Illithids

Here's a place to talk about each of the races - which is better, what changes you'd like to see, and just general commentary on each.
Gandhi

Illithids

Post by Gandhi »

Hey Jus want to say that squids rule!! Well imo anyways :lol: Once they get past the beginning they start to rock (like after reaching lvl 15-16+) Cannot stress the value of their spells, specially mb ( good for downing imms n heros :twisted: ) Also the fact that ill spells cannot be dispelled is another charming quality I like about them.
Last edited by Gandhi on Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

as one who has killed more than my fair share of imms and heroes, i would advise against using mb against an imm. even against avatars, we tend to remember things like that and make sure to extract our revenge at some point. imms are often, shall we say, less patient when it comes to revenge. :twisted: wheras an avatar may pounce on you at some later date and leave you with missing eq and 1 hp, an imm is able to do so immediately, whether you're in the arena or not. imms very rarely, in most cases, take a shot in the arena, and it's most often to give a shot to an avatar who thinks they're a badass, and to teach them a lesson or two. such an imm being pounced upon by a level 8 illithid generally puts everyone involved in a rather foul mood, ESPECIALLY if someone who didn't earn it tries stealing a bodypart. so just some friendly advice, avoid using MB in the arena unless you've already cleared it with the person you're using it against, or willing to accept whatever consequences might ensue. (by the way, this also goes for characters under level 5 taunting people, thinking that they can't be attacked. you can be, i've done it before, and i'll do it again, given the provocation :twisted: )
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

The only gripe I have against illithids is death field. I have to be evil in order to use it. Evil just isn't in my heart... Perhaps this is the reason why I have delayed so long in taking an Illithid into the higher levels.
Heck, even when I was an avatar demon I had +1000 alignment half the time. Of course, I was still stronger than anyone else. 0:)
Oh yeah, and when are we going to get a halo/angel emoticon?
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Gandhi

Post by Gandhi »

Yes I know it is against using mb one the ills and trust me I know (..damn bamf....) but still it can be very effective in times of need... jus dun use it against imms or avas is a smart thing too :D

Now in this part I have a few questions or suggestions...
I think Ills should get a spell called like delusion. It would work basically like frezy or berzerk (more like frenzy since it oculd be cast on other players). I know that Ills CAN get frenzy, but it's oog and since most of ills spells are the same thing jus renamed and then ig (sanc/ironmonk->bio, lev->fly, etc ) then I think they should get that spell. Mebbe have it be something like -You imagine yourself the size of a dragon!! or something like that... :? well it's jus a thought anyways.

Also, I think that Ills should get or have something similar to identify or charm. YES I know that the chance of another version of charm being added is slim, more than likely even lower than slim, but it would make more since for an ill to have it than an avian imo anyways. As for identify, *shrug* just think that in an illithid's vast source of knowledge they would be able to identify an object, if not completely then atleast partially :?

that's it for now, hopefully will have some better ideas in the future...
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

I just wanted to reply to the spell of frenzy question. I have an illithid who is now level 137. She took NO OOGs, I mean not even ONE. I only have a tnl of around 7 mil at level 137 due to this. So I think if an Ill really wants frenzy, they should just take the oog cost and go get it. Ills have TONS of spells and are strong enough without coding in a new spell that they already actually get. Ills are very strong once they get their death field spell. I mean stick to lucky days and you have no problem as long as you enhance your mana! A charm spell does sound good from a roll playing perspective since they are mind controll creatures, it makes sense. But do they NEED a charm spell, I would have to say no.
*your very own squidy Angel*
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

I'm not trying to squash any ideas, ideas are great, but just so you know, new ideas for illithids are probably the last things on the list to get impllemented. Before demons, illithids were "the big project" and were completely redone to what they are today.

I only say this so people new to the mud who see things like the projected human redo don't think that illithids will be redone too. They already got their makeover and have to wait awhile now.[/b]
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

Oh and the 7mil tnl is After enhancing, before it is only around 5.5 or so!
:lol:
*bounces around* Dev
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

As far as logistics of skills (i.e. what makes sense for a race to have), I'm all for ills getting a charm skill. Of course, given our general antitheses towards charm spells/skills in general (they create a ton of hassle for imms), I'm only for it if we dump it from avians. I never really understood why those birds got it in the first place....
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Gandhi

Post by Gandhi »

hehehe jus some ideas I was tossing around. Also I know that their are many many MANY mroe things that can and will be done before anything is even thought about being changed or added to ills. it's just some ideas for the future for when that time does come :P
Gandhi

Post by Gandhi »

Hi just some more random ideas that I have either been wondering about or have thought would be interesting to if is applicable...

