June 18, 2003

This is where you can read the newsletters on the forum. Any replies are fair game to be put in the real thing.
kiri
Needs Help

June 18, 2003

Post by kiri »

News from the Realms:

Solomnius: Quest 'Humble Abode'
Your soul has been banished to the barren realms, your mortal
body removed from earth, here you will reside until your
un-doing. I alone have the only thing that could free you from
your fate. To earn your freedom you must find me a room here in
BR that i can call my own, i want you to deck it out comfortably,
with at least 3 pieces of furniture, and anything else that you
think would be pleasing to mine eye. I will consider your efforts
and reward your attempt with an appropriate gift.

I wish you Luck

Solomnius.

Details: email me the entire room decriptions containing the
furniture and items at concious_evolution@yahoo.com
before the 22nd of june. I await my humble abode. - Mortals only.

------------

Ghaleon: Drunken Quest
Sun Jun 15 17:24:36 2003
To: all
I held a drunken quest earlier, more like a "Entertain Ghaleon" quest...
Participants are: Faye, Marek, Shadowhawk, Budlite (from first to last)
Thanks to Coma for Sponsoring it! :D
>>Annie

---------------------

Disaster: quest reminder

just a reminder, there will be a roleplaying quest this coming wednesday, at 6:00pm system time
mortals only, no teleport/track/locate/summon, no "hack and slash"-it's a roleplaying quest, not a "kill everything as fast as you can" quest
if you CAN'T be there for the whole thing, be there for as much as you can

this is NOT a "hack and slash" type quest, so don't juts go around killing stuff
as per usual, teleport, summon, astral, track, locate are not allowed
if you can't be there for the entire quest, then by all means you are welcome to be there for as much as you can, but please understand that i won't be able to fill you in on everything you miss, you'll just have to do the best you can
for those of you who haven't roleplayed much, it's really very simple. the key here is "consistency". i don't care if you're a mutant 3 foot tall transexual psychopathic elf with a baboon heart, 78% of your body covered with tattoos and green hair
as long as you are consistant, that's what's important
if you CAN'T find a way to ask a question while roleplaying, and you feel you NEED an answer to the question, you'll be able to use the quest channel "ooc" or "out of character"-just be prepared for me not to answer if i feel you need to put more
work into trying ot get the answer via roleplaying
mortals only will be able to participate, and level will make little to no difference in your ability to complete the quest.
certain races and/or levelled characters may have certain advantages, as always, but i will do my best to make everything as fair and equitable as possible
IF (and this is a big if) you somehow end up dying alot due to this quest because you're low level, i'll take it into account
i'll be posting another note at 6:00pm system time, with quest details to get you started on the quest.
------------
Ghaleon: Grad Quest Reminder
Mon Jun 16 16:02:41 2003
To: all
Just a reminder that the quest ends in June 28.
So get with your partner and get dressed!
More details on:
http://www.barrenrealmsmud.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=285

You don't have to WEAR the eq (due to level difference) but I'd
much appreciate it if you put a description/explanation or something
attached to an email with your items.

ps: pleae put the description in the body of the email. cheers

--------
These characters need to log on or will lose their characters:

Anyone, Apan, Blairo, Chance, Charlotte, Corkscrew, Cracker, Darkmyst, Darth, Derek, Dreadnaught, Elfman, Fin, Flint, Gossard, Grunt, Hack, Haof, Ico, Infinity, Jinx, Khalim, Luminol, Marsipulami, Maze, Merc, Pez, Pippin, Randquadelis, Ravager, Redsand, Saki, Silentbob, Smashin, Solid, This, Thorin, Useless, Vegetaman, Wingnut, Yugi, Yunix
---------------

IDEAS:

TerMinal: if your grouped with an elf and he teleports somewhere you can go too

Cataclysm: there should be a "help drunk" file, explaining the hp/mana/moves regeneration benefits, as well as the hazards such as stumbling, and the methods of dealing with it including emote and chath

Suicide: a mob being crushed should have to escape the tentacle before being able to flee

Ghaleon: Default "prof" as "prof self"

Cinder: Since gold doesn't actually take up space in your inventory, you should be able to get gold out of packs/corpse/etc. even if your inventory is full.

Shadowhawk: how about an alert that a note has been posted if you are logged in when its posted.

Cinder: When it shows you the exits of the room, it should include doors, because a door is still an exit.

Ghaleon: Instead of saying "You are already fighting that person" if you type in "kill" twice, replace "person" with the sex of the mob. Not every mob is a person...

Ghaleon: A "help punishment" to tell people about violating rules (ie jailing, denial, etc)

Disaster: clericus and the newbie academy instructor shouldn't cast spells on heroes, so that newbies don't go without spells while we're helping them

Shadowhawk: a generic title for demons like we have for all the other races when they create.

