright in you, randomly making you autoflee from battles (as wimpy, but whenever during the battle). I'm sure the rest of you can think of some more effects magical weather might have.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
xorex

Post by xorex »

i like the idea of magical weather. there are also should be some weather that gives positive effects if we put in lots of storms and such. it would be cool if there was a bolt of energy that did complete heal about as rarely as lightning bolt zaps someone now :)

i'm curious how change weather would work with these changes. would there be realms-wide weather for each terrain type at a given time? so change weather would affect the weather in the type of terrain that the caster was in.
--Xorex
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Everybody wrote:Extreme cold should probably have some sort of effect on how well you fight... fingers numbed with cold don't hold weapons very well, for one thing.
Unless they're wearing gloves (which everyone is unless dead).

However, this (and the flip of extreme heat) would merit the addition of a protection from cold/fire spell. If storms with lightning bolts and affects are going to screw with casters ability then they should get some kind of "storm shield" or "protection from lightning".
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I wanna see the weather have some affects on the flaming code. (rain/snow lessens the % of flaming items, too hot raises the flames)
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

Erm, I really doubt that the odds of being struck by lightning would increase if you were in water, that usually being the lowest point on the terrain. However, I don't see a way to let the mud know if you were above ground level a significant amount as it stands.

Do more damage? I could believe that, certainly! More would be tricky to do without just going over to full instagib though. Maybe add on the "shock trauma" affect, which gives 1/2 hitdam and a 50% spell failure for 48 hours, 100 hours if in water?
--Lairian
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

I like the idea of interactive weather affecting players more than just scan... But along the lines of what Xorex was discussing, we can't have all these negative effects. Granted the weather isn't great all the time but its not horrible either. Maybe a boost to certain stats during a beautiful light breezy day? I know for a fact i'm more active/energetic when its nice out. Plus some of the weather coding has gone far aside from just begin the weather coding... if we incorporate some sort of weather or element protection then we have to incorporate it into spells using such elements, ie breath attacks, fireball, chilling touch etc...

I also like the idea of high winds and bad weather affecting movement, cause it obviously happens, anyone ever try running a race in the rain? you don't quite do your best. But before we can start to have the weather interact with players more, we need to have weather represented accurately about the mud, and that alone is gonna take some hardcore coding. Hopefully it is under consideration, and if there is anything i can do to speed the process along i'd be glad to help. Well there's a little more than my 2 cents but take it anyway :P
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Agreed... positive effects of weather should be included as well as negative (I simply couldn't think of anything particularly good in that respect). The easiest way, imo, to solve this would simply be to make bad weather (bad enough that it affects you) happen more rarely.

As far as lightning goes, sure, you're less likely, perhaps, to get hit directly when you're in water, but water certainly conducts electricity much, much better than the ground does, so even if lightning hit water anywhere particularly near you, you'd get essentially the full effects of a strike (this being why it's recommended to not swim during thunderstorms). I'm not sure what you're saying about lightning doing more damage... I don't think anyone had suggested doing that, and I'm too lazy to check fully - lightning right now does plenty (reduces you to 0 hps immediately if you are hit).
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

We already have so many crappy weather effects.

What about just more pretty aesthetic stuff?
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

I think its kinda funny that you can be struck by lightning, I've never seen it happen, heck i didn't even know it could happen :P

*Holds out his lightning rod* :twisted:
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

kiri wrote:We already have so many crappy weather effects.

What about just more pretty aesthetic stuff?
Heh, i'd just rather see weather relate to an area instead of having good or bad effects. Not everything has make things harder or easier.

-I'd like to see it not snow in hell (Diablo).
-I'd like to see it rain a lot in the Tropical Forest.
-I would like no more snow in the Desert.
-I would like it to snow all the time in the Frozen Wastelands.

Etc etc.

One problem with this secluded weather effects is the cases in which we have bad transition. If it's snowing in one place and the next area over it's bright and shiny and warm... how does that make any sense at all? BR would have to be re-lain out in some cases to create an actual "world" where weather made some sense.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Slart

Post by Slart »

Maybe it's snowing NEAR Hell, but as long as it's not also snowing IN Hell, I think we could all call that an improvement in the "sense" department...even without the fuss of rearranging the whole Realms.