February 24, 2005

This is where you can read the newsletters on the forum. Any replies are fair game to be put in the real thing.
kiri
Needs Help

February 24, 2005

Post by kiri »

Welcome to the Barren Realms MUD Newsletter:

Visit us at telnet://barren.coredcs.com:8000/
or our web site at http://www.barrenrealmsmud.com/

----------------------------------------------------

Idea:

Firestar: maybe an argument that one can add to inventory so that only the
specified type of item is listed.

These characters need to login:

Abigail, Ahriman, Aldur, Alterak, Anri, Aragorn, Aurian, Azhure, Blackhawk, Blashyrkh, Bluehawk, Bluetear, Bonecrusher, Bonji, Caramus,
DarkOak, Delcore, Dementia, Destiny, Dwarfuser, Electra, Elendor, Entrails, Faulkner, Freska, Garlan, Gibblets, Goldfinger, Gondor,
Gonzo, Gosudruid, Gosudwarf, Harn, Heartless, Jetli, Ladrin, Logan, Obiwan, Olivia, Pollux, Quao, Rarehunter, RedHawk, Sandallic,
Shatterstar, Shinji, Splinter, Squantonius, Tadi, Tarlissa, Thedoorman, Timika, Tzah, Whitehawk, Xiata

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replies by Disaster:

replies:

Piton: if you trip a mob, they should not be able to flee immediately in the next round
-i'm not sure they do this in the first place, but if they do i'd expect that things like this might be reworked once trip is fixed up in regards to underwater rooms?

Xer: avatar chat?
-blech. already people don't chat enough and hide out in herochat instead. the only use for avatarchat that i can see if to talk behind the backs of certain heroes, and if you want ot do that so badly then you can go through the effort of using tell or mtell. mtell aliases aren't too hard ot set up, if you read the helps.
[
Xer: its too easy for you to get to black hole in clocktower, why dosent the boss at the top (after the dragon) should have a key - will make it a bit more challenging...
-i'd put this one down to area builder's discretion. is it really enough of a big deal to worry about? *shrug*

Jatproco: change the system so heroes arent so seperated from mortals. Lots of mortals
dont help noobs becuase they're restricted IMO
-hunh?? explanation please. i can understand heroes not wanting to help noobs who are no longer level 1, since it's such a huge pain in the ass not being able to follow them, but for mortals i don't see how they're restricted. oh, and not to be a pain, but i will re-suggest that heroes be allowed to follow mortals up to level 5. there are a lot of noobs who still need help until then, and having to follow them around room by room is a huge pain in the ass.
[
Extreemist: why not give healers the ability to cure drunk
-because that would defeat the whole purpose of having negative effects to drunkeness? if such a cure existed, it would have ot be so prohibitively expensive for game balance that it would be cheaper to heal mana instead. best solution: drink less, or drink something less alcoholic

Xer: if you track something, and have the trigger so you move automatically, can you make
it so you dont get booted if something is more than 20 of one direction?
-one letter commands don't cause you to be booted, so change your trigger to use n e s w u d instead of north east south west up down

AMystery: undead mob parts need to be timed. so that the head of tiggy doesn't hang around
for weeks and clutter up an area
-not a bad idea, though i'd prefer it if it was a builder option instead of a universal change. in fact, it would be really nice if more control could be had over undead parts in many respects, for instance which of the original mob's characteristics are inherited by undead parts. oh, and speaking of undead parts, currently the messages that are given are a little out of whack, you might get a message saying an arm has been lopped off, but in fact it was a head that was created. *shrug* thought i'd mention it while i was thinking of it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kiri's WWW of URLs:

Cheesy but neat chocolates!

http://www.creativechocolatesofvt.com/P ... =Household

Funky Name NBA Team

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ncaa/nameteam.html

Evil.... on a budget?!

http://www.trygve.com/evilonabudget.html

Beautiful Scientific Pics

http://www.eyeofscience.de/eos2/index2.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amusing Irrelevant facts

In Kentucky, 50% of the people who get married for the first time are teenagers.

Kotex was first manufactured as bandages, during WWI.

Einstein couldn't speak fluently when he was nine. His parents thought he might be retarded.

In Los Angeles, there are fewer people than there are automobiles.

About a third of all Americans flush the toilet while they're still sitting on it.

You're more likely to get stung by a bee on a windy day that in any other weather.

An average person laughs about 5 times a day.

Research indicates that mosquitoes are attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas.

