A new challenging race

Here's a place to talk about each of the races - which is better, what changes you'd like to see, and just general commentary on each.
Stars
Mud Addict

A new challenging race

Post by Stars »

I like the idea of creating a new and challenging race for experienced players. The race would be incredibly wimpy. Maybe starting with all attributes at 3. They get very few skills (plus all skills oog cost?). (Alicia suggested kick at lvl 10, bash at 20, headbutt at 30, heal light at 40). They get the fewest hp and mana in the game. There is a 1000 hp/mana limit for mortal enhancing (it might be too cruel to include that through hero levels...but then again, maybe not). They have major eq limitations, even worse than avians. A race of "mole-people", for instance, would be too small to wear most mortal eq.

As a reward for working so hard to gain avatar status, this new race would gain incredible spells unique to the race that have huge bonuses against other races and mobs. Perhaps they also get a nice stat raise once they reace level 151 (the god of moles grants them favor for keeping the faith). As a rehero, the mole-person (or whatever race it is) gets to keep all avatar spells/skills. BUT, only those already of this race can rehero as the race. No other race can do it.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

I like this idea. I think it would be great to make something much more difficult for those that have mastered the game. I only see one problem. With so many whining they can't have their twinks anymore I find it hard to believe that many would take on such a challenge. Many that I have seen don't play to take on the challenge they play to find loopholes. I know there are some that don't do that.

Anyway now that I have said all that I still think it is a good idea. I think it would be a fun challenge. I think it will be really interesting once the code goes in to not allow twinking.

:)
Cord

Post by Cord »

I'm up for it. ;-)

Plus, having minimal skills/abilities, it shouldn't take _too_ long to throw in there, either. Bonus!
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

too easy
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

They could have an automatic "weaken" casted on them, too. Cause that list is just like a kender without a backstab...
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

*smothers Anakin* *cough* he doesn't know what he's talkin about :)
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Not really. The list is so much like a race without practicing anything, and not enhancing anything. I've done this. The only challenge is that you can't have stats more than 1000 and that your stats (str, dex, etc) are lower.

I don't see how the eq limitations can be a big deal, I never really paid attention to ac anyways.

Do they still get heroskills?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Eq restrictions limit the damage that you are capable of dealing. Without spells or hit/dam eq, a character would have a tough time leveling, especially if their tnl is the highest in the game (which I forgot to suggest in the post above). Perhaps as another restiction to make it more challenging would be to not allow any spellups. No other character can cast spells upon the new race. We could make the argument that they have a natural immunity to magic. Perhaps as a slight bonus for the race, mob spells would not affect them either, but this may be giving them too much. We can come up with some reason why good spells don't work for them, but negative spells will work against them.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

And lo to the Vor'karavaks, the innately magical race that lives within the warp of pure magic. These odd creatures lose their power when they move onto our world, to explore our culture, and experiment with being, for once, creatures of matter. Most of their attention is wrapped up in keeping their physical body together, and thus learning skills and spells as we know them is rarely done, and it is hard for them to stay physical enough to actually keep items about them, as most parts of their bodys are not tangible enough to fully support objects. Furthermore, as creatures of magic, their forms long to be with their proper medium; as such, their bodys absorb spells like no others. Beneficial spells are unconciously canabalized to feed the creature, whereas, to their dismay, detrimental spells are taken in without question, poisoning them and leading to their doom.

---

Thusly, all "beneficial" spells are converted into a cure light spell, and the race has an innate +50 save versus magic.
--Lairian
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

the spells thing would suck that would eliminate clericus and any other spell caster. aswell as scrolls wands rods and potions.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

That's the point. :P

I like it, Lairian.
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

you would
Cord

Post by Cord »

I'm liking this.

I'd add to that description that the eq these creatures wear becomes bound into the flesh they are trying to hold together, and as such, when vanquished, everything the were wearing and holding disappears into nothingness, unable to be recreated due to the great effort needed in forming a new physical body.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

interesting idea, but lets modify it so that everything they have without a questprize flag goes poof when they die instead. something about the inherent magical nature of a quest prize can keep the item from dissapearing completely.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Oversoul

Post by Oversoul »

I don't like the idea of these mole people much... They remind me of the episode of the Harry Potter Simpons (halloween) where bart has to transform his frog into a prince. Instead of a prince he get's this warped green thing that can't stop barfing... yeah.. think of leveling something like that?? :lol:
-----Oversoul-----