What do you wake up to?

This room is filled with chairs, benches, and sofas for people to just sit around and talk about life, past adventures, or just otherwise kill time.

What drink do you perfer drink to wake up?

Coffee
17%
Tea
3%
Pop (soda)
17%
Cider
3%
Milk
No votes
Energy Drinks
10%
Juice
10%
Hot Chocolate
No votes
What ever
10%
None
28%

Total votes: 29
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

a slang Canadian political term is to refer to the Liberal party as "Grits". I have no idea why. we also refer to the Conservative party as "Tories". I don't know why we do that either, but that's not as funny as grits.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

Okay then...but then again why are a donkey and elephant our two main political mascots? We live in weird countries :P
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

What does GOP stand for and how did it start?
Why are Republicans represented as elephants and Democrats as
donkeys? --Jerry J.

SDSTAFF Ian replies:

The Republican Party started in the 1850's, formed from a split in the Democratic party, whose members, primarily abolitionists, felt the Democrats were no longer representing their interests. They decided to call themselves Republicans because they felt their ideals were very similar to Jefferson's Democratic-Republican party. After the Civil War, the upstart Republicans were perceived as the party that won the war. Now firmly
entrenched in the federal government, they were ironically dubbed the "Gallant Old Party," which soon became the "Grand Old Party," which was soon shortened to the familiar acronym "GOP."

In 1874, it was rumored that U. S. Grant would run for an unprecedented third term. As the rumors were surfacing, there was also a contemporary urban legend that several animals had escaped from the New York Zoo. Thomas Nast, the most popular and influential cartoonist of the time, took the opportunity to combine the two in a cartoon for The New Yorker magazine, representing the Republicans as elephants, docile but
unmoveable when calm, unstoppable and destructive when excited. The cartoon, entitled "The Third Term Panic," depicted the Republican vote as an elephant running inexorably into a tar pit of inflation and chaos. Interestingly, the elephant was running away from the already established Democratic donkey, dressed in a lion's skin. This was Nast's take on the Democrats' view of Grant as Caesar, and their feeling that they had an obligation to play Brutus before
he let the power of his office corrupt him.

The donkey predated Nast by three decades, when it was used during Andrew Jackson's campaign, initially by his opponents, calling him a 'jackass' for his populist policies. Well known as stubborn, however, Jackson decided to co-opt the mascot, and used it to his own advantage. After Jackson retired, he was still looked at as a party leader, even though the party refused to be led, and the 1837 cartoon "A Modern Baalim and his Ass" showed him leading
a donkey which refused to follow. However, the donkey image was not popularized until the ubiquitous Nast adopted it, first depicting the party as a kicking donkey, attacking Lincoln's secretary of war Edwin Stanton even after his death in an 1870 cartoon for Harper's Weekly.

In other words, both animals were chosen for their negative qualities, such as stubbornness and willy-nilly destruction, and then adopted by the parties for their positive attributes, and neither party has been stubborn or destructive ever since.

From http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mgop.html
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

She's learning all my best tricks. Damn. I am becoming superfluous.
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

kiri wrote:
and neither party has been stubborn or destructive ever since.
ha!
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Scavenger wrote:She's learning all my best tricks. Damn. I am becoming superfluous.

...becoming?

And yes, I stole this trick from you. But that was a gimme, you have to admit.
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

what trick?

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

I am the Internet Scavenger; the guy that finds the answers. I tend to go the The Straight Dope a lot. But Kiri beat me to it. She is learning all my best Internet surfing tricks.
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

Ah, I see *snicker* Go Kiri! *high5*

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Dio

Post by Dio »

kid get a grip of yourself and stop now.
limecat

Post by limecat »

i wack up to an alarm clock or a nice cold shower alway's does it
limecat is not pleased!
Score
Mud Addict

Post by Score »

i wack up to an alarm clock or a nice cold shower alway's does it

THAT.
WAS.
BEAUTIFUL.

I haven't laughed that hard in I don't know how long.

Thank you.
"We've come for your daughter Chuck..."
limecat

Post by limecat »

huh did i say something funny? :?:
limecat is not pleased!
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

*pat pat*
"If you have a right to someone else's approval, then they do not have a right to their own opinions and values." - Dr. Thomas Sowell

http://ws6.blogspot.com
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

93.1 jack fm.

It's a weird-ass channel.
My blog is located at:

http://www.jarrodlarocco.com/kiri