September 30, 2003

This is where you can read the newsletters on the forum. Any replies are fair game to be put in the real thing.
kiri
Needs Help

September 30, 2003

Post by kiri »

Welcome to the Barren Realms MUD Newsletter!

Visit BR at telnet://barren.coredcs.com:8000/

News from the realms:

Quests Running:

DevilsAngel: A spooky Halloween haunted house!!!

Thats right folks, Halloween is on the way! It will be October Very soon!!
On the first day of October the first ever BR Haunted halloween house will OPEN!!
If you would like to "tour" the house and win some nifty prizes...just send a tell to ME when you see me on.
All MORT levels can play! You may play with more than one character.
If that character dies though, quest over and you have lost. You must get through the haunted house alive to have a chance of winning!!!
Will you die? Chances are likely. Please show up for quest with NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING in your inventory.
Wear your eq only, be sober and without spells on you.
Do NOT forget these simple rules. When I call your level, be ready to go through. Send me a tell after you hear the announcement.
Obviously the haunted house can not be open at all times. It will be a ONE at a time quest.
Remember the littlest mortie to the largest mortie can play in this quest and have just as good a chance at Wonderful HUGE prizes!!
The haunted house will be open at various differant times throughout October.
Watch for announcements over quest and chat when it is open to which levels and get that character on and send a tell!
Special thanks to EB and Faustus for helping with ways to make this quest run more smoothly, and be more fun for you!!!

A couple of things to add....You can have Giant strength and fly on you, those are the only two spells though.
You may NOT have a bag as your held item. You may also Not use the t-games2 mort sword.
I think that is all I've changed/or forgotten.
The house will open on Wed!! For levels 3-9 to start off!!
Send me a tell when you see me on Wed after you hear the announcement. I will announce over both quest and chat!!
Thanks for reading!

Quest Results:

Disaster: tgames official quest number 2

well, kalonek found 129 items and krenv found 17 items. however,
one of the kaloneks cheated by locating hte item before he was
allowed to, earning a 150 point penalty for the kaloneks. kaloneks,
please have your votes to me by 6:00pm monday evening, i'll announce
who was voted off as soon as i can after that time. oh, and i'm not
telling you guys who the cheater was. i gave a few hints to people
online tonight, but that's it.

Disaster: had a little "find me" quest for tgamers

winners won the permission to advance an extra level (for them
ONLY, NOT for the whole team) here are the allowed levels for the
winners: robert 30, mourdrydd 26, indulgence 26, delidien 26

Disaster: tgames 2nd elimination

the votes are as follows: illiaden 5, hecete 5. however, the votes
for illiaden primarily came from people who were online for the
quest, and sine i said i'd count those for more, illiaden is voted
off as per the rules illiaden, you are no longer a tgamer, and may
not help tgamers in any way including giving them any eq. thanks for
playing

DevilsAngel: Small quest

I ran a small bamf quest today. There were 7 participants who all did Very well!!
The object of the quest was to get bamfed and then transed back, telling me what area you were in.
There were 3 rounds of stiff competition. We had 3 winners.
Pteppic amazed everyone with an overall score of 23, Ghaleon had a very nice 12, and Mansi coming in third with 10 overall.
Thank you to all 7 folks who joined in. You each have a small prize for playing! Just send me a tell and I will get your prize to you!
Thanks again to all who played, and a special thanks to DB who let me borrow his quest for the day!
---------------------------
IDEAS: Feel free to reply!

Batman: dwarves should be able to break through locked doors/containers/chests with their axes

Mathiu: eat pills even when full

Redeemer: raise the betting limit on Hangman to make it more interesting and exciting

Strydar: A race to oppose demons...angels or serraphims. Similiar to demons, cept good
aligned = better.

Exo: i know it would be VERY hard to code in, but i personally think you should get xp for
EVERY thing you kill, even if it is only like 1 xp... i think no matter what you kill, your gonna
learn from it, right?

