February 2, 2003

This is where you can read the newsletters on the forum. Any replies are fair game to be put in the real thing.
kiri
Needs Help

February 2, 2003

Post by kiri »

News from the Realms:

Fixed Area bugs
Kiri:
* Thanks to Alienx, the parts of Thieves Forest that should be indoors (Houses, Caves) are indoors.
* Thanks to Dalton, the unopenable case in Snakemen is openable.
* Thanks to an unspecified immortal, name witheld to protect the honest, 2 wearable weapons in whitelotus are now normal weapons.
* Thanks to Cobalt, the cocoon in Pirate Isles is now openable.
* The boatseller in ultima now sells his boat, and that area actually is fixed to go all the way through now.
* Thanks to Ankou, the Devilish Talisman in Astral Plane is a normal necklace (it used to be an unusable staff.) It still sucks as an item though.
* Thanks to Inferno, the RHPS Urinal is openable. I wouldn't recommend it, though.
* Thanks to Budgreen, you can open a door in Guard Commander Central in Calathar that was unopenable.
* Thanks to Sting, no more rain in the chit-chat room.
* Thanks to Xorex, there's a very major plot extra added to Lershar that had originally been omitted.

There was an error in the numbering of White Lotus, as well. When I took care of that, it seems
to have renumbered and removed from your inventory certain white lotus items. You might
want to re-get them if you still want them, they are no longer wearable weapons now though.
Sorry for the inconvenience, it was not intentional.

PLAYERS WHO NEED TO LOG IN:

Arc, Athlahir, Bipu, Bod, Brazen, Crowe, Cyanide, Cybol, Geech, Gilgaden, Gungnir, Hackeysack, Harkonnen, Haudruff, Jak, Jerry, Kyrie, Moyat, Orangepeel, Querulant, Runestaff, Shonuff, Splork, Stangg, Starlight, Sufi, Techno, Torque, Tranquilo, Wargod, Weed, Wutho.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDEAS:

Teach: I think it'd be convenient that when going from recall to the trainers, for the stairs to be 2-way.

Stars: It would be cute to have starting ages differ according to race. Humans might start at age 17, but what about elves? They would be quite young at 17 to go out adventuring.

Teach: if there's a light source on a corpse, the corpse should at least be visible to the owner to loot

Goddimus: I think there should be the ability to flee in a particular direction using the command "flee dir" i.e. "flee w"

Gilvain: A spell that is like "nightmare" which can be combined with sleep and can be damaging

Polgara: make the peck skill on/off

Anakin: People who are afk don't deserve additional ages. They don't even budge when I poke them!

Suicide: new human skill, like medicine but creates random healing/curing potion (or possibly poison)

Claxem: Where <mob> should work on hidden/invis mobs, if you have detect hidden and/or detect invis casted on you.

Duvin: be able to do something with those extra practices once so many are accumulated.

Demonizer: to make it easier to keep up with multiple mobs we are fighting. at the end of each round when it says Someone is in awful condition. list all of the mobs and their conditions, not just when their turn ends

Stars: Let's give alcohol its own command to drink, like "imbibe" or something. Alcohol should make someone thirsty, and not prevent water and other beverages to be consumed.

Anakin: If you have -battle channel, your deaths shouldn't be announced. Helps when an avatar is killing a level 1000+ mob

Anakin: If a wizinvis talks in a chat, it should say something like AMystery heroes '(wizinvis) blablabla' so people that can see them will know whether to say their name or not. Some people don't check their who list to see who's wizinvis and who's not all

Teach: flaming should help with the heal spell

Amarilla: have the healers use Immortal names that currently are on the mudd

Stars: Put the commands listed in "commands" in alphabetical order.

Polgara: make Valence grocer and magician able to buy more like Lisette does

Shadowhawk: What about a more powerful locate object spell. I mean one that gives the area name the item is located in? Just an idea.

Lairian: The tunnels in the underground lag prizon should probably be tagged indoors...

Sketchy: I think the personalized afk message should be displayed on your prompt so you know what it says

Duvin: more level 50 mobs, it only takes 2 people trying to level to make it suck, TOO much waiting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIO:

NAME ON BR: hondaone, damious,demonone,etc

BR RACE/LEVEL:ken ava3

YOUR REAL AGE:27

YOUR REAL LOCATION (State/province & Country):iowa, usa

YOUR OCCUPATION: industrial engineer

YOUR GOALS FOR THE FUTURE:nurture my family and get rich

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING TO DO BY POSTING HERE? PUT AN X NEXT TO ONE OR ALL: NETWORKING x FRIENDSHIP x FIND LOVE

WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A MAN/WOMAN?

WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A FRIEND? outgoing, smart, friendly

WHAT KIND OF JOB ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?

IF YOU GO TO COLLEGE, WHICH ONE?

