May 6, 2003

This is where you can read the newsletters on the forum. Any replies are fair game to be put in the real thing.
kiri
Needs Help

May 6, 2003

Post by kiri »

News from the Realms:

Kharn: quest

Hey all, welcome to the Scattergorys Quest!

It's an E-Mail quest, everyone may participate.

Here are the rules:

Write down a Mob, an Item and an Area beginning with A,

with B ... with Z.

You get one point for every entry,

5 extra points if noone else has the same entry

and 10 extra points if you have unique entrys in all three categories of a letter.

For Mobs and Items, the Keywoards count. For areas, the first word counts.

Of course, the one with the most points wins ;)

Send your entries to Kharn@fal40k.de within the next two weeks,

At the "areas", of course articles does -not- count.

So "The Astral Plane" runs under A, not under T. (and it still does not count for P)

------------

Rorin: Stew of Torture (Quest)

Mon May 5 05:28:14 2003

To: all

"Thrice the brinded cat hath mewd.

Thrice and once the hedge pig whined.

Harpier cries 'Tis time, 'tis time."

More information about the quest at:

http://www.barrenrealmsmud.com/forum/vi ... =2199#2199

---------------

Kiri: the current quests running

Mon May 5 05:59:00 2003

Hey folks! I just wanted to point out that there are quite a few quests running right now.

This is because I have started a "quest committee" and have asked our wonderful heroes

to join in and throw lots of quests for you guys. The thing about quests though, is,

if people don't participate the people RUNNING the quests get really depressed.

And rightly so, they put a lot of work into these things :)

But quests are lots of fun to play in, and a great way to meet people on the MUD

and run around and do crazy things with your friends.

I encourage everyone to join in and participate in as many quests as they can.

-------------------------

Rorin: Pop Quest

Tue May 6 17:03:55 2003

Another spur of the moment quest...

More like "Find a mob" quest.

Well, there's only two winners: Faye with 5 points and Aluminum with 4.

Xorex is sponsoring quest but had gone before the quest is over.

He should be able to give out the prizes when he comes back on.

----------------------------

IDEAS: Please hit reply and send your responses!

AMystery: I wonder if the track code could be improved by having it search for mobs near your level first. that should be the majority so it should be the fastest

Melissa: the command for 'away from keyboard' should be altered so that when the flag is put up, you don't suffer the effects of hunger, or at least not as fast, and so on, since you are *away* from the computer. It can also be altered so that it cannot be t

Peel: a dispel magic spell that you can pay a healer to cast on you

Liubei: an item that affects your align

Moldfinger: change it so you can hr from battle

Eol: could we have a listing of level 151 Demons on the Wizlist ?

AMystery: I'd love it if the reimb list would show you what mob and vnum each corpse was created in/by. I had one of my char's corpses vanish and i didn't know what killed me

Peel: a demons normal human arm should be able to disarm someone if it does nothing... or have a skill where it could tie up the mobs arm if they have a weapon so they cant hit u with the weapon

Akasha: How bout extending the benefits of ac further past -300 ac or whatever invincible is, -1500 ac shouldnt be good for nothing

Ack: Give size to pets (or anything for that matter) and that way you could put the smaller pets inside packs (ie ferrets, if you charm a smurf or somethign)

Moldfinger: the destruction of a foul rites bag claims it singes your hands. it should do a little damage

Shadowhawk: Have "heal restore" cure poison and disease if needed. Yes, I'm that lazy.

AMystery: avians and demons now vary from the normal equipment slots. Lets continue the theme by adding and removing some slots from other races, especially Ill which is a different body type

AMystery: we have a message for the first time they type delete, lets have a message for the second delete also to know if they actually left or just considered it...

Squanto: it would be gee-golly swell if GTELL decoded drunken messages too, cuz sometimes u wanna talk to ur group without waking up... maybe a reason u were drunk in the first place

Eol: if you cannot exam your pack while asleep, then why CAN you check your inventory?

Gauss: the invis and detect magic commands have the same description "your eyes tingle". It would be nice if they were different for triggers.

AMystery: it seems to me that potions give one time use of the spell, but scrolls really teach you how to use it. Shouldn't we learn a spell by using a scroll?

AMystery: we should be able to throw potions. They hit the victim, splatter and activate

Eol: a sac all.corpse ability

Utena: Coffee should counter being drunk

Lairian: It would probably be nice to change "Help Enhance" to reflect the ability to increase mana and hit points.

