February 26, 2003

This is where you can read the newsletters on the forum. Any replies are fair game to be put in the real thing.
kiri
Needs Help

February 26, 2003

Post by kiri »

Welcome to the Barren Realms MUD Newsletter for February 26, 2003.

News from the Realms:

Slart: fixes/updates

I've gone through and cleared out a few of the easier things from the
(in?)famous to-do list. Here's what's new this boot:

- Items created by spell backfires, create potion, create food, and
continual light will now melt normally.
- Flying chars can no longer be damaged by earthquake.
- Fixed a bug that caused a low-level potion to give adrenaline control
for a negative amount of time.
- Character kills and deaths can now increase to 2^31. If your kills
were negative because they wrapped when you had your equipment restored
to a demon avatar, it will be positive now...not what it should be, but
much much closer than it was.
- Fixed a buggy message sent to avians when the char they're carrying flees.
- Circle will now make use of tainted weapons when applicable.
the mud will tell you that you can't drop them, not that you don't have any.

- Heroes can now use the jail command if all visible imms are busy or afk.

Andasa: Results of last night's quest
The roleplaying quest that occured last night went off quite well.
Everyone who participated did an excellant job at roleplaying and made the quest quite enjoyable.
Disaster was the overall winner, playing his role as an honorable demon quite well.
Streak and ElfinAngel were the runner-ups, as Streak returned my sword to me (which was the main part of the in-quest quest)
and ElfinAngel did a great job at roleplaying her part.
I hope that everyone who played is pleased with their prizes, and if you have not yet received them contact Everybody
Perhaps the future will see more quests like this one, though if that is going to happen more people will have to participate :P
Much thanks to those who did participate. Until next time,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDEAS:

Prodigy: i think that the general info channel (the one used for emotes, eyc) should be included in the color menu and be customizable

Prodigy: we should really be able to "look #.item" in our inventories. after all, what reason could there be to explain why you can only look at the last item you picked up, not at the item of your choice?

Disaster: i think every race should have atleast one skill at level 2, to make it easier for heroes to show newbies about practicing skills

Suicide: demons should be able to save at level 1, to avoid problems with link death and unsaved pfiles

Comatose: a hero that flees should lose exp

Utena: A "help bot" for those people who doesn't know about it and for people to know that it is illegal.
Kiri - great idea. Next boot, it's in help rules.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIO -- I'm all out, send me more!

NAME ON BR: Rachel and Dawnfire

BR RACE/LEVEL: Elf/65, Avian/60

YOUR REAL AGE: 25.. lol, and it really is finally after telling people i was it for the last half
year when i was really 24

YOUR REAL LOCATION (State/province & Country): Dallas Texas

YOUR OCCUPATION: Software

YOUR GOALS FOR THE FUTURE: To be with someone i can love

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING TO DO BY POSTING HERE? PUT AN X NEXT TO ONE OR ALL:
NETWORKING ?
FRIENDSHIP x
FIND LOVE x

WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A MAN/WOMAN? cant say i look for anything in men, minus being left alone..
sowwies guys.

WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A FRIEND? anything really

WHAT KIND OF JOB ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? one where i get to help people

IF YOU GO TO COLLEGE, WHICH ONE? n/a

HOW TO CONTACT YOU - ON BR VIA NOTE OR EMAIL? Email is best ^.^

IF EMAIL, PUT IT HERE: darkness@sorceress.cc

Responses by Disaster:

IDEAS -- feel free to hit reply and answer these:

Dawne: is there a good reason that low level chars dont see how long spells last? it would make many low level chars very happy to be able to see that...

-spells, as all things, require a certain knowledge and experience to evaluate correctly. a new character is simply not experienced enough in the arcane arts to properly estimate the duration remaining of a spell, while older, more experienced characters are.

Beanis: not have fleeing mobs be memory mobs?

-fleeing and memory bits are assigned individually by an area writer, and if they are both used, it is surely intentional. if you don't like those mobs, the answer is simple-don't fight them again.

Moldfinger: a skill for avians whereby they fly from a fight (like normal birds do) the avian flies high into the air out of reach of non flying mobs and players, this ends the fight but doesn't leave the room

-if this were to be implemented, it would imply that non-flying characters would never be able to attack any flying mobs. also, what happens when the mob is using a bow and arrow? or when the mob is cooking up a nice bucket of KFA wings with a fireball spell?

Amarilla: that Clericus cast giant strength for those who need it to get all corpse
-there are certain items, if one looks carefully enough for them, which can be used to cast giant strength. it is also possible to get specific items from the corpse first, namely those that boost str, before attempting to get the rest. failing that, it is a VERY rare occurence that there are NO characters on capable of casting giant strength, and most are generally very helpful after a death. all that being said, i still think it's a good idea, just not a very useful one in general.