HOW TO CONTACT YOU - ON BR VIA NOTE OR EMAIL? br

IF EMAIL, PUT IT HERE:artgsxr1000@msn.com

Kiri's WWW of URLs:

Confused when fellow realmers are talking about money in their countries? here ya go!

http://www.xe.com/ucc/full.shtml

Viking Kitties!

http://www.rathergood.com/vikings/

Microsith

http://www.microsith.com/

Totl.net parodies

http://totl.net/

Responses by Everybody:

Dawne: how about with a higher percentage in roundhouse, you become able to get up more quickly after falling?

Not a bad idea... the main drawback of roundhouse really is that possibility of tripping yourself. I think I'd rather see it be a function of your dex how quickly you get back up, though.

Anakin: how about a muzzle that has track for demons?

They get the bloodhound's snout, which is the next best thing... yeah, I suppose it takes a bit more typing, but it'll let you find the mob. Plus you can learn track at 51, anyways (or should be able to, at least).

Its: a light on the ground should light up a dark room just the same as a light that someone in the room is holding

Perhaps. I can see that you wouldn't light something like... a lantern and leave it sitting around on the ground. On the other hand, I can see people doing that... and balls of light are theoretically "always on". I wouldn't mind seeing this in.

Anakin: A "deposit all" command that deposits all the gold you got at that moment.

I would be for it.

Electron: instead of the "you cant let go of it" message, you should replace it with the item name

Agreed.

Radicaled: as a demon allow yourself to know what level each of your limbs are, as to not replace the wrong level

I would definitely like a way to see this. I assume that most of the time when you're replacing, it's not going to matter overly much which limb you replace. Except, obviously, that a switch will be more desirable when replacing an older limb.

Radicaled: make it so when traveling/trackgin u don't get spammed and disconnected

You don't. It's just a matter of which commands you're using. The spam protection on BR doesn't kick in if you're using only 1-letter commands (i.e. the short versions of the directions, inventory, look, etc.) So, if you travel by using shorthand directions, you should never be kicked off for it. Auto-track triggers are usually problematic in this in that they respond with the full length word. Just do something while you're traveling in certain directions and you'll be fine.

Amarilla: a command called glance, where instead of LOOK showing all the characters eq you could "glance" at them and just see their condition to know if you need to heal them

I could see this being useful for following healers that aren't grouping with the other char. And it shouldn't be too hard to put in, really.

Isis: be able to buy things that are up to... say... 5 levels above you instead of 2, so you can keep them for later

I wouldn't actually mind being able to buy any level object, except (obviously) that it would allow some things that are only sold by shopkeepers to become perhaps too easily available. After all, you can't really use most of those objects until you're the right level anyways. Maybe just have the code check the player's level when buying potions/wands/staves/scrolls/pills.

Anakin: more games (i.e. C4). I mean more kinds of games.

I'm very much for this.

Radicaled: make it so when you die you go somewhere besides recall.... people complain about battles

I don't see what much of the point would be... people would start simply congregating around the new place where you reappear after death. If they're having a problem with spam at recall, move to a different room.

Disaster: how about making all the shops in town a different terrain from the rest of the city, say inside vs. city, then making aod a stay-terrain, to stop him from getting in the way in shops. not a big deal, i know, but it would be nice for the newbies

The only real problem one is the pet/merc shop, last I knew (as the buy <item> <shopkeeper> format doesn't work in there). Since we do have that format, it's not a huge problem to simply tell newbies about it when they're having problems with aod.

Liubei: a shopkeeper that can change the personalization flag to you for 100k

No. The personalize code is there for a reason: so that you can't use the item unless you get it yourself. This would defeat the whole purpose of it.

Amarilla: have the pills tell you what spells are on them when you identify them

Nah. They've never shown that, and I don't think they should. It's part of the fun of randomly trying pills to see what spells it hits you with.

Anakin: We can get a body part by typing the name like "get Anakin backpack" will get a body part of me on a backpack.

I don't think that would be too hard to work out, and considering the size of my heart collection, I'd be appreciative of it, too.

Araby: "where mob" showing who's the nearest mob

This seems like it would make leveling too easy, either way I look at it. Either by a special case of where (typing "where mob" to find the nearest mob as a whole), or by using "where <mob>" to find the nearest mob of a specific name. It defeats the purpose of having to search to find things to kill, in part.

Equinox: A meditation skill for druids that's kind of sleeping/resting that regains mana faster

This is what alcohol's for.

Moldfinger: we should change the point social to point in a direction. point north means you point north...

But then it wouldn't fit with the structure of all the current socials.... it seems like a lot of work for not much gain.

Grond: Fireproof spell. 'Nuff said.

I don't understand what you're trying to say - a spell that makes bags unburnable? one that prevents "fire" spells from damaging you? what?

Sej: in a fight both sides lose mv with each blow so that way you can wear down the opponant or vice versa. cause sometimes ya get tired in a fight

I wouldn't mind having movement be affected by battle.

Utena: A skill "visify" to visify items

How long would making these items visible last? Permanently seems far too long. Doesn't seem particularly useful, except perhaps to those who expect to die shortly and frequently forget see-invis when grabbing stuff from their corpse.

