Attributes: To enhance or not to enhance

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
Teach

Attributes: To enhance or not to enhance

Post by Teach »

Ok, so humor me on this, what's the actual effects of beefing your stats, other than carry capacity for str, practice efficiency for int, and things you can hold at once for dex. My assumption is that con helps hp but I don't know if that's true. So how's it all break down?

Teach
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I am not sure if this is right so if anyone wants to correct me feel free.

Str - Gives you more weight to carry and also adds more dam. It also helps me a lot when I want to carry a heavy weapon (one that requires 25str)

Dex - Lets you carry more items. It is also said that it helps you parry and dodge more but I don't see any difference. :|

Con - is where your max hp depends. The more con you have, the more max_hp you have so it gives you more hp to meet the requirement (Someone just told me this). IMO, it should also be harder for people to get poisoned/cursed/faerie fire/etc... if they have high con.

Wis - I don't know if it's just me but it is easier for me to spellup heroes who keep beeping/telling you to spell them up.

Int - I don't know if it's true but they say that you get more successful enchants/taint with higher int (enchants meaning +2 to the original level).

Someone also once told me that a combination of wis/int makes up your max mana giving you more mana per level. (Same person who said about the con, if I can only remember his name).

I'm not perfect and still learning more, I think this is the part where you say "That is wrong." or "I want to add.". :?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

I believe I told you about con & wis/int. Now then, attributes affect your character at two different points, at level, and all the rest of the time. What you want to get high at level is:
Wis/Int - this affects how much mana you'll get at level. If you're a druid, wis will affect somewhat more; if a ill/elf, int somewhat more. For any of the fighting races, they affect equally.
Con - this affects how much hp you'll get at level. (Hp determination is weird, though, so it's not flat across the races... I'll explain that elsewhere if someone wants to know.)
The prime attribute of your race - this determines (flat out, I believe) how many practices you get when you level.
Dex - this can affect how much movement you get at level... it raises the high end of a random spectrum that then later gets raised to 10. Basically, unless you get lucky and have a really high dex, you'll always get 10 movement at level.

How they affect you during gameplay:
Str - raises slightly your hit/dam, as Anakin said. Also allows you to carry more weight. There's hard-coded weight restrictions on weapons, so if you don't have enough str, you can't wield heavier weapons.
Dex - raises the number of items you can carry at once. Lowers your AC. As I recall from Slart's explanation on the combat system (a while ago, so I could be wrong - correct me if I am), dex doesn't play into parry/dodge percentages.
Con - Anakin's description is slightly off... con helps how many hps you get at level, not as an automatic fluctuation; you won't automatically gain some hps by raising your con. It does, however, raise the rate at which you gain hps back when resting or sleeping.
Int - raises the amount each practice gains you when practicing skills. Helps with mana regeneration when resting or sleeping.
Wis - Helps with mana regeneration when resting or sleeping. Might affect save percentages when casting spells at mobs.

Attributes also come into play when using certain skills. Throw takes part of its damage determination from your current strength. Your wis and dex must be 20+ each before you can taint. I wouldn't be surprised if dex played into the calculations on roundhouse (especially in regards to tripping yourself).
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

wow, lots of stuff i figured out to use at lowbie levels..

also eb if you wouldn't mind i'd like the explanation about how the con bonus is spread about the levels. Thanks :D
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

It's not really "spread about" - there's a standard formula for figuring it out. The Mud figures out an initial modifier from your con, then chooses a random number between the racial minimum and racial maximum. Add the two together and you get your hp gain at level. Each race has somewhat different ranges, and generally spellcasters get less and fighters get more.
I think I actually explained this differently to someone else, but I just checked my notes, and this is the actual determination. Sorry for the confusion.
-EB
Enter

Post by Enter »

Doesn't wis affect how much you fail to cast your spells?
If this sounds sarcastic, don't take it seriously.
If it sounds dangerous,
Do not try this at home or at all.
And if it offends you, just don't listen to it.
Ginzor

Post by Ginzor »

I was wondering I heard that dex helped you with the skill roundhouse, but as we know there are lots of rumors going around in BR, is this true?
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength - George Orwell
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

To answer (part of) Enter's question: wis does not affect how often you lose concentration - that's a flat check against your practice percentage. Getting miscasts is also a straight percentage (doing create food/spring/potion, or continual light), unaffected by wis. What wis might do is affect the likelihood of your opponent saving vs. your (successfully cast) spell - by lowering their save roll, essentially.
-EB