Cataclysm: either help avian or slist avi should say what spots they lose at which levels

Disaster: commands, "bug list" "idea list" and "typo list" allowing us to see all such things we've sent since the last time they were gone through by the imms, and allow us to "typo clear (number)" to get rid of typos we make before you have to interpret the

----------------
RESPONSES BY POLGARA:

Hi Kiri :) Polgara here, I've a couple responses to
the ideas this time. heh. some interesting ones.

> Wizzywig: we should have a social for poop. it
> should be "Wizzywig poops. OOPS!"

Personally, if anyone did the social "Wizzywig poops
on Polgara." I'd think I'd have a problem with it.
Most socials have several ways of seeing it. 1st, 2nd
and 3rd person views.

> Ghaleon: Heroes should ALWAYS get their weapons back
> when they get disarmed

How about instead, that they always get their weapons
back (and alignment zapped dropped eq) when in mortal
realms only. No special considerations in Hero Realms.
While the item would melt anyways, no hero or avatar
in their right mind, would want some mortal to come
along and pick up their gear and get them in trouble.
Even though it is our responsiblity (I have a trigger
for when my weapons drop), battlespam has brought
about accidents before.

> Cord: modify one of the existing demon eyeballs to
> also grant the person the ability to scan thru the
> rain

As long as it's NOT another eyeball. Ugh. Toooo many
eyeballs!

> Ankou: the costs for mortal heal mana should be a
> bit less extreme. 1 tick=100 mana, but 10000gold=40
> mana...it seems a bit much

You're talking about the bodies natural ability to
restore it's own power vs the gods (aka priests like
Sancta and Clericus) gift to you. I'd sure set a high
price on it, besides, it would be ridiculously easier
for mortals to level (like it isn't already) to get to
51 if the price was lowered. Most people have alts
that have several million gold on them. The balance of
playability would tip to far.

> NyteShade: not to make firm grasp a spell but an
> ability like vision

Actually, this is a good idea, but two forms of it.
One for spellcasters and one for meleeists. One spell
the other ability. Spellcasters would be less likely
to be able to learn the hand and strength disipline
than say a warrior.

> RadicalEd: make it so you can change your afk back
> to nothing after setting it

Um...I'd rather be able to type myafk or somesuch
command and see what my afk is. Also have it show what
you set your afk to when you redo it. I once
accidently set my afk to a HIGHLY EMBARRASSING mistell
once, which could have been prevented by a simple
message saying "afk set to : Polgara is a silly bird
that doesn't pay attention to what she says and
embarasses herself when other people get her afk
messages"

------------
Kiri's WWW of URLs:

Um, this site scares me.. from Scavenger:
http://www.petoffice.co.jp/catprin/english/

HIGHLY offensive T-shirts

http://www.t-shirtsthatsuck.com/ns/index.html

Offensive, yet funny t-shirts that reflect net-life

http://www.ninjagear.net/

Scavenger thinks this is like our BR females... hmmm...

http://elfonlyinn.keenspace.com/d/20030421.html

-----------
Interesting Excuses

From the Sunday, April 14, 1994 edition of the Washington Post. (A contest was held in which readers were asked to come up with excuses to miss a day of work.)

If it is all the same to you I won't be coming in to work. The voices told me to clean all the guns today.

When I got up this morning I took two Ex-Lax in addition to my Prozac. I can't get off the john, but I feel good about it.

I set half the clocks in my house ahead an hour and the other half back an hour Saturday and I spent 18 hours in some kind of space-time continuum loop, reliving Sunday (right up until the explosion). I was able to exit the loop only by reversing the polarity of the power source exactly e*log(pi) clicks in the house while simultaneously rapping my dog on the snout with a rolled up Times. Accordingly, I will be in late, or early.

My stigmata's acting up.

I can't come in to work today because I'll be stalking my previous boss, who fired me for not showing up for work. OK?

I have a rare case of 48-hour projectile leprosy, but I know that we have a deadline to meet...

I am stuck in the blood pressure machine down at the Food Giant.

Yes, I seem to have contracted some kind of attention-deficit disorder and, hey, how about them Skins, huh? So, I won't be able to ... yes, could I help you? No, no, I'll be sticking with Sprint, but thank you for calling.

Constipation has made me a walking time bomb.

I just found out that I was switched at birth. Legally, I shouldn't come to work knowing my employee records may now contain false information.

The psychiatrist said it was an excellent session. He even gave me this jaw restraint so I won't bite things when I am startled.

The dog ate my car keys. We're going to hitchhike to the vet.

I prefer to remain an enigma.

My mother-in-law has come back as one of the Undead and we must track her to her coffin to drive a stake through her heart and give her eternal peace. One day should do it.

I can't come to work today because the EPA has determined that my house is completely surrounded by wetlands and I have to arrange for helicopter transportation.

I am converting my calendar from Julian to Gregorian.

I am extremely sensitive to a rise in the interest rates.