Puppetmon: A option on the "aff" screen that shows how long or how many ticks your drunk for

We have different levels of drunkenness, actually: hunger/thirst shows, drunk, very drunk. I think this would make becoming undrunk much less interesting, personally.

Geko: i think it would be neat to be able to put color in you title, you could personalize more

We've talked some about doing this... specifically as a neat sort of quest reward. There are some logistical problems with it, as well as the eye-blinding effect we now get from gratz - a frequent reason why people have that channel off.

Goku: it would be cool to see death messages... IE. you use kick to kill a mob, you see "You kick <mob>'s head right off its body.", or a spell like Acid shows "You melt <mob> into a sticky pile of mush." it would add a bit of texture i guess, to get a ni

If it wouldn't be too hard to put in, I'm all for it.

Sej: mobs randomly fighting other mobs to make it more life like?

This is one of the problems with mobprog code, actually. Making mobs fight each other outside of specific times (when a pc's there, namely) would take up a lot of processing time for something that wouldn't be seen much, as well as making mob-hunting stranger.

RadicalEd: add a help drunk for those low morts that get drunk and can't eat or drink anything

I'm surprised we don't have one already, actually.

Sej: be able to eat mob corpses like body parts when you are hungry

I could see this happening, except that the code considers body parts and corpses quite differently. Plus, you wouldn't really want to be walking around with a lot of corpses, since they're very heavy.

Divebomb: a reverse version of the room_damage speco that heals instead of hurts

Divebomb: a regeneration speco that does the opposite of the drain_hp speco but without any echos (to eliminate spam)

I'm for both of these.

Shiloh: tellh should unscramble drunk like chath

Chath unscrambling drunk is technically a bug, but people would've been too annoyed if we fixed it, so we left it in. Alcohol is supposed to have negative side effects.

Paladinkain: things that steal from you should not be allowed to have a good alighnment

What about kender? They're good and steal all the time.

Araby: I read that elves can see far away and can hear better than anyone, shouldn't they have a skill called hunt that's like birdseye/track?

Elves here are magicians... they've ruined their eyesight by poring over magic texts for too long.

Araby: Dwarves are more of a miners shouldn't they get like a skill called "mine" that they can do some minings on mountains and get some treasures, or probably gold?

I wouldn't mind seeing more ideas for new dwarf skills... they're underrepresented, imo. This seems like a decent one (can only mine on terrain marked "mountain").

Sej: when someone assists on an attack you attack has a x% chance to actually hit the other person also

I think most people would be good enough with their weapons to not hit their comrades.

Elrond: for the vehicle your in should recall with you

Would it recall along with _anyone_ who's inside it? I think this could be too easily abused, although I like the idea for getting vehicles out of stuck spots.

Xornot: it seems silly that black is the only ascii color that has a longhand version (black) but no short code, because you can only use shorthand in prompts and "black" shows up as a nice grey. Anyway, I just found this mud today and i love it! I plan on

Black shows up very ugly on my screen (black against a black background becomes invisible). However, I agree that we probably should have an inline color code for it.

Sej: be able to use things by feel when blind so the cure blindness potion in my inventory is usefull

But how would you know which potion was the cure blindness one?

Liubei: heroes should automatically always have autosac on so they cant turn it off

Nah... this would prevent people from ever doing corpse runs again, as one instance of a negative side. Of course, you're always supposed to have it on, but that particular rule gets relaxed when you're fighting in herodom.

Cord: how about making it not-possible to summon a fighting mob?

Agreed.

Araby: Put a command like "put all.coins <container>" so it doesn't have to type in all those numbers

We have this. "put all coins <container>"

Paladinkain: mobs should not be allowed to start off combat by disarming as the VERY first thing they do as players are not allowed to do this for the most part they have to wait one round, so should mobs

Mob combat works very differently than pc combat. To fix what you mentioned would require a revamp of our entire combat system, probably. I'd like to see mobs lagged more after they do certain things (or have them done to them... like disarm), but I'm not sure how possible it really is.

AMystery: i don't think imms should be effected by align on eq

I'd like to see that, actually.

-EB

Driving School
The following are a sampling of REAL answers received on exams given by the California Department of Transportation's driving school.
Q. Do you yield when a blind pedestrian is crossing the road?
A. What for? He can't see my license plate.

Q. Who has the right of way when four cars approach a four-way stop at the same time?
A. The pick up truck with the gun rack and the bumper sticker saying "Guns don't kill people. I do."

Q. When driving through fog, what should you use?
A. Your car.

Q. How can you reduce the possibility of having an accident?
A. Be too shit faced to find your keys.

Q. What problems would you face if you were arrested for drunk driving?
A. I'd probably lose my buzz a lot faster.

Q. What changes would occur in your lifestyle if you could no longer drive lawfully?
A. I would be forced to drive unlawfully.

Q. What are some points to remember when passing or being passed?
A. Make eye contact and wave "hello" if he/she is cute.

Q. What is the difference between a flashing red traffic light and a flashing yellow traffic light?
A. The color.

Q. How do you deal with heavy traffic?
A. Heavy psychedelics