Exo: i think lisette should buy EVERYTHING, not just weapons and armor, and if not that, then
make the grocer and the magician not stoppile the stuff you sell them

Yuber: make it so you can choose whether or not people see battle update when you die

Kiri -- you can. Just turn off chan -battle, and no one will see when you die.

Exhile: GIVE FRENZY TO ELVES EARLIER, illithids get it BEFORE elves OOG... wouldnt the in
guild race get it first

Crux: a cheers emote would be kinda nice to have, kinda like the beer emote but better

Kiri -- Standard answer: Ok, write it. See help writesocial and help socialex.

Delidien: Help killer, so if newbies see the flag on someone, they can understand why it's given, the etiquette surrounding it, etc

Luc: a fly showing that a player is sneaking

Home: a new limb for demons, works onlt for demons with wings, a claw. it picks a mob up and you fly up and drup it, the better the wings the higher you can fly and the more damaging the drop

Home: if your crushing someone it should act like trip and not let them flee, i mean come on you have them wraped in a tentacle and they just walk away?

Puppetmon: some sort of disarm for demons

Strydar: isnt there someway to make a higher int or wis do more spell damage? you think this would work...

Luc: customizable teleports, astral or summons. sort of like how bamfin and out works. this would be neat.

Characters who need to contact me:

Abyss, Albion, Alko, Althea, Ankross, Apollyon, Asling, Asterix, Baofu, Barthezz, Beak, Bliss, Celes, Chezz, Crash, Cyrus, Demitrius, Eldane, Feiid, Fenril, Florentyna, Fudge, Gau, Gebes, Gilgamesh, Hawkeye, Horvath, Inoz, Kahlm, Kaleb, Keskonrix, Korgan, Kusanagi, Lenny, Looket, Lunn, Mesa, Mid, Morgaine, Obelix, Otto, Panoramix, Raevyn, Reves, Ritz, Secretagent, Serendipity, Slade, Spiderman, Squeak, Swindle, Tania, Thurain, Timetracker, Tinviper, Tomo, Took, Tracker, Tynian, Vedmak, Whiskey, Zeon

----------------
Kiri's www of URLS:

From Mystique

"And we've been worried about programming jobs being outsourced merely to
other COUNTRIES!?!"
http://www.newtechusa.com/ppi/talent.asp

Also from Mystique

"Okay, this one makes very little sense, but it's kind of hypnotic :)"
http://www.clga.net/files/badger.swf
From Sgetsuo. I can't figure it out. Maybe you can.
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/pseuds.htm
Also from Sgetsuo. For complete idiots.
http://web14.compaq.com/falco/detail.asp?FAQnum=FAQ2859
-------------
Responses by Anakin:

AMystery: lets extend undead so that undead limbs are actually
undead and can spawn baby limbs
>>Do they stop on the baby limbs? Or do they spawn another baby limbs? I think undeads are already a headache to a couple of people, some don't even bother taking them. They think undeads are too powerful *shrugs*

AMystery: i think lowbies should almost all have sneak just
because they are small and they should lose it as they get bigger, say
around level 15 they outgrow it
>>Again, *shrugs*, I'm not really sure if every lowbie should get sneak... heroes are usually on to give them CRs if they need it, and Clericus can heal level < 11 before they get back to work getting their corpse...

Batman: when will the blackjack table be fixed??
Kiri -- Assume it is QUITE low priority on the to-do list. The code is a big ugly mess, and there are other things we'd prefer to fix. Unless Alicia gets bored.
>>Play blackjack with me... in Yahoo!.
Response by DB:
I think all races should get sneak except demons at some point, period. Then we don't have to give CRs anymore
Response by Disaster:
i don't think all races should have sneak. avians are already patheticly easy to level as morts with such powerful in-guild skills. illithids have mb, which pretty much eliminates the need for sneak for corpse retreivals.
------------------
Quotable Bloopers
Source information for these quotations are not (always) stated. These quotations are not listed here in an attempt to slander any individual or group.

