Something I've always wondered...

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
Lairian

Something I've always wondered...

Post by Lairian »

Can mobs run out of mana?
--Lairian
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Of course.
They only have 100.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

That's true, but, unfortunately, also limited. When a mob casts a spell, it doesn't 1) check if the mob has enough mana to cast that spell, nor 2) reduce the mob's current mana by any amount. Therefore, mobs essentially never run out of mana. I'm fairly sure that even if they were wearing eq with large -mana stats, they would still never run out (a definite problem with -mv eq, btw... mobs eventually get stuck if they're wearing too much of it).
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Joysinger
Avid Player

Post by Joysinger »

oh really? they will run out of moves if you stick too much -mv equipment on one? cooooool. :D
*Unicorn hoofprint sparkling from glittering faerie-dust*
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Why is that cool, Joy? If a builder wants to make a mob stand still, then he or she can make it sentinal. It is not as if you gain xp by charming a wimpy mob and ordering it to wear negative movement eq before murdering it. Casting web is much more efficient. Is there something I am missing about your reaction?
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

You can build semi-random sentinels into your area - throw an item with -mv (100 or more) onto a mob and let it wander until it runs out of movement. Then it's stationary from that point on... it's still in the same general area as wherever you repopped it, but not necessarily always in the same room. You can actually see this at work in lag central - the lag recruiter's one of the main ones, as I recall.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Joysinger
Avid Player

Post by Joysinger »

also, sentinel mobs still move when they're hurt enough.
*Unicorn hoofprint sparkling from glittering faerie-dust*
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

Plus a sentinel will move if charmed, whereas a mob with -1000 move can't and won't. Thus, if you want a "no charm" mob, that would be the way to go. Sure, they'll still charm him, but that won't help them go kill stuff.
--Lairian
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

*wonders if it's possible to kill a mob by charming it and having it wear negative hp eq to the point of having negative hp*
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

If a charmed mob has -mv eq and is charmed, then what is to stop the charmer from ordering the mob to remove the eq. Of course, if it was the intention of the builder to do so, then he or she could make the eq noremove. I wonder if a charmie can play hangman? :P

In response to Everybody's lag central reference, almost all the eq in that area is -mv. I thought it might work that way for the knight who wears nearly a full set of this eq. The recruiter is actually a sentinal.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

laguth can move, but only as long as he's wearing the solution. otherwise, the noremove globe stops him in his tracks. (btw stars, pppppbbbttt to you for not keeping that globe removable and dropable ;P)
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".