If you were born before 1985...

This room is filled with chairs, benches, and sofas for people to just sit around and talk about life, past adventures, or just otherwise kill time.

When were you born?

Before 1985
85%
After 1985
8%
1985. All your base are belong to us.
8%

Total votes: 40
Anakin
Mud Addict

If you were born before 1985...

Post by Anakin »

You people are OLD! OLD OLD OLD!
So to better understand how the class of 2007 thinks, most of whom were born in 1985, read this and feel your age:

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1985.

They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.

They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.

There has been only one pope in their lifetime.

They were 10 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up on takeoff.

Tiananmen Square means nothing to them.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.

The statement "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. (They have never owned a record player.)

They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.

They may have never heard of an 8-track tape. The compact disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.

They have always had an answering machine.

Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV.

They have always had cable.

There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what Beta was.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is or know about the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!" commercial.

They were born the year that Walkman was introduced by Sony.

Roller skating has always meant inline for them.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

Jay Leno has always been on "The Tonight Show."

They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They have never seen Larry Bird play.

They never took a swim and thought about "Jaws."

The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as World War I, World War II, and the Civil War.

They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from. (The correct answer, by the way, is Ork.)

They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel," or "De plane, de plane!"

They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was.

Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not bands.

There has always been MTV.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.
Source: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/atplay/ ... bornbefore
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Dakata

Post by Dakata »

They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
Neither do I...
Score
Mud Addict

Post by Score »

I recall an email similar to this one lil bro..
Hmmmm..
"We've come for your daughter Chuck..."
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

Reading through this was...well enlightening to say the least. And yes....I am OLD OLD OLD, and feel even older thanks to this. :shock:
And can anyone remember the first video aired on MTV when it made its debut? I can!!!
Jordache was never as cool as Guess jeans or Vanderbelts :twisted:
I'm glad to see that converse have made a come back and well docs never really went out of style.
I used to watch Fantasy Island every saturday night when I was in Jr High. *the de plance de plane referance* I recently watched a rerun of it on some cable channel (well part of one, I couldn't sit through it all) and was like....wow what ever did I see in that show.
The space shuttle blowing up was such a horrific event. It was the first time a teacher had gone up with a crew so almost all schools were watching the take off in their classes. I was a freshman in high school and we were watching it live during history class......It was so sad. No one even considered it could happen.
*bounces around* Dev
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Video killed the radio star, you know...
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Sozz

Post by Sozz »

I was born only a couple years previous to '85, and alot of the stuff in that list doesn't apply to me. Does two years really make THAT much difference? Or are 'kids' today that unaware of their surroundings?

I remember Beta, the Gulf War, and Atari. And I sat through old ladies yelling to themselves that they've fallen and can't get up.

I never watched Mork and Mindy, J.R. is just some dead American politician to me, and I've no idea who or what Larry Bird is.

So what's old? And WHO SHOT JR?!?

And, btw, I have LESS than 13 channels, thank you very much. Hurray for peasantvision!
Sozz
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

woohoo *claps for Stars*

*coughs* guess your old to.... :twisted:
*bounces around* Dev
Anavrinman

Post by Anavrinman »

The Challanger blew up 5 minutes after my little sister was born...seriously. My mom watched it on TV as she held my sister for the first time...talk about mixed emotions.
An omen? So far I haven't seen anything contradictory to this, my sister is quite evil (report cards also consistantly came out on her birthday, which is also a bad thing for me).

My family was poor, so all of that stuff (beta, records, 8-tracks, 13 channel TVs, no cable) was quite familiar to me because we couldn't afford to upgrade till about '93 or '94.

I remember Desert Storm, and watching America invade Iraq for the first time. My little brother was the same age when we invaded for the second time (Operation Iraqi Freedom [stupid name, they should name it Operation Sandblast, or Operation Kick Your @#* You Stupid Saddam Worshipping, #@$& Eating, Mother *@#(&$% ]). Pretty ironic, huh?

BTW, As far as I know, everyone knows that Video killed the Radio Star. *Scratches Head* Maybe I'm older than I think...
Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease...
Hobo Nick
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

I was only born a year before that and I know or remember about 98% of it....except Mork? Who the heck is Mork? And I don't actually remember the space shuttle blowing up.....Pac Man kicks butt and always will ;) First video game I ever played was Pac Man at a pizza place...anyway...I remember the Camel cigg. ads, I've always only had 7 channels or less ;) Even people younger than me know who Kansas is ;) Wasn't J.R. shot by his sister-in-law or something and I didn't start popping popcorn in the microwave until 5 years ago, before that it was made on the gas stove in a large sauce pan with some olive oil. Had a black and white tv when I was five..... *reads up and realises she's rambling*

Anyway,
I feel old now after reading all that ;)
Bluei
Java

Post by Java »

I was in first grade when the Challenger blew up. I remember that Mrs Brady (we were "the brady bunch") led us in a moment of silence.
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

I remember that I was in ninth grade when the Challenger exploded just after take off. I was sitting in Home Economics class. The teacher brought in a tv and we watched that the rest of the class.
Erin

Post by Erin »

God I feel so old, I was 11 back in 85. I remember rara skirts, bros,nkotb, the hight of fashion in England as far as I can remember at that time was dayglo (wrong spelling I know) odd socks, one orange and one green (those were some seriously weird days). Yes england sat and watch the rocket go up in class, I remember the pure looks of shock on our teacher's face as it blew up.

Records were a must, how else could have the lastest songs?. It was also a huge year of changes in my own life. I moved up to the comprehensive I guess you call it something else but it covered 11-16. Shock and horrow the school finally found out I couldn't even write my own name.

So yes kids these days are unaware of major things that happened a long time ago, but I have to say the advantages they now have outweight the amazing loss of knowing who shot JR. JR Ewing was a char in the soap opera Dallas and let me think who shot him, opps for got i dont really care LOL

Erin
"Stupidity has a certain charm. Ignorance does not" ----Frank Zappa
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

I said "Sorry Charlie" over hero chat and Kitsune and Bluestar had no idea what I was talking about....

I felt so ancient...
Score
Mud Addict

Post by Score »

OHHHMYYYYGAWD?? that is NO reflection of how old you are..it's THEM!!! THEM I SAY!!!!
"We've come for your daughter Chuck..."
Erin

Post by Erin »

Oh god I remember Charlie, now i feel old too.
"Stupidity has a certain charm. Ignorance does not" ----Frank Zappa