1. "Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff." ---Mariah Carey

2. "Researchers have discovered that chocolate produces some of the same reactions in the brain as marijuana. The researchers also discovered other similarities between the two, but can't remember what they are." ---Matt Lauer on NBC's Today Show, August 22

3. "I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law." ---David Dinkins, New York City Mayor, (answering accusations that he failed to pay his taxes)

4. "Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life." ---Brooke Shields, during an interview to become spokesperson for a federal anti- smoking campaign.

5. "I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body." --Winston Bennett, Univ. of KY basketball forward

6. "We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees." ---Jason Kidd, upon his drafting to the Dallas Mavericks

7. "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese." ---Former French Président Charles De Gaulle

8. "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."---Former U.S. Vice-president Dan Quayle

9. "Without censorship, things can get terribly confused in the public mind." -General William Westmoreland

10. From Dan Quayle: "I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix."
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Batman: dwarves should be able to break through locked doors/containers/chests with their axes
>>More like improve bash. :D

Mathiu: eat pills even when full
>>I guess it'd make sense. Some pills even require you to eat before taking it...

Redeemer: raise the betting limit on Hangman to make it more interesting and exciting
>>Yeah! But I still bet 1, since I rarely play hangman. *shrugs*

Strydar: A race to oppose demons...angels or serraphims. Similiar to demons, cept good
aligned = better.
>>Check this out: http://www.barrenrealmsmud.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=460

Exo: i know it would be VERY hard to code in, but i personally think you should get xp for
EVERY thing you kill, even if it is only like 1 xp... i think no matter what you kill, your gonna
learn from it, right?
>>Are you saying that we must get xp when we do something silly (like flee, die, etc?) Cause... we also learn from our mistakes right? :P Bah! I disagree.

Exo: i think lisette should buy EVERYTHING, not just weapons and armor, and if not that, then
make the grocer and the magician not stoppile the stuff you sell them
>>Sure, but I think there are mobs across BR that now buys everything.

Yuber: make it so you can choose whether or not people see battle update when you die

Kiri -- you can. Just turn off chan -battle, and no one will see when you die.

Exhile: GIVE FRENZY TO ELVES EARLIER, illithids get it BEFORE elves OOG... wouldnt the in
guild race get it first
>>I thought the slist of the two are pretty funny. I don't know about the idea though. :lol:

Crux: a cheers emote would be kinda nice to have, kinda like the beer emote but better

Kiri -- Standard answer: Ok, write it. See help writesocial and help socialex.

Delidien: Help killer, so if newbies see the flag on someone, they can understand why it's given, the etiquette surrounding it, etc
>>And that the ones with the "Killer" flag should/would think that it is a punishment, not another design. :roll:

Luc: a fly showing that a player is sneaking
>>Huh? "affects" shows when a player is sneaking, if that's what you're asking.

Home: a new limb for demons, works onlt for demons with wings, a claw. it picks a mob up and you fly up and drup it, the better the wings the higher you can fly and the more damaging the drop
>>Demons are done, no more addition, please. They are too freaking powerful already.

Home: if your crushing someone it should act like trip and not let them flee, i mean come on you have them wraped in a tentacle and they just walk away?
>>See "help vine" there's already a demon limb/command for this.

Puppetmon: some sort of disarm for demons
>>I'll say it again, demons are too freaking powerful already. If someone should get disarm, it should be the martial artists.

Strydar: isnt there someway to make a higher int or wis do more spell damage? you think this would work...
>>It would, technically and I still agree with the additional affects that our stats could do. :)

Luc: customizable teleports, astral or summons. sort of like how bamfin and out works. this would be neat.
>>You can make an alias for it, right? It's just a hero reward for the bamfin/out when using goto. ^,^
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld