Computer Geeky like question

This is a forum where you can ask Kiri anything. She will answer to the best of her ability. Others may answer as well, but Kiri will try to answer all reasonable questions. Do not feel limited by topic.
RadicalEd

Computer Geeky like question

Post by RadicalEd »

ok one of the MANY annoyances of windows xp has been driving me nucking futz lately :evil: :x :x :evil: .
OK so lets begin. I clear all my temp files (temp and temp inet folder), then i clear my cookies. yet when i go to type a url i still get a history, one of which is http://www.barrenrealmsmud.com/gallery/albums.php and this is even before i have viewed any web pages.

I've changed all my settings to dissallow history. ANd its very strange cause normally when it goes to autocomplete a url or run history it only does files or bookmarked favorites. But it also throws in some select urls and i can't figure out where they are coming from. I've cleared the registry of typed urls and history as well. Yet i'm still persistently getting this stuff. And like one url i haven't visited in over a year.

Do urls somehow get saved in the pagefile? otherwise where else would it be? I've tried everything i can think of. I've tried google groups and other tech forums and found nothing on this. Also could it have anything to do with my file indexing? But i don't know why it would. Anyway, someone PLEASE lemme know!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Usually, if you go to Internet Option and then "Clear History" it clears all the history you may have. You can also check the History folder under C:\Windows to see if you have any.
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

Anakin wrote:Usually, if you go to Internet Option and then "Clear History" it clears all the history you may have. You can also check the History folder under C:\Windows to see if you have any.
nah that doesn't do it, its the equivalent of manually deleting the files

Rad
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

Well, you could always turn off AutoComplete, but that's not very useful...

Take a look at http://www.purgeie.com/lockhist.htm and see if any of the situations described there apply to you. You may also want to try that dude's software.
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

ok i found out what i think it was. In addition to clearing the temp and temp inet folders and history folder. I have to clear the User Data folder as well. Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids!

Rad
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

And since you're cleansing...

Run Ad-Aware and/or Spybot Search and Destroy
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Solomnius

Post by Solomnius »

yeah, those two, plus i had my browser home page change to a search thing alot because of the trojan included in the java inviroment i installed - programs called 'cwshredder' and 'hijackthis' fix this problem.
Respect!
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

yeah had ad-aware and spybot for the longest time, we used to use them @ the county. Also i have spy sweeper from best buy, works pretty well. And we've used hijack this for a while too.

Rad
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

'Course Firefox eliminates 99% of browser hijacks and spyware from web-sites...
- George Bernard Shaw
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

'Course Safari eliminates 100% of browser hijacks and spyware from web-sites...
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

Divebomb wrote:'Course Firefox eliminates 99% of browser hijacks and spyware from web-sites...
I'm trying out your Firefox Dive i've heard about it before, but never really check it out. I like it so far ^.^ The tabbed windows especially... but the lack of ctrl+O opening the open page dialogue box kinda urks me

Rad
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

Scavenger wrote:'Course Safari eliminates 100% of browser hijacks and spyware from web-sites...
You make me wish I had a mac.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Scavenger wrote:'Course Safari eliminates 100% of browser hijacks and spyware from web-sites...
I only said 99% because there could be an unknown exploit. As there could be with Safari.

The biggest problem with IE and website spyware is ActiveX. On the other hand, ActiveX allows for things like Windows Update where you don't have to download each individual item and then install it... you go to one site and it will do it all for you.

Opera is supposd to be very good too, but Opera is not free. And no browser or lack of spyware is worth the pain of having to reduce oneself to the simplicity of using a computer via a single button (ie Safari).
I'm trying out your Firefox Dive i've heard about it before, but never really check it out. I like it so far ^.^ The tabbed windows especially... but the lack of ctrl+O opening the open page dialogue box kinda urks me
Be sure to check out the themes and especially the extensions. My most used extension is the one that blocks all flash from playing until you click on it. Prevents annoying flash ads, popup flash ads, annoying animations that you don't care about that may not even be ads, etc. There are links built into the original bookmarks to these pages. :)

And I never used Ctrl+O so I don't miss it. ;) Tabbed-browsing takes some getting used to, but now that i've been using it for 3 months, it's hard to browse in IE. :)
- George Bernard Shaw
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

Divebomb wrote:Be sure to check out the themes and especially the extensions. My most used extension is the one that blocks all flash from playing until you click on it. Prevents annoying flash ads, popup flash ads, annoying animations that you don't care about that may not even be ads, etc. There are links built into the original bookmarks to these pages. :)

And I never used Ctrl+O so I don't miss it. ;) Tabbed-browsing takes some getting used to, but now that i've been using it for 3 months, it's hard to browse in IE. :)
yeah i was checking out the themes and i'll look into those extensions. What i was trying to play around with though was the location of the cache folder. I tried everything mozilla said to change the default location of the cache folder and yet i never got anything (cause i could never see any temp files in the directory). So i gave up for the time being i'll get back to it. And i don't have to worry about CTRL+O because CTRL+T opens a new tabbed window with the cursor on the address bar, so its an easier way to open a new web address :D 8)

Rad
Slart

Post by Slart »

If you don't want to open a new tab, alt-d takes you to the address bar.