Protection

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
Puppetmon

Protection

Post by Puppetmon »

Im sure this has been asked before, but it is said protection cuts damage 1/4, and can be combined with sanctuary for an added effect. Is this really true? I havent noticed difference in using protection, but maybe someone else has. Has anyone else noticed a difference when using the two together?
Do we make our own fate? Or Can we cut the chains that bind us?
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Alright. I know I've answered this before, but I can't find where it would be in the forums, so I'll answer it again here. Protection is an odd spell. It does cut damage by 1/4th, but only against evil mobs. If you're fighting mobs of any other alignment, you won't notice any difference. Ever. The other tricky part is that, while the benefits of sanctuary and protection stack, they don't do so additively (i.e. 1/2 + 1/4 = 3/4 damage reduced). They do so multiplicitively (i.e. 1/2 of the damage remaining * 1/4 damage reduction = 1/8 more damage taken off, 3/8 net damage taken). So, if you're fighting an evil mob with sanc and protection on, you'll take 3/8 of the damage you normally would. Against any other alignment, it'll still be half damage.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Anavrinman

Protection

Post by Anavrinman »

Would this also work for say Iron Monk and Sanctuary? I've tried it, and I still remember getting the tar kicked out of me.
Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease...
Hobo Nick
Comatose

Re: Protection

Post by Comatose »

Anavrinman wrote:Would this also work for say Iron Monk and Sanctuary? I've tried it, and I still remember getting the tar kicked out of me.
I don't have access to the mud at the moment, but I am pretty sure that you can't have Iron Monk and Sanctuary at the same time. I am not sure if that is what you were refering to but if it was I don't even think that is possible.
Anavrinman

Protection

Post by Anavrinman »

Well, I remember trying it. That doesn't mean it actually happened or that it actually worked. My mind is a little scattered sometimes. But if it does work, I'd really like to know if they stack. That would be very helpful but at the same time, I also think that (if they do), the ability to do so should be removed. It's just too much once you get into it, because then you could also stack protection on there and never take a hit...now where's the fun in that?
Hobo Nick
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Iron monk and sanctuary (and biofeedback) do not stack. They all use the same affect bit (bit_sanctuary) to reduce damage. Similarly, protection does not stack with inertial barrier, which works exactly the same as it.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Anavrinman

Protection

Post by Anavrinman »

Good to know EB. Definately enlightening.
Hobo Nick