Dun Candrae hints?

This room is filled with chairs, benches, and sofas for people to just sit around and talk about life, past adventures, or just otherwise kill time.
xorex

Dun Candrae hints?

Post by xorex »

Could someone give me a hint on the puzzle (puzzles?) in Dun Candrae? The announcement from 2004 says there is one at least. I think I figured out one thing by using my imm tricks to examine the rooms closely and find something hidden, but even stepping through every immediately accessible room and reading all the descriptions I didn't notice any clues that should have directed me to this hidden part, so I was wondering what I had missed.
--Xorex
Aseany

Re: Dun Candrae hints?

Post by Aseany »

The secret to Dun Candrae is that the rooms are layered. I don't know the technical terms, but leaving "breadcrumbs" i.e. a piece of gold on the floor as you go can give you hints to where different paths are layered. I only remember there being a hidden healer in a room that can be found by retracing your steps and finding the hidden path.
xorex

Post by xorex »

Thanks! Yes, I have figured out the layering and found where it leads. In the announcement from 2004 from Brodgar it says:
The area is just south of Malacandra and is for levels 1 through 10. It's a relatively small area,
but introduces a brand new type of puzzle and also if you read carefully, the secret to a piece of low level
flaming equipment.
Is the puzzle really just the layering though? I was expecting there to be some hint in the descriptions somewhere about the layering. Expecting a normal player to pick up on it just by standard is exploring is asking a lot. The room descriptions are identical and if you stray off the layered path you fall back to base layer. So you need to step onto the starting point of the layered path, then step onto the next step and happen to notice that an item or mob is not there any more and that that indicates a different layer.

I just figured it out by locating objects and mobs and noticing some were duplicated, plus using imm tricks to look at room ID numbers and see that they did not match for the layered rooms.

I was expecting at least a hint somewhere of a mob that an avian could track or even better a note saying to "follow the green path" or something and then you notice that hidden in each room description is a mention of green in the description of the direction of one of the exits. At least, if I were making the area, I would have done something like that :P. And for what it's worth I did want to make an area with a layered puzzle like that but my time for area making ran out before that. I had been thinking along those lines after making Lershar which has a form of layering but not as a puzzle.

(Also, I didn't figure out the flaming equipment part, but I didn't do an exhaustive search for it; I did look/peek at every mob and check every room for hidden containers though).
--Xorex
Aseany

Post by Aseany »

Sorry I don't remember any more hints. I explored a little bit today and found the healer but I didn't find the flaming equipment.