Dwarves

Here's a place to talk about each of the races - which is better, what changes you'd like to see, and just general commentary on each.
Gandhi

Dwarves

Post by Gandhi »

Ok since I personally don't own a dwarf (nor do I want to) I cannot go and say how good they are. I do however think they should get some of the following skills, most of these are or were already mentioned but since we have a new board then I thought I could add them again...

Cleave: Kinda like a finsihing move I guess you would call it. Only works when the mob is really weak or is (#) lvls lower than you or something. When it does work have it do major damage (or kill the mob) and have a high chance of removing a limb from the mob at the end of the fight (if possible), but if it doesn't work (which have rather high till higher lvls or something) it says something like BONG! Your weapon is rattled loose from your hands or something like that, but in anycase you drop your weapon. Or instead of doing major damage have it like destroy equipment so the equipment goes from like to to SMASHED or completely destroyed or something.

I think Dwarves should be able to go mining for like gold (only in mountinous terrain), and should be able to make/repair weapons or armors. Also I think they should be able to bash through doors or something, but if there is a mob on the other side it attacks (have it say something like Your loud crash enrages <mob name>. Mebbe have a few non-bashable doors in which a kender is necessary (in order to make their pick lock skill more useful).

Dwarves should be able to get a skill called like Beer Chugger or something in which it takes them a shorter time to recover from being drunk. Kinda makes since, you know how dwarves love their ale :wink:

Give them some kind of skill/spell called like Earth Sight or something. since they live mostly underground they can hear/see mobs by placing their ears to the ground (would work kinda like an ills detect presence)

That's it for now. Again I know most of these are rather idiotic or have already be mentioned, but those were the ones i thought they should have. Hopefully I will be adding more later.
Teach

Post by Teach »

Well, I'd have to say that in my experience so far, getting to 34th level as a dwarf, that only a few things really would add to "the dwarven experience" :)

and here they are, in no particular order:

Flying tackle:
The one weakness of the dwarf is those darn spellcasters, especially if they're in the air, and there's no way to fix that without wasting time with dispel magic while they blow you away. The flying tackle is a pleasant compromise.
on success: Mutual trip 4 or so rounds (maybe have a wider range 2-8 or something) where the two are entangled and neither can cast.
on failure: Self trip for 1-3 rounds (you just fell)

Dwarven Resistance:
Dwarves are well known for being hardy folk, highly magic resistant (not to mention poison and whatnot.) My proposition to represent has 2 options.
skillwise: On a successful save, damage is mitigated, anywhere from half to completely shrugging it off, treated as a passive skill like dodge and parry.
resistwise: Flat bonus to save based on level. (not much flavor in that)

Dwarven Cannonball:
"Toss me"
"What?"
(Ok so I thought that'd just be a funny quote to throw in)
A couple different ways this could be treated, one being the bull rush style Lairian mentioned to me, where the dwarf charges through and pushes a single mob with him (there are female dwarves?) to the next room over. Personally I like the concept of a killing machine of DOOOOM where the dwarf enters into melee into a clusterf*** and wreaks havoc on all around him. (The biggest problem I've had with *ahem* events like that is that I become quickly disarmed.) My take on it would be to make this a targeted skill.... Complete with a move from the next room over. (Cannonball North makes you move north and start keeling.) Effective use: directional move, for duration of cannonball an AC buff (who wants to get close), possible atk/dam mod (maybe up maybe down, could even be a function of the skill activation) and a "trip" effect for the duration (you're in a berserker frenzy, what else can you do). Opening move also attempts to hit everything in the room, you can't pick friend from foe and is intended to pick a fight with everyone.

Cleave ~ Finishing Strike
When time comes to end the fight, it's a little silly chasing a mob across 3 or 4 rooms only to have them run again. (I'm almost completely straight up dwarf, blindness, parry, and identify being the only oog.) And it'd be nice to see some angry damage that jumps up and looks neat. Actual function would be like breath weapons, based on your HP, and hit or miss, leaves the dwarf functionally stunned, based on the targets HP. (Possible bonus for 2 handed)

Reforging
"We have the technology..."
Dwarves of lore have been famous for being smiths, and it seems appropriate to bring that skill out. Since creating items with whatever function a dwarf wants would be silly, something more tangible should be used. To reforge what's already there works a whole lot better.
System: Raise the level of the item to either the dwarf's or to a certain point the dwarf picks, raise the base AC appropriately, and add to AC or saves a function of the dwarf's level. The balance to this would be a money sink and xp sink. The dwarf is putting his heart into it, literally. Taking the idea for this from enhancing. Time and effort is put in, and an item that you like (Maybe that bright silver bracer :) ) is made better. Make a tag like "shiny" that would make it obvious that the item's been reforged, and limit forging to once in the items lifetime.

Alcoholerance:
Beer Beer Beer Tiddily Beer Beer Beer
Definitely needs to be a skill, as all the dwarven booze will make a mess of lesser people. Dwarves should just not feel the affects as much, period. One way to treat it to give a save vs spell, or use the dwarven fortitude previously mentioned, or just treat it as it's own function.

Teach
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I think the forge has already been discussed and the answer was a 'no'.

I think the only ones that I would like to see is the 'mine' command since dwarves are natural miners, they should get a skill like this to earn their living.

In my experience with 4 dwarves, I personally think that they don't need any more battle additions since they are so powerful with enhanced damage and third attack.
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i agree, dwarves are just fine as is, no need to make them MORE powerful in combat. i do like the forge idea, but needs some more serious drawbacks-making the item timed, maybe, since the armour was perfectly fine beforehand and all that meddling is sure to mess it up somewhat?
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Slart

Post by Slart »

About the mine and forge ideas...I have decided that, in the interest of saving time, I will henceforth respond to all ideas that are otherwise good but cannot be implemented because of the potential for abuse through botting by simply posting "Bot." If further explanation is requested, I will provide it, but you will all have at least one chance to skip my long-winded response. ;)

Anyway...

Bot.
Teach

Post by Teach »

So what about the alcoholerance though?

:wink:

Teach
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

well, i understand the application of "bot" to the mining idea, but i don't really see how it would apply to the forge idea.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".