AMystery: weather should have a bigger impact on fights, perhaps rain lowers hitroll, hot days make mobs more likely to flee
-interesting idea. problem would be determining what weather should do what, and in trying to keep everything consistant. for instance, an orc may very well decide to pack it in and call it quits when it's blizzarding outside, and try to flee, but a yeti would most likely have a very different reaction. perhaps this could be tied in with a previous idea on localized weather? giving each area its own weather instead of just one global weather condition would make this idea much more interesting, and would also (possibly) allow max/min types of weather for an area (no more blizzards on burning lakes of fire, for instance)

Beanis: make a deposit box, like the bank accounts, only make them like the chests in the game diablo, and i know alot of you know what i'm talking about =)
-this idea comes up every 6 months or so, and has been for atleast 7 years now, and has been tossed out on every single one of those occasions. as a hero, you have no need of a box. as a mortal, if you REALLY feel the need for one, just start a lowbie and use it to hold extra gear.

Moldfinger: some randomness in the damage messages. instead of an owl is in awful condition, have a list of possible messages for that damage range. an owl wants to die, an owl is falling apart
-nice idea, put a little spice and uncertainty into it.

Suicide: a "dive"/etc command (similar to land), allowing a flying character to attempt a waterlanding

Liubei: when a demon avatar tans a corpse the item should become demonwearable

-i couldn't agree more. of course, tanning corpses is pretty much useless in the first place, but the tanning demon should certainly be able to fashion the eq in such a way that they can wear it.

Gilvain: Make a time adjustment from military to normal (9 PM instead of 21 o clock) for lazy people like me who doesn't like to do math
-there's lazy, and then there's LAZY! what i want to know is what possible reason a coder would have to NOT be lazy, cook up some code, and implement this idea, all just to save people the 0.3 seconds it would take to do 21 - 12 = 9.

Shiloh: when berzerk and frenzy wear off they should deal some minor damage to the person who had the spell cast on them
-this would quickly turn into an abusable bug which could be used to kill players (slowly, sure, but it could still be done) if this were to be implemented though, there are some other spells that should take priority-like fly. if fly wears off when you're in the air, that would probably be alot worse than just calming down and not being so angry all of a sudden.

Moldfinger: when you are fighting one mob, it seems like you should be able to use skills on another. for example, blast. while fighting a condor I can't blast a warbler, i get a message say I'm already fighting someone else
-i agree, most skills should be able to be used in this way. some skills though, make sense to only be usable against the current target. you could always just use "kill warbler" to switch to the warbler as your primary target, then blast away to your heart's content

AMystery: it doesn't seem fair that a poison of that magnitude 20000 can be cured by one spell. i think poison should be harder to remove the longer it lasts

-that does make sense. have the cure spells remove a certain number of hours affect from the spell and/or magnitude of the spell, instead of wiping it out entirely.

Cord: a "help parts" that provides a menu containing all the help-file keywords for demon body parts
-i couldn't agree more, it would be extraordinarily useful for people on their first remort.

Kiri's WWW of URLs:

From Amystery, click on the horses to activate, again to disable. What a great site!

http://svt.se/hogafflahage/hogafflaHage ... stekor.swf

From the boards, 50 reasons LOTR sucks

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/film/50reasons.html

Also from the boards, Elvish dictionary

http://www.dragondesign.com/TheLair/elf.html

Because plenty of people have been asking me about Morrowind lately, a Morrowind site

http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/

Women should not have children after 35. Really... 35 children are enough.
Shopping tip: You can get shoes for 85 cents at bowling alleys.
After all is said and done, usually more is said than done.
I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.
I married my wife for her looks... but not the ones she's been giving me lately!
No one ever says "It's only a game," when their team is winning.
I gave my son a hint. On his room door I put a sign: "CHECKOUT TIME IS 18"
If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead rabbits on the highway?
How come we choose from just two people for president and 50 for Miss America?
Ever notice that people who spend money on beer, cigarettes, and lottery tickets are always complaining about being broke and not feeling well?
On my first day of school my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery. There I was... surrounded by trees and bushes.
Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?
I earn a seven-figure salary. Unfortunately, there's a decimal point involved.
The next time you feel like complaining, remember: Your garbage disposal probably eats better than thirty percent of the people in this world.
I just got back from a pleasure trip - I drove my wife to the airport!
Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
Home is where you can say anything you like 'cause nobody listens to you anyway.
I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
Sign In Pet Store: "Buy one dog, get one flea..."
Dyslexia means never having to say that you're yrros.
If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the "terminal"?
I see your IQ test results were negative.
Regular naps prevent old age... especially if you take them while driving.
I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
How much can I get away with and still go to heaven?
The most precious thing we have is life. Yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
I have learned there is little difference in husbands, so you might as well keep the first.
If life deals you lemons, make lemonade; if life deals you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Travel is very educational. I can now say "Kaopectate" in seven different languages.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Amarilla: that Clericus cast giant strength for those who need it to get all corpse