Penguins can jump as high as 6 feet in the air.

The average person is about a quarter of an inch taller at night.

A sneeze zooms out of your mouth at over 600 m.p.h.

The condom - made originally of linen - was invented in the early 500s.

The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

A Saudi Arabian woman can get a divorce if her husband doesn't give her coffee.

The Neanderthal's brain was bigger than yours is.

Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

The average bank teller loses about $250 every year.

In 980, there was only one country in the world with no telephones - Bhutan.

Every person has a unique tongue print.

Your right lung takes in more air than your left one does.

Women's hearts beat faster than men's.

Pollsters say that 40% of dog and cat owners carry pictures of the pets in their wallets.

Bubble gum contains rubber.

You can only smell /20th as well as a dog.

Only 55% of all Americans know that the sun is a star.

The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in Jello.

Even if you cut off a cockroach's head, it can live for several weeks.

Most American car horns honk in the key of F.

The world population of chickens is about equal to the number of people.

Every time Beethoven sat down to write music, he poured ice water over his head.

In 75% of American households, women manage the money and pay the bills.

A monkey was once tried and convicted for smoking a cigarette in South Bend, Indiana.

About 70% of Americans who go to college do it just to make more money.

It's against the law to catch fish with your bare hands in Kansas.

Some toothpastes contain antifreeze.

Sigmund Freud had a morbid fear of ferns.

Millie the White House dog earned more than 4 times as much as Pres. Bush in 99. And, rightfully so.

Bird droppings are the chief export of Nauru, an island nation in the western Pacific.

There are more plastic flamingos in America than real ones.

Most lipstick contains fish scales.

Lee Harvey Oswald's cadaver tag sold at an auction for $6,600 in 992.

Mosquitoes have teeth.

Spotted skunks do handstands before they spray.

Hypnotism is banned by public schools in San Diego.

The three best-known western names in China: Jesus Christ, Richard Nixon, and Elvis Presley.

When snakes are born with two heads, they fight each other for food.

Most cows give more milk when they listen to music.

27% of U.S. male college students believe life is "a meaningless existential hell."

In 980, a Las Vegas hospital suspended workers for betting on when patients would die.

Aztec emperor Montezuma had nephew, Cuitlahac, whose name meant "plenty of excrement."

Thomas Edison was afraid of the dark.

"Kemo Sabe" means "soggy shrub" in Navajo.
My blog is located at:

http://www.jarrodlarocco.com/kiri
snarf

Post by snarf »

In 980, a Las Vegas hospital suspended workers for betting on when patients would die.
In 980, there was only one country in the world with no telephones - Bhutan.
Are we having trouble with the '1'-key?
I don't care for tights, she says, but does not tell me why.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Jatproco: change the system so heroes arent so seperated from mortals. Lots of mortals
dont help noobs becuase they're restricted IMO
The other day Jatproco asked me to give him an enchant, which, as I understand, is not allowed. I said no and told him any mortal elf could help though.

If you mean by "help" spell-ups and gifts, heroes really can't help in that sence without seriously skewing the game. It's not suposed to be a one day, I started at level 1 now I am an Avatar4 game.

Heroes can, and usually do, help by giving advice, tips, and sometimes even bring your corpse back after you have wandered into a room with a see-invis argo that 20 levels higher than you.

Basically, what I am saying is, we try to help, but we won't just handover the game to you. It's suposed to be challenging.

PS: high level enchants and special eq do come along every now and then in quests and at the whim of certain Immortals. Keep playing Jatproco! :D
"If you have a right to someone else's approval, then they do not have a right to their own opinions and values." - Dr. Thomas Sowell

http://ws6.blogspot.com
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

um, last i checked Jatproco is an avatar demon. i'm confused.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Oops. I think you're right! Some mort with a J name asked me for said enchant. Sometimes the brain is a mysterious thing! Or, as is ften in my case, sometimes it is a worthless piece of junk rivaling a Tandy. :oops:
"If you have a right to someone else's approval, then they do not have a right to their own opinions and values." - Dr. Thomas Sowell

http://ws6.blogspot.com
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i'm still confused about the original statement. i understand "change the system so that heroes aren't so separated from mortals" and would even agree with it if i didn't know so many people would abuse it. what i don't get is how that relates suddenly to mortals being restricted from helping noobs, nor in what way mortals are restricted from helping noobs.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.
I'm sorry to say this, but Donald Duck were never banned from Finland. =)