Sharing Characters, nah...

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I bumped this question for an official calling about "sharing morts". Some HEROES think sharing morts is alright. In the beginning of the MUD (when you log in) it says

DO NOT REVEAL YOUR PASSWORD TO ANYONE.

So I take this as do not share your characters. What is it really? Just do not share heroes but can share morts, or we can share morts?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Joysinger
Avid Player

Post by Joysinger »

i hate it's done, and i think it should be forbidden. i also think this would solve some of the high level support chars we have. i think i've said this before ;) it's CHEAP! go make your own! *mutter*
*Unicorn hoofprint sparkling from glittering faerie-dust*
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

*pets his druid* all mine, all mine :twisted:
Anavrinman

Sharing Characters, nah...

Post by Anavrinman »

I've been playing realms for about 6 years now (maybe 7, can't really remember that far back). I've invested more time in this that I care to imagine, and yet, my chars still suck. Do I want to get rid of them and start over? Sometimes. Usually when I get close to leveling and then die six times, but nothing can replace all of the effort I've put into making it THIS far. BR over the years has actually carved out a big place in my life and I don't think I could live with myself if I actually sold my characters. I love them all, and I would miss them terribly. So in short, no...I think that selling characters is by no means an ethically good idea.
Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease...
Hobo Nick
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

I agree that character sharing at mort level should be banned as well. I have seen sharing at hero levels even though the rule is there not to. I've even reminded the person doing the sharing about the rule. It is sad that it is done at all.
Selling a character on ebay? I don't think that is a good idea either.
*bounces around* Dev
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I don't like sharing characters period, but I don't consider buying/selling them as sharing. *shrugs* (Not that I'm saying it's legal, or that I'm with it, just saying I don't consider it sharing).

I usually use other people's character (with their permission) to change some of their options, I don't know, maybe my directions are not clear enough or I can't explain it any better *shrugs*. But that's as far as I go to logging onto another character...

(Gawd, I'm just babbling, aren't I?)
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

sharing = bad

Wait a tick...my momma said sharing was good. She lied to me!
*cries and curls up into a fetal position on the floor sucking his thumb*
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Pariah

Are yall for real?

Post by Pariah »

How is it your concern (BR staff excluded obviously) what anyone else does with there characters including sharing, selling, or anything else. I cannot think of a single problem with sharing a char beyond problems that may arise between the users, but this doent affect other players. It isnt as if this game (which I love BTW) is overflowing with players, so why add artificial restrictions to game play? The last thing this or any other society needs is unneeded rules and regulations simply because many of the regulars did it by themselves.

That said, i dont share anything with anyone. I dont mean to sound negative, but I was surprised at the overwhelming opinion that sharing is evil. I have never made hero and am not sure of the rules there, so take this for what you will.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Who is this question aimed at? Me or other players?
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

Well Pariah, the rule is there in hero levels. For hero levels sharing is NOT allowed. Absolutely with no exceptions. We may not be "overflowing with players" at the moment, but we do go through growth spells and probably will again here soon. There has to be a way to know when multiplaying is occuring and other such things. If characters are community property that would make it more difficult. Also, if the shared mort heroes...who gets to keep it ? There is no sharing of heroes, so...it gets tricky. To be clear, sharing of morts is currently NOT against any rules. Sharing of heroes is against the rules.
*bounces around* Dev
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

From the very first post at the beginning of this thread.
Anakin wrote: DO NOT REVEAL YOUR PASSWORD TO ANYONE.
In order to share, you must reveal your password, or share your password, or write it down and leave it tacked to the fridge. Regardless, you've revealed it.

It doesn't say:
"Unless you're a hero"
"Unless you're a mortal"
"Unless you're an imm"
"Unless you have 6 toes on your right foot and dance the macarena at midnight every day on a leap year"

It says do not reveal your password.

Why is this being questioned at all? If anyone should be yelled at. All this thread reveals is that the EXISTING rules should be enforced because people abuse them.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

My response was aimed at the other players and not BR staff because if the folks running this game do not want player sharing then I suppose that is that. I was simply pointing out that some players (for reasons beyond me, because i would never do this) may want to share a char, even only to hero level. The high level players who have worked very hard, no doubt, on their chars, have nothing taken away from them or their accomplishments if a few newbies share an account.

As for the "Do not reveal your pass", it seems to me that using this as the rule not to share is beyond the spirit of this rule. Just as saying, "What if I log on for my friend each time, thus keeping my pass confidential" would be. I dont see sharing as an abuse unless some hypermotivated individuals played the char 24/7 accomplishing what no one person ever could, but I doubt that is a problem.

In conclusion, I do not mean to argue, step on anyones toes, or tell the staff of this awesome game how to run the show. I know I will abide by any rules, but I would like to support a different view of this, perhaps yet to be finalized, rule.

Edit:One more point. I didnt mean to imply that the population of this game was low, or that I have any problem with the regulations. Just that if sharing attracts another player (or 2 as the case may be) great. Keep up the good work yall.