1. Is it possible to have a trigger like spell. I mean if you cast a spell could it not effect a person until they make a certain action, IE Give ills a Poison mind spell in which when casted onto a mob/player, nothing happens until that mob/player casts a spell THEN he takes damage. This spell could last for so many hours and whenever the mob/player with "poison mind" on them casts a spell they would take damage.

2. Is it possible to have spells do damage only when mobs/players are asleep, ie ills receive a nightmare/waking nightmare spell in which when ever the mob/player is asleep they take poison like damage, or have it increase over time (the longer they stay asleep the more damage they take per tick)

3. For ills to be able to "siphon" man from mobs/players via their tenticles. This would be sorta right no? I mean Illithids are supposed to suck their victims brains out through their tentacles, so why not jus replace the whole brain thing with mana. Have it act kinda like the insight spell whereas if it fails (have a high fail rate in beginning then slowly becomes better, but still fail somewhat often) the mob/player attacks you and you are lagged for a round

4. Give Ills a "stutter" spell in which when casted upon a player they can only speak like drunks or just incoherently This could/would be like the create sound spell where it has no true purpose other than to annoy people and to have fun.

5. Have a tower of spikes barrier/wall/shield spell, where instead of making it harder to be hit or taking less damage like the other spells it adds the chance of the mob/player hurting itself on a 'spike' (work kinda like riposte or whatever it be called for dwarfs, it parries the attack back at the mob/player so it takes damage) but at a much lower damage wise so it gives them an extra non-weapon based attack and yet it is not nearly as strong as MB.

6. Give ills a "body of a corpse" spell or call it something like "Rigor Mortis glare", anyway it attacks the dex of the mob/player in which it makes them much harder to move or in this case to dodge attack and makes it harder to walk so it takes more mv to move around. but it mostly lowers the dex stat by like 1 and it can go up to 4 or 5 at high high lvls or something

7. Well this one is iffy, but since (if i remember right) the revamped humans are supposedly going to get an attack which can bypass MB, which got me thinking that ills could get a spell which was something like "Pierce magical shield" which through a lot (well enough) mana their spell(s) go through the shield(s) of the mob/player unchallenged, you could call it like Mind Razors or Psychokinetic Razors or Razor Wit or something

8. in addition to the possibility of the latent spells (like Poison mind idea) mebbe have it possible for a spell called like Latent explosion or Explosive Ideas/Explosive Chain of Thought/Explosive Thoughts, but instead of the constant 'poison damage' that the mob/player would receive they would receive a medium (going up to massive at higher levels) amount of damage when they cast a spell. This one (unlike the poison) would be a one time type thing and would dissappear after a single cast, but unlike the other it would not have a predetermined amount of time till it fades out AND it counters the spell being casted.

If any of this is already in effect let me know. That's it for now, sorry for any typos or anything of the sort since this is my 3rd time typing this *mutters* I hate AOL.... *end mutter*
Ginzor

Post by Ginzor »

I only have one thing to say..
Make Illithids more powerfull and make them almost worthless under the influence of alcohol.
How well does the brain work when you are drunk? :wink:
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength - George Orwell
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Good point! Drunk illithids should not be able to use their mental powers.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Ginzor

Post by Ginzor »

Or maybe they should be immune to alcohol..any case that fits into the race description
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength - George Orwell
Gandhi

Post by Gandhi »

That would also be cool, jus the thought of a squid sitting at recall chuggin firebreathers.... mwhahahahaha, the only thing would be if the squids are immune to alcohol does that make them immune to the restoritive properties of this?
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

If anyone deserves to be immune to the effects of alcohol it should be dwarves. Perhaps only the strongest booze, like firebreather, might work on that stout race.
As for illithids, I have never seen anything that might suggest they don't feel the effects of drinking. I know the illithids of Barren Realms are a little different than the mind-flayers of d&d fame (br illithids are supposedly peaceful---which doesn't explain why they must be evil to use their spells), but they are still squid-headed psionic magic users.

If indeed the squids are closer to mind-flayers, then the "help illithid" should be updated to show their evil tendencies.