If you were born before 1985...

This room is filled with chairs, benches, and sofas for people to just sit around and talk about life, past adventures, or just otherwise kill time.

When were you born?

Before 1985
85%
After 1985
8%
1985. All your base are belong to us.
8%

Total votes: 40
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

You are young ;)
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
AMystery

lazy

Post by AMystery »

Well, that's when I remember watching it. I suppose I might get motivated enough to do the math and/or check records to determine what grade I was in, but I remember that class room and the event. Still, I would have been 9 in that year, so if we start school at 5, that puts me in at least 4th grade. Plus or minus 1 for birthdays and dates. You would have been 8, which is a bit old for first grade.
Slart

Post by Slart »

I was born in 1975. On January 28, 1986 I was not quite eleven years old and in the fifth grade. My class watched the launch live on a TV in the elementary school library.
Java

Post by Java »

I did my math

Grade/Beg School Year/End School Year
12 96 -97
11 95 -96
10 94 -95
9 93 -94
8 92 -93
7 91 -92
6 90 -91
5 89 -90
4 88 -89
3 87 -88
2 86 -87
1 85 -86
k 84 -85

Which puts me in First Grade in January
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

You all depress me.
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
AMystery

don't worry

Post by AMystery »

One of these days you too will be old and fogerty. Just remember the important events of your time, such as when Hansen broke up, or when Britney got married in Vegas. Besides, we like you even if you can't remember the berlin wall or tiennamen square.

Now, go take a nap, you are getting cranky. I'll have your bottle ready.

Hmm, i wonder. If you didn't know people as well as you do. How old would you guess they are? For example: Stars. So full of righteous indignance, has to be young. 16. AMystery: so calm and knowledgeable, must be ancient. 42
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

::ROFL::

Amy even not knowing how old you are I wouldn't guess anywhere close to 42 *pet*

My earliest memory of a world/country event happening was when Desert Storm ended. I can't remember what year that was.
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

AMystery wrote:Hmm, i wonder. If you didn't know people as well as you do. How old would you guess they are? For example: Stars. So full of righteous indignance, has to be young. 16. AMystery: so calm and knowledgeable, must be ancient. 42
You're a snot, you know that? :P

I'm not righteously indignant; I'm indegently righteous. Oops, I meant indecently...err...indefectibly, indefeasibly, indescribably, indemonstrably...ah, nevermind.

AMystery could be 42, you know. With that menagerie AMy is always talking about, it reminds me of one of those old cat ladies you hear about in the news. You know, the ones that die and the cats start to eat the corpse?
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Score
Mud Addict

Post by Score »

Bluestar wrote: My earliest memory of a world/country event happening was when Desert Storm ended. I can't remember what year that was.
If I did the math right...and I prolly didn't, your earliest memory of a world event took place when you were seven--in 91, right?

You were born in 84.

In 88 Bush Senior was elected.

In 89 there was Exxon Valdez, Huricane Hugo, what happend in Panama AND BATMAN!!! (BAAATMAAN PEOPLE!!!!!)

I can MAYBE understand not being too familier with Band Aid--BUT BAATMAAAAAAN???

You mean to tell me Desert Storm sticks out more in your mind than when Edward Scisscorhands opens??

*okay that was kinda reaching...BUT BATMAN!! W.T.H IS WRONG WITH YOU CHILD!!??* You did you live on a Mars? In a cave? With your fingers in your ears at that time?

BATMAN IS ALL THINGS KICK ASS AND SUPERHERO.
"We've come for your daughter Chuck..."
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

I wasn't allowed to watch television as a child. Well, I was but only Sesame Street and British Comedy's. The only reason the end of the war sticks out in my mind is because I was driving in my hometown with my mom and I remember seeing a bunch of school busses going by with banners hanging out the side proclaiming "THE WAR IS OVER THE WAR IS OVER" all the while they were honking and cheering as they drove down the street.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
AMystery

Post by AMystery »

seasame street and british comedies. yes, that explains much. I can just see little bluestar sitting in front of the tv, her eyes shining in the light of "to the manor born". Remind me to be nicer to you in the future.
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

never saw that one. I saw Keeping Up Apperances, Are You Being Served, Waiting For God etc...

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
AMystery

all excellent

Post by AMystery »

Those are all excellent comedies, but they should not be shown to children. Besides the hilarious adult comedy in them, the kids will also grow up saying things like "bloody" and "yank" and they will have bad teeth and funny accents. Instead, all kids should be raised on a steady diet of Monty Python. That is nice healthy british humor.
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

I watched a lot of Benny Hill on PBS when I was a child. I grew up to play the saxophone and be obsessed by boobies. Coincidence?
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
AMystery

qualifications

Post by AMystery »

That means you are qualified to be president! I'd vote for you. Not for any good reason, but mainly for entertainment value, although I imagine a few of your policies would be very progressive...

Also, i checked, I was in second grade in 1986. I have a very strong memory of watching the launch in my fifth grade classroom, but I assume that is two memories combined or something.

:arrow: :idea: :shock: does that look dirty to anyone else?