April 29, 2005

This is where you can read the newsletters on the forum. Any replies are fair game to be put in the real thing.
kiri
Needs Help

April 29, 2005

Post by kiri »

Sorry for the lapse - I got a new job :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Barren Realms MUD Newsletter:

Visit us at telnet://barren.coredcs.com:8000/
or our web site at http://www.barrenrealmsmud.com/

----------------------------------------------------

IDEAS:

Buzz: there should be a flag for IAW

AMystery: new kender skill "master thief" that at level 40 or so
lets a kender steal items being equipped, using the same steal command,
just working better

AMystery: I'd really like undead mob parts to die after a time, so they don't just keep
building up in some areas

AMystery: also plague probably shouldn't cause undead limbs to appear, it gets spammy

Disaster: area builder ability to determine if a spellweapon's spell will affect the user,
or the target (talk about a cursed weapon!)

AMystery: turn based combat. not as a regular combat replacement, but as an arena attribute,
it would give a whole new complexity to it, and make avatar and imm battles possible again,
and let mortals try and experiment

Disaster: we should be able to follow newbies up until level 5, and remorting should only
be possible at level 5 and over to avoid the level 2 demon spam

AMystery: I'd really like basic if...then functionality in aliases, so that I could
command reward slart no and it would make the reward but not give him, but having reward
slart yes would make the reward and give it to him

Score: set a side an area where remorting demons can go to kill and level that won't take
away from the newbies who are trying to level.

Havoc: We need a sayh command for a say history

Disaster: is it possible that hinfo reports the level of the mob if there are any seeinvis
in the room? undead parts can be misleading for us

Disaster: "hide" should show up in affects

Demonlord: on the base stats idea, why not move the auto setting stuff over to the edge
of the stats display and put the base/affected stats between items/weight and the auto
stuff? or if not that, add on the scroe page a third /with max base stats

Disaster: in "help colors" the listings for the various colours should be thta colour, if
it isn't a huge hassle to code that

Disaster: when you charm a mob and its descrip is appended with a charm message, that
message should include info about whether or not hte mob is naturally aggresive (so high
level characters can still tell if the mob is dangerous, despite not being attacked by
it themselves)

Disaster: all spells should be considered in guild for avatars, since otherwise the
avatar's normal oog spells lag more than the ones they only get at avatar

Flowerbud: ReCap command - that allows you to recapitalize you name (ie Flowerbud to
FlowerBud)

Disaster: three seperate damp/dams, one for each weapon, and one for natural bonus
attacks

Disaster: the "guard" flag on mobs should make them assist whichever player/mob has
an alignment that is closest to their own, not whichever is higher

Disaster: be nice to have a way to force undead mobs to keep their eq instead of losing
it to parts

Disaster: the sex in profile should be the character's base sex, not that affected by
change sex

Disaster: more lines in profile, for MSN, AIM, Yahoo and IRC. shouldn't add too much
to pfile size i don't think, and i don't think the coding would be too difficult since
the ICQ code should function in teh exact same way

Hoctas: How about a 'gi' for humans? It would give some armor-like protection (perhaps
a sliding scale based on level?) and lend a little realism to the game. Thanks! Hoctas
---------------------------

Kiri's WWW of URLs:

... an hour or less, a buck or less ... great bargains at Ebay

http://www.lastminute-auction.com/

It's the Mount St. Helens volcano-cam

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Some pretty pictures

http://www.myth.com/mythopoeia/

Do you or family members have unclaimed property?

http://www.unclaimed.org/mainframe.asp? ... Type=owner

--------------------------------

Not Necessarily Lying

These start off as politicians skirting the truth. Other quotes have been added toward
the end, which have no relationship to the political ones. They're still funny. I've
removed the Dan Quayle quotes from this list because I already have a huge pile of them.

"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law."
David Dinkins, New York City Mayor, answering accusations that he failed to pay his
taxes.

"They gave me a book of checks. They didn't ask for any deposits."
Congressman Joe Early (D-Mass) at a press conference to answer questions about the
House Bank Scandal.

"He didn't say that. He was reading what was given to him in a speech."
Richard Darman, director of OMB, explaining why President Bush wasn't following up on
his campaign pledge that there would be no loss of wetlands.

"It depends on your definition of asleep. They were not stretched out. They had their eyes
closed. They were seated at their desks with their heads in a nodding position."
John Hogan, Commonwealth Edison Supervisor of News Information, responding to a charge
by a Nuclear Regulatory Commission inspector that two Dresden Nuclear Plant operators were
sleeping on the job.

"I didn't accept it. I received it."
Richard Allen, National Security Advisor to President Reagan, explaining the $1000 in
cash and two watches he was given by two Japanese journalists after he helped arrange a
private interview for them with First Lady Nancy Reagan.

"I was a pilot flying an airplane and it just so happened that where I was flying made
what I was doing spying."
Francis Gary Power, U-2 reconnaissance pilot held by the Soviets for spying, in an
interview after he was returned to the US.

"I was under medication when I made the decision not to burn the tapes."
President Richard Nixon

"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life."
Brooke Shields, during an interview to become spokesperson for a federal anti-smoking
campaign.

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body."
Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward.

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country."
Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC

"Sure, it's going to kill a lot of people, but they may be dying of something else anyway."
Othal Brand, member of a Texas pesticide review board, on chlordane.

"Are you any relation to your brother Marv?"
Leon Wood, New Jersey Nets guard, to Steve Albert, Nets TV commentator.

"Beginning in February 1976 your assistance benefits will be discontinued ... Reason: it
has been reported to our office that you expired on January 1, 1976."
Letter from the Illinois Department of Public Aid

"The streets are safe in Philadelphia. It's only the people who make them unsafe."
Frank Rizzo, ex-police chief and mayor of Philadelphia.

"I've always thought that underpopulated countries in Africa are vastly underpolluted."
Lawrence Summers, chief economist of the World Bank, explaining why we should export
toxic wastes to Third World countries.

"The crime bill passed by the Senate would reinstate the Federal death penalty for certain
violent crimes: assassinating the President; hijacking an airliner; and murdering a
government poultry inspector."
Knight Ridder News Service dispatch

"After finding no qualified candidates for the position of principal, the school board
is extremely pleased to announce the appointment of David Steele to the post."
Philip Streifer, Superintendent of Schools, Barrington Rhode Island.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."
Dizzy Dean explaining how he felt after being hit on the head by a ball in the 1934
World Series.
My blog is located at:

http://www.jarrodlarocco.com/kiri