Forums

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
RadicalEd

Forums

Post by RadicalEd »

May be a stupid question like so many that i ask, but what's the difference between the Board Styles?
It's between subSilver and Chronicles, but i see no visible difference when i change them... *shrug* just wondering :D
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
Oakley

Post by Oakley »

there is no difference

i have the board configuration set to override whatever users choose since this is a better theme for this particular board.

the subsilver one is the default and unfortunately there isn't a way to disable the ability to select in the user profile, otherwise you'd never even know it existed here.
Java

Post by Java »

vbullitin has a nice feature of previewing threads before actually clicking on the link...

is there anyway to get it (preview) working here?
RadicalEd

Another forum question

Post by RadicalEd »

Yet another question about the forums...
Why is it that if i log in and there is a new post, but i don't read it, and log out, it disapears? Is there a way to change this?
I need my red dots, i'm lost without them :cry:

Rad
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Far as I know, that shouldn't happen unless you actually click on the link itself to the thread. Are you accidentally (or intentionally) doing that?
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

Accidentally when it does happen. But i don't understand why it does happen cause i don't actually read it. Not a big deal though, i just won't log into the forums unless i know i have time to read them all...

Rad
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

I would like to see subSilver reactivated, and maybe a few more themes added. Personally, I think Chronicles looks like butt.

As far as all forums being marked as read as soon as you log in, phpBB just keeps track of the last time you logged in. All posts that were posted after the last time you logged in are considered to be "new". Not keeping track of when you last viewed each forum or individual post saves space and keeps things simple. That said, the "feature" bothers me too. I'd like to see it handled on at least a forum basis. But until they add it to phpBB, it's unlikely that we will see it here.
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
Oakley

Post by Oakley »

Scavenger wrote:I would like to see subSilver reactivated, and maybe a few more themes added. Personally, I think Chronicles looks like butt.
when has your opinion ever meant anything to me? =P

actually, the real reason is that i don't really have the time to set them up properly - or make one of my own - so this'll have to do.
As far as all forums being marked as read as soon as you log in, phpBB just keeps track of the last time you logged in. All posts that were posted after the last time you logged in are considered to be "new". Not keeping track of when you last viewed each forum or individual post saves space and keeps things simple. That said, the "feature" bothers me too. I'd like to see it handled on at least a forum basis. But until they add it to phpBB, it's unlikely that we will see it here.
as far as my experience goes, most of the available BBSs behave this way. one more thing to note is that if you stay logged in and are inactive for a while, the new posts are no longer new... (i.e. leave this window alone in the background and do something else for 15 minutes or so)

and finally...there IS a preview button - i'm using it now as i post this...
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Scavenger wrote:Personally, I think Chronicles looks like butt.
Everything looks like "butt" to you, Sir Scavalot. :wink:

Whenever I check out the forums, I just look at the dates of the newer posts to determine whether I have read them or not. If they were posted that day or the day before, then I know there is a chance that I have yet to read them.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

Yeah i'm not totally lost without them :P
But glad to know it just wasn't something i was doing.
Thanks again all :D

Rad