-there are certain items, if one looks carefully enough for them, which can be used to cast giant strength. it is also possible to get specific items from the corpse first, namely those that boost str, before attempting to get the rest. failing that, it is a VERY rare occurence that there are NO characters on capable of casting giant strength, and most are generally very helpful after a death. all that being said, i still think it's a good idea, just not a very useful one in general.
or at least a potion in the magician?
Gilvain: Make a time adjustment from military to normal (9 PM instead of 21 o clock) for lazy people like me who doesn't like to do math

-there's lazy, and then there's LAZY! what i want to know is what possible reason a coder would have to NOT be lazy, cook up some code, and implement this idea, all just to save people the 0.3 seconds it would take to do 21 - 12 = 9.
I got this already. I was confused if the system time is changable (via location) and was EST. And you know I'm lazy, no need to read the idea. :)
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Prodigy wrote: i think that the general info channel (the one used for emotes, eyc) should be included in the color menu and be customizable
I agree.
Prodigy wrote: we should really be able to "look #.item" in our inventories. after all, what reason could there be to explain why you can only look at the last item you picked up, not at the item of your choice?
I agree.
Disaster wrote: i think every race should have atleast one skill at level 2, to make it easier for heroes to show newbies about practicing skills
Yeah, I guess. Should also be in guild. No need to punish them for oog for the sake of education.
Suicide wrote: demons should be able to save at level 1, to avoid problems with link death and unsaved pfiles
Demons are saved at level 1. Stars going poof on his infamouse five billion remort times made this happen.
Comatose wrote: a hero that flees should lose exp
This was done as one of the "perks" of hitting 51. You get AVATAR enchants, you get heal restore, and you get 0xp loss from fleeing. Besides, what's a couple thousand xp points when you're getting 600k per kill?

Utena wrote: A "help bot" for those people who doesn't know about it and for people to know that it is illegal.
Kiri wrote: great idea. Next boot, it's in help rules.
:D
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

I just wanted to clarify Amarilla's idea for giant strength. I know it seems silly and corpses are VERY easy for US to get. The idea was for the *true newbies* few though they are, they are out there, and they don't KNOW to get specific str boosting eq out of their corpses. Nor do they know which eq does it usually. And as for a nice character willing to help out morts with corpses...ROFL ...who are you guys kidding. I've logged on my mort now 3 times in the last couple of weeks to help newbies out because no high level morts playing at the time were willing to stop leveling their characters and lend a hand. We sometimes forget how little newbies tend to know. Most of us have been around for years and years and think death and corpse retrivial is soooo easy. Yet when you have been playing for 2 days and die to papa smurf, it is pretty scary and confusing. *My personal first expieriance with death* And had a very nice hero named Stars not come and helped me, then put on his mort and showed me around and taught me alot of things, I would NOT be playing BR today and my whole life would have been differant.
Ok done ranting. *toes*
*bounces around* Dev
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

This true newbie will probably ask why he can't get his stuff out. Then he will be told and helped or figure out to help himself.

Giant strength is available from levels 1-10. Once you reach level 11, you no longer qualify as "true newbie". You are now a floundering player. :)
- George Bernard Shaw
xorex

Post by xorex »

how much junk are these newbies carrying around anyway? i doubt it's gonna help them that much whether they take it out of their corpse or not.
Last edited by xorex on Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Xorex
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

Divebomb wrote:This was done as one of the "perks" of hitting 51. You get AVATAR enchants, you get heal restore, and you get 0xp loss from fleeing. Besides, what's a couple thousand xp points when you're getting 600k per kill?
Ok. you have a point about the couple thousand xp compared 600k, but why still lose xp if a hero recalls from battle?
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Anakin wrote:

I got this already. I was confused if the system time is changable (via location) and was EST. And you know I'm lazy, no need to read the idea. :)
Alright. System time is CST (or CDT... it does change for daylight savings time). You can change what the time command displays by using the "timezone" command. (Help timezone shows the usage for it.) It will then show your local time in addition to the system time when using the time command.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Comatose wrote:
Divebomb wrote:This was done as one of the "perks" of hitting 51. You get AVATAR enchants, you get heal restore, and you get 0xp loss from fleeing. Besides, what's a couple thousand xp points when you're getting 600k per kill?
Ok. you have a point about the couple thousand xp compared 600k, but why still lose xp if a hero recalls from battle?
Hero's shouldn't flee completely! They should run long enough to heal and then get their lazy butts back in there and fight til the death!

Actually I just have no idea, they probably shouldn't, but it doesn't seem like a big deal one way or the other. I suppose for consistency, one direction should be chosen.
- George Bernard Shaw
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

Divebomb wrote:
Comatose wrote:
Hero's shouldn't flee completely! They should run long enough to heal and then get their lazy butts back in there and fight til the death!

Actually I just have no idea, they probably shouldn't, but it doesn't seem like a big deal one way or the other. I suppose for consistency, one direction should be chosen.

OK this probably isn't worth the effort for the minimal amount of xp lost, but maybe the xp lost should be greater. Now I am just being a pain. :twisted: