Deceemmber 12, 2004

This is where you can read the newsletters on the forum. Any replies are fair game to be put in the real thing.
kiri
Needs Help

Deceemmber 12, 2004

Post by kiri »

Welcome to the Barren Realms MUD Newsletter:

Visit us at telnet://barren.coredcs.com:8000/
or our web site at http://www.barrenrealmsmud.com/

IDEAS:

Havoc: druids should have a spell called enhanced healing which makes the affected char heal more and faster per tick

Havoc: elves or illithids should have a spell called enhanced revive or mana which restores more mp per tick

Tea: add autopeek if you have peek, it's annoying to have to type 2 separate commands for what is essentially
the same thing. It'd be like backstab and kill having to be separate...

see: have chath1 chath2 chath3 etc. the higher the number the further back it goes, so you are not limited to the
last 10 things said.

Havoc: I would like to see a skill for kenders that is called Stealth, which is a combination of both hide and
sneak at the same time.

Xer: option config auto_save after fights

MindBender: allow people to change the colour of the damage others deal or receive

SoulReaper: make other peoples damage to mobs a different color so its easier to tell the difference - thanks

Tea: don't have the guardian as a teacher, move the demon guildmaster to opposite the druids, perhaps?

Havoc: a spell for druids called feast, in which it makes you full foodwise and drinkwise both and it affects all
in the room

Solkanar: your first ever drink should make you very drunk so you realise the perils of alcohol... ;-)

Solkanar: please remove kick for druids... Actually, has any druid ever used kick at level 25? Ever?

Characters that need to log on or will be deleted:
Acob, Alyria, Argos, Ari, Aril, Aves, Aviar, Chilari, Dryden, Freespace, Gallite, Gowild, Hapoom, Irulan,
Jetstar, Jundao, Kendall, Kenoi, Laike, Maelstrom, Megumi, Misterman, Moopah, Ovo, Radagahst, Rage, Victorii,
Vingar, Xeddicus.

-----------
Kiri's WWW of URLs:

Blame scav:

http://www.gluemeat.com/archives/000552.html

Can you beat Scav and I at this?

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/states_ ... s_500.html

Oakley sent us this world sunlight map!

http://www.die.net/earth/

A portfolio, really awesome

http://www.steeldolphin.com/

-------------------

Subject: 20 funny things

1) When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died
peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the
passengers in his car."

--Author Unknown

2) Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you
get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle:
"Take two aspirin" and "Keep away from children."

--Author Unknown

3) "Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a
support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they
meet at the bar."

--Drew Carey

4) "The problem with the designated driver program, it's
not a desirable job, but if you ever get sucked into
doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night,
drop them off at the wrong house."

--Jeff Foxworthy

5) "If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball
and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the
infant's life without even considering if there is a man on
base."

--Dave Barry

6) "Relationships are hard. It's like a full time job, and
we should treat it like one. If your boyfriend or girlfriend
wants to leave you, they should give you two weeks' notice.
There should be severance pay, the day before they leave
you, they should have to find you a temp."

--Bob Ettinger

7) "My Mom said she learned how to swim when someone took
her out in the lake and threw her off the boat. I said, 'Mom,
they weren't trying to teach you how to swim.'"

--Paula Poundstone

8) "A study in the Washington Post says that women have
better verbal skills than men. I just want to say to the
authors of that study: "Duh."

--Conan O'Brien

9) "Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm
halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....
I could be eating a slow learner."

--Lynda Montgomery

10) "I think that's how Chicago got started. Bunch of
people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime
and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's
go west.'"

--Richard Jeni

11) "If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the
impersonators would be dead."

--Johnny Carson

12) "Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us
geography."

--Paul Rodriguez

13) "My parents didn't want to move to Florida, but they
turned sixty and that's the law."

--Jerry Seinfeld

14) "Remember in elementary school, you were told that in
case of fire you have to line up quietly in a single file line
from smallest to tallest. What is the logic in that? What,
do tall people burn slower?"

--Warren Hutcherson

15) "Bigamy is having one wife/husband too many. Monogamy is
the same."

--Oscar Wilde

16) "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a
member of Congress... But I repeat myself."

--Mark Twain

17) "Our bombs are smarter than the average high school
student At least they can find Afghanistan."

--A. Whitney Brown

18) "Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a
place."

--Billy Crystal

19) "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog
will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right!
I never would've thought of that!'"

--Dave Barry
My blog is located at:

http://www.jarrodlarocco.com/kiri
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us
geography."

--Paul Rodriguez
It builds character. :lol:
"If you have a right to someone else's approval, then they do not have a right to their own opinions and values." - Dr. Thomas Sowell

http://ws6.blogspot.com
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

ok, here's my responses...

Havoc: druids should have a spell called enhanced healing which makes the affected char heal more and faster per tick
-i like it, but druids already have far too many in-guild spells. maybe if it counted as an oog spell it wouldn't impact on balance too much, and possibly if it was castable on the caster only not on others?

Havoc: elves or illithids should have a spell called enhanced revive or mana which restores more mp per tick -maybe, but i'm not as much of a fan of this as of the healing version for druids. anything that enhances mana regen without some serious negative side-affects runs the risk of really screwing with game balance

Tea: add autopeek if you have peek, it's annoying to have to type 2 separate commands for what is essentially
the same thing. It'd be like backstab and kill having to be separate...
-peek used to work that way actually, but it was changed because it was bloody annoying that way, especially when looking at heros. i'd be in favour of a config option, autopeek, but failing that you can always just set up a poor man's version of this using aliases.

see: have chath1 chath2 chath3 etc. the higher the number the further back it goes, so you are not limited to the
last 10 things said.
-not a bad idea i suppose, but then again if you want to see 5 hours worth of conversations, you could always just make sure you play more without being AFK ;)

Havoc: I would like to see a skill for kenders that is called Stealth, which is a combination of both hide and
sneak at the same time.
-hide is perfectly useless, why combine it with anything?

Xer: option config auto_save after fights
-why? to my knowledge the only way for information to be "lost" in such a way as to cause you to revert to your last save is for the mud to crash. thankfully, that doesn't happen much any more. if i'm wrong on this, please point it out to me, but as i see it this would be a total waste of time, and potentially worse if bringing in code like this opened up the possibility of crash-causing bugs as things involving saving of files are apt to do.

MindBender: allow people to change the colour of the damage others deal or receive
-sounds good to me. a different colour for groupdamageinflicted and groupdamagereceived for instance?

SoulReaper: make other peoples damage to mobs a different color so its easier to tell the difference - thanks
-as above

Tea: don't have the guardian as a teacher, move the demon guildmaster to opposite the druids, perhaps?
-wonderful idea. i believe it was a vnum numbering issue that was the original reason? i might be mistaken though.

Havoc: a spell for druids called feast, in which it makes you full foodwise and drinkwise both and it affects all
in the room
-no, bad idea. i don't want anyone messing with how full i am without my consent *raspberry* all group members, maybe, but definately not everyone in the room.

Solkanar: your first ever drink should make you very drunk so you realise the perils of alcohol...
-or, maybe, your first ever drink should be a gentle one, so that newbies don't get scared off by something they weren't prepared for and which makes playing much more difficult? also, (it's been a while, i forget if this already exists) maybe all the places in calathar where you can buy booze should have warning signs posted, for the benefit of newbies?

Solkanar: please remove kick for druids... Actually, has any druid ever used kick at level 25? Ever?
-well, you've gotta do something when the mana runs out....if you don't like it, don't learn it.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

disaster wrote:Havoc: I would like to see a skill for kenders that is called Stealth, which is a combination of both hide and
sneak at the same time.
-hide is perfectly useless, why combine it with anything?
Hide isn't perfectly useless... It's just currently impossible to use. There are tons of see-invis aggros around the realms that don't see hidden. The problem is that the hide skill wears off as soon as you move. Now, you make a hide skill that lets you move with it, voila! Easier cr's, immediately. (Alright, so sneak does essentially that already. It would still help against hate_align and hate_race specs. Besides, hide really shouldn't wear off automatically should you try to move - you just have to move more carefully... maybe a check of some sort to see if someone noticed you.....)
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

and possibly a time-delay on moving when hidden? not too much of one probably, but enough that it would be only moderately inconvenient, as a trade off for a new and improved version of hide?
Slart

Post by Slart »

Ideally you're supposed to sneak to the next room and then hide as soon as you can. Some of our mob specs may defeat this strategy, however, because the special function update is quite a lot faster than the human ability to react. Those with avatar aliases may wish to experiment. *shrug*
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

of course, those with avatar aliases very rarely find themselves in need of hiding from anything *grin*