Magic Damage

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Magic Damage

Post by Anakin »

Does the offensive spell increases damage per level?

I'm leveling a druid and I'm wondering if staying with flaming eq will help me through the levels or I should switch to hit/dam eqs. (He's around level 80) Will his spells eventually damp every hit with full flaming eq?

If an avatar enflames a weapon, is it any different than a level 7 enflaming it?

Also, does the damage of 'Control Flames' depends on the level of your light source or is it still dependable on the flaming code?

Is it safe to assume that a spell that comes on higher level is a better spell?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

? your druid doesn't damp?
Anakin
Mud Addict

Re: Magic Damage

Post by Anakin »

Yes, my spells damp but I'm asking...
Anakin wrote:Will his spells eventually damp <<[_*^(every hit)^*_]>> with full flaming eq?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

no
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Spell damage seems to level off after a certain point. I might be wrong, but is sure seems like there is a point where the damage stops increasing. Full flaming eq as a high level hero damps fairly often, but not as much you would think.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

To answer (as many as I can of) your questions in order:
It depends on the spell. Most spells' damage increases with level. It's really a matter of where it caps off - magic missle will never do more than tickles or brushes no matter what level a caster you are. Other spells, most notably laughing buddha, ultrablast and the breath spells do their damage based, in large part, on the current hps of the caster. These will always get to a higher total (do more damage, thus be better) because the other spells will eventually level off.
From what I know, druid spells are not the best for trying this, as both cause crit and flamestrike level off fairly badly once you get into the hero levels. As an elf (this last time through), I dumped my flaming eq as I made levels to wear the better hit/dam eq. Another thing to mention here is that flaming doesn't give a constant increase - it raises the max possible by 10% per item, and the damage done by the spell is between 100% and that max.
No.
This one I have to pass on to Slart, as I'm not familiar with Control Flames.
Not really. Acid blast is the best ramping (i.e. a higher level cast of it makes it do more damage) offensive spell I know of, and elves get it at level 9, before such winning spells as colour spray and lightning bolt. Sometimes low level spells also ramp up slower, but have a higher cap (like inflict pain for illithids, compared to psychic crush).
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)