Hours played?

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
RadicalEd

Hours played?

Post by RadicalEd »

Is there a way to calculate the real time hours you have played according to your mud age?

Because i was told my hours played was 1282 while my mud age was 340...

i tried to subtract 17 from 340 and then multiply by 4... but i got 1292... 10 over, so i must be wrong...

If you know please tell :D
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

My understanding is that your math equation is *almost* correct.

Take the hours played, +17 (for the age you start with) and divide by 4 to get your age.

Each 4 hours = 1 year of mud age.

{Sometimes wacky things happen with age. For example, I am 17,097 years old on the MUD. The sysop changed the clock while I was on and added something like 15,000 years to my age.}
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

kiri wrote:Take the hours played, +17 (for the age you start with) and divide by 4 to get your age.
Each 4 hours = 1 year of mud age.
But they have their mud age already. They are looking for hours played, right? I think the following equation is what people want.

Code: Select all

Hours played = (MUD Age - 17) * 4
kiri wrote:The sysop changed the clock
I would be that dorky sysop of which Kiri speaks. It was due to a BIOS with a Y2K bug. Moving the date forward by a decade or so is a bad thing to do on servers that are running many programs...
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Good catch. Good thing I don't mind people correcting me. :wink:
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

I think to go backwards, it's:

Code: Select all

(Hours played / 4) + 17 = Mud Age
Instead of adding 17 to the hours played before dividing. Any case, your actual hours played can be anywhere up to 3.9 hours above your current mud year before it flips over, so there's some error involved. As to Rad's specific question, I would guess that there was a mistake made in reporting his hours played to him, or he didn't try to figure it out for a while after being told his hours.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

hrm... nope, i tried to figure it the moment i got the hours... *shrug*

at least its close :D

Thanks all! :D

Rad
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

wow sounds as though there could be an easier way!! lol
*bounces around* Dev
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Well we could just let you see your exact hours played, but what fun would that be? You'd just have a stat, instead of something that (might) affect roleplaying - a character age.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

oh, roleplaying....well, there's a neat idea. just for the record, i'd like everyone to know that i'm just exacatly as strange, unstable and manic depressive irl as you all know me to be in BR. i'm still working on the demon appendages though-need to spend more time in the basement of the bio sci building i guess, around the big NMR specs and air-locked virology labs, that should do the trick.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
AMystery

Post by AMystery »

I wonder if we could have an age bonus? Dragons get more powerful with age, could we have some small perk from the addiction? every 1000 hours gives you +10 hit/dam +100 hp/mana/mv?
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

in my opinion, this is the last thing we need. we already have tons of age-hungry people who do nothing but sit at HR with a anti-void trigger running. if we start bonussing people for that sort of thing, we're going to have 100 characters on at a tme, but every last one of them will be permanently afk/busy
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

maybe make it so its calculated by hours active?

but then again all they would have to do is create a tick timer...

I guess the ideas a bust :?

Rad
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

In some games that I've played, their age affects some of their stats. The older they get, the wiser they become but they get less dexterity making them really slow. I haven't heard any bad sides of it yet since if you get older, you get slower (battle-wise, probably less hitroll?) but wiser (better skills %).
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

an interesting idea, maybe, but not one that i think would go well with our set up. in some games, extreem old age also means death, after all. if there were to be some sort of affect of old age, and i'm still of the opinion that there shouldn't be, perhaps it could be in the form of little bonusses such as shops that only sell to ppl with a certain minimum age, etc. then it would remain a little side perk, without unduly altering the actual play of the game. remember, we have many characters with obscenely huge ages due to the date resetting, and there are several, one of my alts included, whose quite large age was reset at the time of remorting (has that been fixed, by the way, so that age remains constant at remort?) and we don't want such discrepancies to become a negative factor
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

That actually seems like a good idea :D

It'll give a little advantage to us old geezers :P

Rad