April 14, 2004

This is where you can read the newsletters on the forum. Any replies are fair game to be put in the real thing.
kiri
Needs Help

April 14, 2004

Post by kiri »

Welcome to the Barren Realms MUD newsletter!

-------------------
Ideas (please respond!)

Shadowhawk: be able to unlearn skills and spells.

Wednesday: Is there any way to sort Aod's maps? Maybe
alphabetically or by level?

Kiri -- you can! In Aod's room, type list 0 10 or whatever level range you want.

Rhyme: How about a Ladies Night at the tavern in Calathar? ;-) Maybe a few drink specials and gogo dancers...
And a DJ and a celebrity reality show with all the has-been heroes and imms... Okay, never mind.

Criterion: just like you can't eat a pill when you're full... you shouldn't be able to drink a potion when you've
had too much to drink.

Syrinx: Have repop messages actually correspond to a tick and the mobs repopping

Criterion: a Demon channel for demons to chat with one another. :-)

Criterion: the act of healing another player has a chance of affecting the aligment of the spell caster positively

Criterion: isn't it odd that a demon can be blessed?

Idyllic: Alignment should go up and down when you attack a mob, not when you kill it, because trying to kill
something good would be just as evil as killing it.

Criterion: since demons have so many arms... shouldn't we be able to carry a lot more items in our inventory before
having to put them into packs?
--------------------------------------------------

Kiri's WWW of URLS:

Oh no, its a liquid man!

http://www.neen.org/demo/clinger.swf

Trogdor the Burninator!

http://homestarrunner.com/trogdor.html

Protect your castle from invaders

http://www.xgenstudios.com/castle/index.htm

Nachos Gaming Forums

http://www.nachos.net/forums/index.php
-----------------------------------------------------

Responses to the newsletter:

Reply By Solomnius:

Quote:

Solomnius: interest for having money in the bank?

Kiri-- as I always say, only if we have bank robberies too

can't blame me for trying - aren't banks insured these days?
even if the bank is robbed my money would still be safe no? if so... sure, bring in the robbers
(i spose you could let smeagain be a robber if he wants)

By Disaster:

who's going to pay the premiums for the insurance?

By Solomnius:

ok ok, no insurance, no bank robbers, no insurance premiums......
no inflation - don't want to have to pay an extra 5 gold for a firebreather!
yeah i take my idea back - let's leave the mud's economy alone

----------------------------

UK Insurance Claims
And Americans think you have a monopoly on traffic problems and the twist and turns of insurance claim forms...

Here are some from the UK

Below are actual insurance claim form gaffs. They were originally sent out at Christmas 95 as an internal e-mail within the company concerned but they have escaped.

"I started to slow down but the traffic was more stationary than I thought."

"A car drove away at speed catching our client who went up in the air and his head went through the windscreen and then rolled off at the traffic lights a good few feet away. The car then sped off and miraculously our client remained conscious and managed to cross the road."

"I am responsible for the accident as I was miles away at the time."

"I pulled into a lay-by with smoke coming from under the bonnet. I realised the car was on fire so took my dog and smothered it with a blanket."

Q: Could either driver have done anything to avoid the accident?
A: Travelled by bus?

"I had one eye on a parked car, another on approaching lorries, and another on the woman behind".

"I started to turn and it was at this point I noticed a camel and an elephant tethered at the verge. This distraction caused me to lose concentration and hit a bollard."

"On the M6 I moved from the centre lane to the fast lane but the other car didn't give way."

"On approach to the traffic lights the car in front suddenly broke."

"Three men approached me from the minibus. I thought they were coming to apologise. Two of the men grabbed hold of me by my arms and the first slapped me several times across the face. I kneed the man in the groin but didn't connect properly so I kicked him in the shin."

A customer collided with a cow. The questions and answers on the claim form were:
Q - What warning was given by you?
A - Horn
Q - What warning was given by the other party?
A - Moo

"I was going at about 70 or 80 mph when my girlfriend on the pillion reached over and grabbed my testicles so I lost control."

