Weather

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
polgara

Weather

Post by polgara »

Do certain MUD months affect the weather? Like winter months having more snow in the realm? etc...

Polgara
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

No. They affect absolutely nothing.

Although, I'd love to change that.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

It would be a nice idea to make areas weather specific. For instance, the north pole would only have snow, and a desert might not be caught in the throes of a hurricane. That desert might, however, feel the effects of a sand storm.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

I've wanted that for some time, as well.
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

I have to agree that would be an incredible change for us.
I've seen many players over time chat...HEHE, it is snowing
in the desert. I believe it would make playing in BR much more
enjoyable.
*bounces around* Dev
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

What we need for this is what the weather should do (if anything) and what the sayings would be - also correlating it to a fantasy-theme of months and days. We can scrap the imm-suckup ones we have now (in case you didn't know, the months were named to honor immortals.)

The problem is I've never gotten very sensible, balanced ones before. I'll take suggestions, though.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Is that the reason behind why we have the months of Hypercubes and Boats? I never actually knew that. As far as area-wide weather goes, I'm all for it.

Was that sensible, balanced setups for names of months/days (or how they progress, even), or the effects of the weather with the messages relating to them? Either way, I could probably come up with something...
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

I think I hear Slart crying somewhere... ^-^

We could go with elemental months (month of fire, water, earth, wind, spirit, darkness, wood, space, time, energy), a more Chinese feel with animal months (dog, raccoon, snake, smurf, hawk), or just break out a latin dictionary and reference what we want the weather effects of each month to be and name it after that (month of storms, month of rain, etc. with prettier more exotic names as they're in a dead language).
--Lairian
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Latin, a dead language?
Let's take a moment to mourn our friends from South America.
Pfffhht! :P
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

Languages are considered dead if no country takes them as their official language. Most Latin/Latino countries actually speak Spanish.

Last I checked, Latin was dead...though I guess it depends on if you consider the Vatican a full country or not.
--Lairian
Ginzor

Post by Ginzor »

Latin wasn't dead last half an hour when I had organic chemistry class :/
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength - George Orwell
polgara

Latin as a dead language

Post by polgara »

Sorry, but Latin is a dead language. Per linguists, a dead language is one where there are no native speakers or communities that speak it on a day to day basis. A dead language doesn't grow: ie... it's nouns, pronouns, verbs are all stagnant.

The Roman Catholic's use of Latin in their ceremonies and the scientific communities use of Latin as well, doesn't mean that it's a live language. On a day to day basis, the Vatican (a city/state) speaks Italian and South Americans mostly speak Spanish (why they are called Latin is beyond me though - maybe because Spanish is a descendant of Latin?).

It's like ancient Egyptian Hieroglypics...they can be read, they can be drawn/written...but the meanings don't change because it is not a primary language of a living people.

Polgara
#41 If it jams - force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. - Silk's Lil Black Warlord Book- Tips And Rules To Conquer By
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

LOL!

*high5 to Ginzor*
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Back to weather, pleeeeeease.

Talk about effects. What should weather DO?
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Seriously bad weather should have an effect on movement. Perhaps, a powerful storm will act like a random current and blow you into a random open adjacent room (or closed ones if pass door). Maybe the extreme wind only increases the move points taken, even when flying. Maybe all of this is worse when someone is flying.

Maybe the best weather might slightly increase the rate at which hp and mana are gained? You know, the sunlight produces a warm healthy atmosphere...