Moldfinger: add the keyword for the limb being replaced to either the message when you level or the message the first time you type replace

Rorin: A message in hinfo "see sneak"

Rorin: Would be nice if we can toggle a timestamp in config and the channel histories would come up with it once toggled on

AMystery: move BR to IPv6, make us even more geeky

-----------------------------------------------------------

Responses by Amystery:

Hello people, I'm bored and I've shared my knowledge with everyone else, so now I will add some to these ideas.

AMystery: it doesn't seem right that wimpy and memory can be used together. if the mob flees then it shouldn't remember me and try to attack, it already knows its inferior

Makes sense to me, but who says logic matters in a game where we kill giant talking fire newts?

Stars: make it so that you sell items to only the shopkeeper that can buy them. That way you will not get the message "aod looks uninterested in a sword".

Not necessary

Birdseye: make all mobs become aggressive in the arena *g*

Interesting idea, of course we don't like having mobs in the arena

Grogar: pills shouldn't be affected by hunger..

I dunno, I find it hard to swallow a pill when I'm very full. Still, it is frustrating when I can't eat a red pill after a pie.

Wood: there should be a druid spell called create beer

Make it create firebreather, just so it has a downside

DevilsAngel: a history of all the tells you have sent

I would like this! I often wish just what I said that someone is replying to.

Leiland: ban laughing buddha from the arena

Sounds fair.

CrazyChaos: when you're in the rapids, a lake, a river, etc. you should be able to drink from it like drinking from a fountain

It would make sense, but unfortunately that's not practical with the area file design. Now if you were underwater, i could see it happening, of course you would drown if you tried to drink while underwater...

RadicalEd: create a new type of afk, only called aak for when i fall asleep while mudding...

How would you set this if you are asleep?

RadicalEd: make the O in c4 a different color than the board so its easier to see?

I tried to check this out, but the machine doesn't like me. If it is the same color, I'm all for it being more visible.

Xorex: when someone summons a mob, it should get a flag so that only people grouped with the summoner can get experience for killing it

This would really annoy people who have high alts for summoning, but that's fine with me. Another idea would be to make summoned mobs aggro to the summoner. I know if someone ripped me from my home, through another dimension and into a strange area I'd be rather pissed.

Xorex: There should be a restrictive measure on healing spells, either making them only work on grouped members or making them cost exponentially more to cast on other players with levels nowhere near the caster's

Intriguing. I do like the idea of restricting players just healing just anyone, but I'm not sure this is the best way. I'd rather not restrict it by code.

Birdseye: allow thief mobs to steal from other mobs, and have the mobs react to the thief as they would react to a player stealing from them

It would be amusing and I can see the benefit of having thief mobs do what they logically should. Not a very high priority though.

Birdseye: vision should not be affected by drunkenness, or detect hidden should be affected by drunkenness - they are both about powers of observation...

I wasn't aware any skills were affected by drunkenness, especially vision. I never noticed this on my avians at least, but next time I have a more one, I'll check

Keiichi: A help command to that gives information about being hit by lightning. Some people don't know they can be hit by lightning.

And when we add this, also add the command to let the imms control the lightning bolt...for...um...subtle persuasion.

CrazyChaos: Frenzy/berzerk should last longer, but still not too much. Maybe kind of like Sanctuary works.

Its hard to stay enraged for very long. It would be interesting to have a negative consequence for using frenzy or berzerk too long. Staying enraged for too long hurts your heart, brain, makes you less able to functio, etc.

RadicalEd: some kind safety for remort like delete

Sounds good to me. I can see how I would be tired and type remort instead of recall.

Stars: make it impossible to trip or be tripped on or in water, swimming, sailing on a boat, underwater etc.

Sounds good, is there actually a room type that is on water? I don't recall it but i might be wrong. On a boat you could easily be tripped.

Icecold: nuke charmie code or modify it. i hate it. i hate it.

Why? I find it amusing.

hate hate hate it! hehe. how about it set your gold (bank account, too)

to 0 and your exp to the max you need to level instead of a killer flag?

Interesting, but killer flag is automatic. I'd rather have decisions such as changing xp and gold left up to an imm.

and make area attacks from players not affect char

area attacks don't hit players outside of the arena, or in for that matter

Stars: I love the idea of peek being a command for looking at players. However, I prefer to see a mob's inventory just by looking at it. How about switching it back just for mobs?

I agree, that would be nice. How about an autopeek and/or an autopeek player option?

Shi: you might want ot fix the help file for peek

Sounds good to me too

RadicalEd: change the peek help file so it matches the adjustment

See above

CrazyChaos: Maybe demons could get windzone or blast, dependant on what type of wings they get.

They already have a wing attack, no need for another, although adding some manual commands to use instead of auto attacks would be interesting. rather pointless though

Hana: I'd like something to be done about the Commander of the City Guard...I'm sick of him kicking my ass when I'm trying to kill termites

Don't attack him. He's not hard to avoid and is visible.

Crater: The "eyes of the green dragon" in Chmabers in the Clouds that teleport you to the council should take less time to teleport you.

Don't think its variable, but it might be a good idea.

Brodgar: Add a few bells and whistles to reimb so that data like renames aren't lost to crashes.

Also add information about what killed you and where to the log

Enter: the help peek should be updated due to the changes of the skill

Addressed above

Shi: there should be a use for extra prac sessions

Trade them in for gold?

Moldfinger: a way to forget a skill, particularly an OOG. You have an XP penalty of double your max XP for that level but then you go down to what it would be without the OOG penalty next level

I like that idea! Its brilliant! You are brilliant!

DevilsAngel: we should have a beep history, that way if we missed any we could see that!!

Do you have a problem with that many people beeping you? I tend to torture people who beep me unnecessarily.

DevilsAngel: that only Ken can use tainted weapons, like how only Elves and druids can handle flaming

It makes some sense. I'd rather see it so taht when a non-ken got a tainted weapon it would damage them and poison them, but they could still get it. You drop something burning, but taint is a slow killer. You could use it for a bit until you complete died. Even better, have a non-kender with a tainted weapon be unable to heal.

Peel: a skill/spell that avians can use to put poison on their claws

And when you sleep and wrap your claws around you, you get poisoned and die! Yeah!

Shadowhawk: how about demons get enhanced damage? We are supposed to be all mean and stuff right?

Yeah, demons are so weak! We desperate need to do something to fix them. Have you ever seen a demon in the arena? They are always getting their butts kicked!

Eol: a command that shows the ten most recent characters who used the profile command with your character's name

Privacy violation. You make the profile public, but the people looking at it still have a right to privacy.

Melissa: the command for 'away from keyboard' should be altered so that when the flag is put up, you don't suffer the effects of hunger, or at least not as fast, and so on, since you are *away* from the computer. It can also be altered so that it cannot be t

Then people would run around with the flag up so they don't get hungry. Now being unable to move while afk might be interesting.

That would be nice.

Be interesting. I could use this, especially when my demon gets hit with change align

Why?

Peel: a demons normal human arm should be able to disarm someone if it does nothing... or have a skill where it could tie up the mobs arm if they have a weapon so they cant hit u with the weapon

disarm requires a weapon, but using a bony stump I'd think you could disarm, also crush would seem to disarm a mob. Also make crush more useful.

Akasha: How bout extending the benefits of ac further past -300 ac or whatever invincible is, -1500 ac shouldnt be good for nothing

Often suggested, always desired. I think this will eventually happen. The problem is, you couldn't hit a mob with a -1500 ac either. Bruising a mob with 3 million hp is rather pointless.

Peel: poses for demons like all the other races

I'm for it. Write some

Ack: Give size to pets (or anything for that matter) and that way you could put the smaller pets inside packs (ie ferrets, if you charm a smurf or somethign)

Now this is a huge can of worms. its an amusing idea, but don't hold your breath:)

Moldfinger: the destruction of a foul rites bag claims it singes your hands. it should do a little damage

Make it 10% of the person's hp

Shadowhawk: Have "heal restore" cure poison and disease if needed. Yes, I'm that lazy.

Lets help the lazy person be lazier!

AMystery: avians and demons now vary from the normal equipment slots. Lets continue the theme by adding and removing some slots from other races, especially Ill which is a different body type

I'm all for making the races more unique.

-----------------------

Kiri's WWW of URLs:

From Shadowhawk, a site I've personally enjoyed very very much:

http://www.engrish.com/

From Amystery, something only a lawyer would enjoy.. which, I guess, I am.. soon, anyway

http://www.panix.com/~eck/telemarket.html

From Oakley.. soo.. soo true

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-03-2

I'm not sure of the point of this.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fetchfido/ ... _bunny.htm

---------------------

Top Ten Reasons Why Canada Will Not Join the USA in the War on Iraq (from Jatproco)

10. We have no way of getting there.

9. We're too busy at home with the maple syrup season.

8. Iraqis don't drink Labatt's beer.

7. Saddam's name pronounced backwards is "Mad Ass". We'll stay away from him.

6. There is only limited potential for sales of Canadian bacon in Iraq after the war.

5. Our Sea King helicopter was damaged and needs repairs.

4. Céline Dion can't sing to the troops because she has a contract in Las Vegas.

3. The rivers in Iraq are too shallow for our war canoes.

2. Our army is needed at home in case of another snow storm in Toronto.

And the Number 1 Reason Why Canada Will Not Join the USA in the War on Iraq

1. HELLO !!!!!! THE HOCKEY PLAYOFFS ARE STARTING!
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Crater: The "eyes of the green dragon" in Chmabers in the Clouds that teleport you to the council should take less time to teleport you.

