If you could make a race what will it be

Here's a place to talk about each of the races - which is better, what changes you'd like to see, and just general commentary on each.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

How about something that's closer to a race? Ninja is usually considered a class/profession/etc. (Of course, so's druid, but we've covered that moderately well as far as we regard them.)

On topic, I'd like to see a race that plays very differently from anything we currently have. Gnomes (as tinkers/alchemists... using/combining/consuming items to get the effects they're after, whether positive/negative affects, attacks, building some sort of weapon for themselves, and so on) would fit that.

Of course, we won't be adding any new races for an indeterminate amount of time. When we do, I'm sure there'll be no lack of suggestions (we already have probably a dozen scattered throughout the forums) for what it should be.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

*nods at EB* And also ninjas don't really fit BR's theme particularly well in my opinion.

If you're going to suggest gnomes then you have to suggest pixies and sprites and goblins, orcs and ogres too! Well you don't have to but it's fun to anyway.

...and hey doesn't this topic belong in the Races room? ;) *pokes Dragonseeker*
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Ninjas would be appropriate if we have another place like Kyoto and the likes. ;)
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

I'm working on it... stop pressuring me, already! (And, no, Blue, gnomes do not necessarily invoke the necessity of pixies/sprites/faeries/etc., because dragonlance has corrupted the original meaning of gnomes to include a race that happens to be good at mechanical building, and no longer deals with the magical/folklorish aspect of the original gnomes.)
-EB
Score
Mud Addict

Post by Score »

What is BR's theme? You mean charactor wise? Take a look around at the different areas. They vary from Candy Land to the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Those two really aren't two themes you sit side by side at the dinner table, ya know?

How would implementing Ninja's NOT fit? I think a better question would be, wouldn't gnomes be a little too close to Dwarfs? Unless these were super duper ninja gnomes who shot lasers from their eyes and sprouted wings like Avians and could breathe air underwater. I just don't see the difference. You say dwarf, I see lawn gnomes. Like the ones from the Travelocity.com commercials.

Back on topic, I'm waiting for Angels to be added. And I don't think you should be able to start off as an one like Elves, Druids, Ills so on and so forth, it should be something like to Re-mort as a demon. And just to make it that much harder, I'd say to only be able to "re-mort" as an Angel on your last time around as an Avatar.

We've gone on to talk about how just getting to 151 as an Ava4 or a DemonAvatar is more a less the end unless you want to: fight Xor, run quests, participate in quests, chat, play in the arena and/or build areas. I think that for those of us who haven't demon'd yet it would be a great idea. IF nothing else, something to do.
Last edited by Score on Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We've come for your daughter Chuck..."
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

Whet the hell is a gnomb?! Are you being Bad Score again?
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
Java

Post by Java »

Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

Oh, a gnome....

Disturbingly enough, a Google Image Search for gnomb turns up:
Score
Mud Addict

Post by Score »

I fixed it. Happy?

WTF is that thing in the picture?
"We've come for your daughter Chuck..."
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

I am always happy. :)

Apparently, the thing in the picture is a gnomb. A firefighting gnomb...
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

*sigh* Once again, gnomes in the Dragonlance sense of the race (yes, I'm stealing from them, too bad). They are not fighters, do not particularly like ale, are similar to dwarves only in their height, not their build, and as a racial tendency, are typified by a mad scientist feel. i.e. Build crazy contraptions and throw various chemicals together to see what happens. Do they still remind you of BR Dwarves? (And this is the last I'll say on them, since I know we won't be putting in any races, so it's a pretty good waste of my time to describe a new one.)
-EB
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

angels.. as a morph race
My blog is located at:

http://www.jarrodlarocco.com/kiri
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

Bubble people!!!

Sorry...I'm playing the bubbles game...blame Kiri

At least I didn't say Banana Phone people.....*blink*
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

oh, i have an idea....merpeople. who, just for a real piss-off, have to wear reverse-scuba eq any time they're not underwater. (ok, yes, i just watched hellboy, so sue me. it's still a neat idea.)
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I have been thinking about that lately, Disaster. It's cool that you mentioned mer-people. I think that would be a really really really great idea.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.