ewan mud client

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
demeiz

ewan mud client

Post by demeiz »

Last edited by demeiz on Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Such a mighty beard you have!"
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

It's right above the site. ;p

Barren Realms MUD
barren.coredcs.com 8000

Host: barren.coredcs.com
Port: 8000
Address: 169.207.110.131
demeiz

lol

Post by demeiz »

still cant get it to work...
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

What happens when you try?
demeiz

Post by demeiz »

kiri wrote:What happens when you try?
say lost connection and error code 9687567934 or something
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Perhaps you should use putty instead, or some other telnet program. Ewan is a VERY old telnet program - it might even be 16 bit!
Slart

Post by Slart »

PuTTY is my tool of choice for several uses, and I will attest readily that it is superior to ewan in all important respects.

You should definitely use it instead.
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

EWAN is designed for Windows 3.x. It may work under Windows 9x and the NT varients, but it was not designed to. I got to talk with the designer back in 1995 and it was a deeply flawed and dying project even at that time. There is no excuse for anyone to still be using EWAN. It is a horribly broken terminal emulator. It was the best of the free options in 95, but that's no longer a good reason to use it.

As Slart and Kiri say, PuTTY is probably the best of the free terminal emulators (for Windows). It is regularly updated, has near perfect emulation, follows conventional UI rules, etc. I use SecureCRT at work and it is a very good client, if you don't mind paying for a terminal emulator. And if you are running Windows 2000 or XP, the built-in telnet sucks much less than it used to (although turning local echo on is a little tricky).

But do not make the mistake of thinking that any of the above are MUD clients. They are not. They are terminal emulation programs that use the telnet protocol but they have no features to make connecting to MUDs any easier. If you will be connecting to BR much at all, I highly recommend looking into real MUD clients. They have such handy features as split screen text entry, triggers, command recall, and more. The most popular one in the Windows world is probably zMUD. The current version isn't free but they have a much older version from 1996 that you can get for free. There are many other MUD clients too. Ask around on BR and people will be more than happy to tell you about their favorite client.
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
demeiz

i know this sounds realy sad

Post by demeiz »

but none of em work that well on this machine any im getting a new computer in the next couple of months so ill check then thanks anyway
Erin

Post by Erin »

*cough*
What my young nephew fails to mention is the pc he's using at the moment is based on our town's main library and doesn't have the telnet options or any options to add programmes. It's basically for students to surf the internet for study purposes.
*cough*
"Stupidity has a certain charm. Ignorance does not" ----Frank Zappa
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

PuTTY would be a good option, actually. You could even put it on a floppy and run it directly off of the floppy. It does not need to be "installed". It also should run on any computer that can run Windows 95 or later.
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
demeiz

Post by demeiz »

yeah kinda forgot that :oops:
any way im hopeing to get a computer of my own in the next month or so
and when i do ill try getting some mud clients