"I didn't think the speed limit applied after midnight"
"I was on my way to see an unconscious patient who had convulsions and was blocked by a tanker."

"Mr. X is in hospital and says I can use his car and take his wife while he is there. What shall I do about it?"

"No witnesses would admit having seen the mishap until after it happened."

"I knew the dog was possessive about the car but I would not have asked her to drive it if I had thought there was any risk."

"While proceeding through 'Monkey Jungle', the vehicle was enveloped by small fat brown grinning monkeys. Number three fat brown monkey (with buck teeth) proceeded to swing in an anticlockwise direction on the radio aerial. Repeated requests to desist were ignored. Approximately 2 minutes and 43 seconds later, small fat brown monkey disappeared in 'Monkey Jungle' clutching radio aerial."

Q: Do you engage in motorcycling, hunting or any other pastimes of a hazardous nature?
A: Watch the Marty Caine Show and listen to Terry Wogan.

"First car stopped suddenly, second car hit first car and a haggis ran into the rear of second car."

"Windscreen broken. Cause unknown. Probably voodoo."

"The car in front hit the pedestrian but he got up so I hit him again."

"We had completed the turn and had just straightened the car when Miss X put her foot down hard and headed for the ladies' loo."

"I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in- law and headed over the embankment."

"The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intention."

"I was on my way to the doctor with rear end trouble when my universal joint gave way causing me to have an accident.

"To avoid hitting the bumper of the car in front I struck the pedestrian."

"My car was legally parked as it backed into the other vehicle."

"I was thrown from the car as it left the road. I was later found in a ditch by some stray cows."
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Shadowhawk: be able to unlearn skills and spells.

>> Why?

Criterion: just like you can't eat a pill when you're full... you shouldn't be able to drink a potion when you've
had too much to drink.

>> Or we can just do it the other way. Let's just eat the pill while full.

Criterion: a Demon channel for demons to chat with one another.

>> Again, why? I'm more into the whole "Avatar channel" so I can turn off chat and hero chan.

Criterion: the act of healing another player has a chance of affecting the aligment of the spell caster positively

>> Maybe just affect the alignment. Healing evil would make you good and vice versa.

Criterion: isn't it odd that a demon can be blessed?

>> Diablo gets blessed too, ya know. ;o

Criterion: since demons have so many arms... shouldn't we be able to carry a lot more items in our inventory before
having to put them into packs?

>> Maybe it can be another effect of 'normal human arm'.
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

as for demons carrying more, you already have a TON of extra space to deal with in inventory because you don't have to wear equipment. what more do you want? besides, how effective do you really think that a snake would be for carrying things, or a bony stump, or any of the other limbs? i like it as is.

oh, and although the common notion of a blessing is a good one, demonic rights and voodoo rituals could easily have the same effect for evil characters. if we change this i think that only good-aligned characters could cast bless on good aligned characters and only evil on evil. neutral i don't really have an opinion on, but it would probably make sense for neutral characters not to be able to cast bless at all, since they wouldn't be strongly enough attuned to any particular source of power.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

I was on my way to the doctor with rear end trouble when my universal joint gave way causing me to have an accident.
I read that and couldn't stop laughing. I still laugh hard everytime I read it. :D
Last edited by Comatose on Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solomnius

Post by Solomnius »

About the whole eating and drinking thing - no matter how full i am, i still have room to fit an m&m and sip of lemon squash (equivelent of pill and vial) - maybe that's why i'm putting on weight hmm..
Respect!
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

"A car drove away at speed catching our client who went up in the air and his head went through the windscreen and then rolled off at the traffic lights a good few feet away. The car then sped off and miraculously our client remained conscious and managed to cross the road."
This one made me laugh and laugh. :lol:

Oh my gosh, these are so funny. After reading some of them I just go...huh?
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.