Don't think its variable, but it might be a good idea.
It is set by the builder (in this case me).

The only reason Crater suggested the idea in the first place is because he and those who agree with him simply want to be able to kill the council faster to get the prizes. If I wanted the council to be quick and easy to kill, I would have made the timer lower.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

AMystery: I wonder if the track code could be improved by having it search for mobs near your level first. that should be the majority so it should be the fastest
Track is a complex set of code and you should be happy it works at all. :)
Except people would use it for immunity. If the flag was to drop upon doing any action, then people complain because they often use AFK solely so people don't disturb them (I've noticed first-hand people tend to ignore the BUSY flag, but take heed to the AFK flag).
I don't have a problem with that.
For what purpose? With our alignment range so high, it would have to be a huge affect and then it would probably cause it to flow over the -1000/+1000 mark. If it didn't (always rounded to -1000/1000) then what's the point of the affect in the first place?
Fine by me.
Why? A demon isn't that special that it should be segregated from the rest of the list.
AMystery: I'd love it if the reimb list would show you what mob and vnum each corpse was created in/by. I had one of my char's corpses vanish and i didn't know what killed me
I don't see why it really matters other than to satisfy your curiosity.
Umm right... cause you really could pull that off as a normal human (or non-demon if you prefer) with a normal arm....
The semantics of the code in relation to AC render this impossible. If you increase the AC range, then you increase it for mobs as well (rightly so). Except the affects AC has on a mob in a battle are far greater and grow much faster than the human. It would essentially be impossible to hit the mob at high levels.
Pets aren't objects. Unless the code was changed so that a mob inside a take-able enterable container (like a tent) was able to be picked up, this would be impossible. That code causes problems because of things like the tent where you shouldn't be able to pick it up with people inside it.
Eh, big deal.
Eh, whatever. :)
Well 10 years from now when illithids are looked at again, then i'm sure that'll be taken into consideration. :)
AMystery: we have a message for the first time they type delete, lets have a message for the second delete also to know if they actually left or just considered it...
I agree.
Squanto: it would be gee-golly swell if GTELL decoded drunken messages too, cuz sometimes u wanna talk to ur group without waking up... maybe a reason u were drunk in the first place
For the 18 millionth, and certainly not the last, time, the ability to "decode" drunk speak in chath is a bug. It was never fixed because of the ranting and uproar that would ensue. You're lucky you can read GTELL at all while asleep. What really needs to be done is find a viable solution to the "drunkeness to recover mana" problem that people like.
Eol: if you cannot exam your pack while asleep, then why CAN you check your inventory?
So which do you want? I would count myself lucky I can see my inventory and not complain about it. :)
Gauss: the invis and detect magic commands have the same description "your eyes tingle". It would be nice if they were different for triggers.
But what if they both DO make your eyes tingle? :)
AMystery: it seems to me that potions give one time use of the spell, but scrolls really teach you how to use it. Shouldn't we learn a spell by using a scroll?
Nah, you read the scroll. I can read Spanish but I probably don't know what most of it says. Reading the scroll causes the effects... the uttering of the words. You go to the trainer to truly LEARN how to do it. Scribing spells from scrolls would be ok with me, but that's a big system to implement.
AMystery: we should be able to throw potions. They hit the victim, splatter and activate
I agree. Didn't I put this in the dwarf proposal?
We don't have a sac all.anything ability for the reason that it could be done accidentally. Same with sac all.corpse (the mob might have picked up your buddy's sword).
It doesn't in real life. It's an urban myth.
Lairian: It would probably be nice to change "Help Enhance" to reflect the ability to increase mana and hit points.
Mmmm probably. :) You can report stuff like this with typo too and it's likely to get fixed. :)
Moldfinger: add the keyword for the limb being replaced to either the message when you level or the message the first time you type replace
I think it should give the "see help limb for more information" line when you level.
There is no see_sneak really. It's a weird thing with a spec and there aren't many mobs using it. Just listen for the cries of, "I was sneaking!"
Rorin: Would be nice if we can toggle a timestamp in config and the channel histories would come up with it once toggled on
I'll go along with this.
*pets AMystery*
- George Bernard Shaw
disaster
Needs Help