I refuse to travel to my job in the District until there is a commuter tax. I insist on paying my fair share.
disaster
Needs Help

Re: June 18, 2003

Post by disaster »

-how about a new elf only spell (one not given to heroes until avatar, since the elves coolest spell currently gets given to everyone) which would act as a directional bamf spell for those in the group (only in the group, since otherwise people would be getting bamfed about like crazy, unless we put in ANOTHER config option to stop it) the spell would need to cost more mane, say as much as summon or slightly more, but could be used to send a group member ahead of the elf, and then allow the elf to join them once the group had been tranfered to the destination (assuming mistp's didn't occur of course, the chance of a mis tp should be greater than just with teleport, since with an additional person there would be more things ot go wrong)

Cataclysm: there should be a "help drunk" file, explaining the hp/mana/moves regeneration benefits, as well as the hazards such as stumbling, and the methods of dealing with it including emote and chath

Suicide: a mob being crushed should have to escape the tentacle before being able to flee

no way!!! if the REST of us have to type in your annoyingly difficult to spell name, then so do you! ;P

Cinder: Since gold doesn't actually take up space in your inventory, you should be able to get gold out of packs/corpse/etc. even if your inventory is full.
-just be glad you can still walk. if you can only carrt 200 pounds and are currently carrying 600, you should be squished like a bug and wouldn't ave to worry about getting your gold any more.

Shadowhawk: how about an alert that a note has been posted if you are logged in when its posted.
-mostly useless, since if it's important the poster will chat "new note" and it it's not important you can just check them before you log off.

Cinder: When it shows you the exits of the room, it should include doors, because a door is still an exit.
-doors are often hidden. i would go for a "detect hidden door" spell though, as long as it had high mana cost and short duration.

Ghaleon: Instead of saying "You are already fighting that person" if you type in "kill" twice, replace "person" with the sex of the mob. Not every mob is a person...
-i agree. maybe put it in typo *shrug*. it seems to be more a typo thing than an idea, since mobs usually AREN'T people

Ghaleon: A "help punishment" to tell people about violating rules (ie jailing, denial, etc)
-good idea (it should also be included somewhere in the help listings, under help miscellaneous maybe, or help rules

Disaster: clericus and the newbie academy instructor shouldn't cast spells on heroes, so that newbies don't go without spells while we're helping them

Shadowhawk: a generic title for demons like we have for all the other races when they create.
-i don't like it, since the avatars already have their chosen title set. if they want a default-like title, they can just set it that way.

Cataclysm: either help avian or slist avi should say what spots they lose at which levels

Disaster: commands, "bug list" "idea list" and "typo list" allowing us to see all such things we've sent since the last time they were gone through by the imms, and allow us to "typo clear (number)" to get rid of typos we make before you have to interpret the
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

>>Or another spell that casts a "portal" for people to go to. And they can type "enter portal" or something. Just a mad idea from your friendly neighborhood car addict.

>>Agreed.

>>You can just have an alias "remort;title the wicked one" or something. :P

>>Nah, I think they are enjoying it when we bug a certain topic 3x per reboot.

no way!!! if the REST of us have to type in your annoyingly difficult to spell name, then so do you! ;P
>>Shut up, just shut up. I'm just waiting for you to make a decent name so I can call your house without thinking "Am I calling him or Death?" :P
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

*rofl* i'd list a few names i'm thinking of taking up next, but then somebody would take them before i got around to it. *smirk* guess you'll just have to ask for Dis, and hope i'm the one who answers the phone ;P
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

I'd just like to state that teleport doesn't need to be more powerful...

I'd suggest as an alternative a group prayer spell that takes everyone in the group to a rondom room (though together). Basically used as an escape spell, so would work mid combat...for those moments where you want to be anywhere but here, with Arkham beating your face in with a deathbringer.

To be able to group teleport would really lead to some bad things, mostly to do with frustrations on the part of the people that aren't in the group. If an elf can take the party from one mob to the next at a heartbeat, there's little the solo dwarf can to do compete with the group. Granted, he could ask to join, but for those who are mysanthropic by nature...

And if you really really need to get the group somewhere and don't want to walk, have the elf teleport, and the druid astral to him, and then summon the group. More complicated, but to ballance a group TP the mana cost would really have to sit at the same as a teleport but multiplied by the number of group members. At least that way the cost is diffused over a few people.

Ignore me, I'm babbling.
--Lairian
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

that's a good idea too lairian, i like the idea of a group prayer spell quite a bit. more than my idea for a new elf spell, actually :)
Cord

Post by Cord »

Yup, I think it could be pretty fun indeed.

Course, the chours of complaining that a low level group would produce after prayer-ing to some high level aggro might not be all that much fun to listen to, but hey - that's a risk they take, I suppose.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

so we give them a config option like nosummon. if they turn it off, it's their own risk. for that matter, i think there should be a random aspect involved for summon. a mis-summon, similar to a mis-tp, would randomly bamf both the caster and the target, or at the very least the caster.
Cord

Post by Cord »

*nods in agreement* I've always wondered why summon didn't have a misfire similar to teleport's... I'd be all for throwing one in there.