Re: May 6, 2003

Post by disaster »

-i disagree. part of the difficulty of track is finding tha correct mob, same as with tp. it's a sprite being summoned-why should the sprite care what level you are? sprites are notoriously tricky and have evil senses of humour-if anything, they should intentionally take you to mobs that are too high for you to kill, aggro, and see-invis ;)

-i disagree, but if this is to be implemented, it should also prohibit any commands from being entered other than the removal of the flag, as well as preventing hp/mana/move regeneration while the flag is in place

-i agree, though it should be quite expensive, and should be cast at the characters level, not the level of clericus, in order to maintain the possibility of failure

-i disagree. it would cause too much difficulty with going past -1000/1000, and if it was coded so that that wasn't possible, then there would be no point to it in the first place

-i totally agree, to avoid unneccesary recall spamming

-naw, totally unneccesary. if you REALLY want to know, just profile the avatars

-what's a reimb list? ;)

-the last thing we need is to make demons MORE powerful

-i believe that -300 should still be the min ac that does anything, but that for every X ac below that, some other benefit should occur, either a negative save vs spell modifier, or a bonus to hp, or something of that nature

-VERY difficult, and could easily lead to many nasty problems

-as if having the bag disapear weren't already annoying enough, but i don't see a problem with implementing this

-you're too lazy to type "c med" before you restore? i really don't see the point in going to the effort to code this

-i think it should be up for consideration during the reviews of races, but i don't think it should be done as a stand-alone, only in conjunction with a full overhaul such as the human and dwarf changes that have been being considered for some time now

-i'd say not 2 messages, but a message for the 2nd time instead of for the first. after all, what does knowing they considered deleting actually do?

-no

-your memory is good enough to remember what you were holding in your hands, but not good enough to remember everything in your 15 containers?

-i agree, but not for triggers. what would you need a trigger there for anyways? the trigger you'd want would depend on the message when the spell wears off, not when it's cast.

-you can read a piece of paper with a horrible insult on it without understanding it, or being able to reproduce the sounds later, but the big guy you read it to will still kick your butt. same with scrolls-you read the words, produce the effects, but can't recreate the sounds without a scroll

-i agree, but if this is the case, then negative spells on potions should affect the quaffer.

-no. use autosac, if you want it so bad

-no, it's just a big loophole, all the benefits of drunkenness, but instant recovery. and besides, just think what this would do to drunk quests

-i agree

-i completely agree, although a "help limbs" file correctly written would eliminate the need for this

-no, since see sneak isn't a spec, but race haters should show up in hinfo, since they currently don't even show as aggro (making it very difficult to know if cr should be given when requested)

-interesting idea, but i don't really see the benefit. if you're not paying attention to what's happening, even knowing what was said while you were away is a big advantage, knowing exactly when it was said just sounds greedy. the one exception may be hinfo, where knowing how long the character has been trying to retreive the corpse could be useful

-i don't know what IPv6 is, nor what difference that would make *shrug*
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

-no, since see sneak isn't a spec, but race haters should show up in hinfo, since they currently don't even show as aggro (making it very difficult to know if cr should be given when requested)
Except race_haters can be "beaten" unlike the aggressive behavior of a mob. What I mean by this is an alias that says:

Code: Select all

n;get all corpse;wear all; get all corpse;s;s;s;flee;flee;flee 
would work at least 50% of the time. Aggressive works much faster than that and isn't as easily beatable unless you can take the first round of hits. Therefore, it's not necessary for a CR.
- George Bernard Shaw
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Quote from Kiri:
I'm not sure of the point of this.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fetchfido/ ... _bunny.htm
Scare the s*** out of me?
Quote from Disaster:
-interesting idea, but i don't really see the benefit. if you're not paying attention to what's happening, even knowing what was said while you were away is a big advantage, knowing exactly when it was said just sounds greedy. the one exception may be hinfo, where knowing how long the character has been trying to retreive the corpse could be useful
I was thinking more like a question type of chat. When you just log on and type "chath" sometimes people ask questions in chat and are not being answered so I thought it could be useful. But then again you can either ask him if it was already answered or just answer it when you see it in chath but it was just a curiousity idea. :)
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld