If you could make a race what will it be

Here's a place to talk about each of the races - which is better, what changes you'd like to see, and just general commentary on each.
Lonewarrior
Location: In the shadows tapping u on the shoulder,scared yet?

Post by Lonewarrior »

type google ronso cause thats where I got the pics and I think it would be awesome to have it as a race anyway :twisted:
Shadow~Lurker
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

You are the first person I have ever heard praise ff8. I thought ffx actually had a really good plotline, based on a very consistent world, as well as a really intuitive, varied method for advancing characters. I'm not sure that the plotline was as good as ff7, but, imo, it was close.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I'm not sure it was even close to FF7, but it was better than FF8. FFX was better after I got past the bad voice acting.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

I've seen much worse in games... but yes, yuna's and tidus's voices especially grated on me (as compared to the other characters in the game).
-EB
Java

Post by Java »

i cant see the pic

copy it to your harddrive and upload it here and then post the new link here.
Lonewarrior
Location: In the shadows tapping u on the shoulder,scared yet?

Post by Lonewarrior »

I have finished 7 not 8 and finished 9,10 and almost x-2 :twisted:
Shadow~Lurker
Exo

Post by Exo »

I'm prolly gonna get some flak about this but, here it goes anyways. I've always thought of the realms as slightly diverse, meaning there is no real division of races. You make a dwarf and multi-char with a druid, ooo, lots of division there. So, well, i had an inkling of a sort. Why not make like 5-7 races that are similar to, but not exactly the same as the races we have. They wouldnt be hard to create cause we already have the base race here. This way the realms would throw off the already monotonous playing we have, and it could even bring in new players when they notice we have 12-14 races instead of 8. I've seen on a few other muds like 20-30 races with 5-10 classes of each. On top of that, since we dont have classes, it lowers our appeal a bit. For instance, we could make ninja's, similar to humans, differant skill names, and add a few while also taking a few. Or Dark (drow) Elves, much like elves, only give'em more evilish named spells. see my point... having similar, yet not the same races could help us draw some new blood and keep all of those bored avatars from whining for awhile.
I am happy to let girls indulge themselves using my body.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

as for appeal, it all comes down to how it's presented. if you tell a newbie "we don't have classes, only races" of course that sounds a little boring. if you say "we've eliminated strict classes in favour of allowing characters to customize their characters on a skill-by-skill basis, allowing for greater diversity and personalization to player preference and playing style" it sounds a hell of a lot better.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I believe Exo makes some good points. I have always put a good spin on our lack of character race/class options, Disaster. Even so, I remember one newbie in particular that left after seeing our limited selection. I am sure there have been more. I would LOVE to see 5-7 new races. Heck, I'd like to see 10 more races added at the same time. That would be a blast. Classes, or things like classes, have been discussed before but always shot down. I'm still for more choices for player creation. Is everyone else still against this?
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i think it may come down to a cost/benefit analysis in the end. yes, new races are tons of fun, but they take one person (or a very small group of people) a LONG time to code (demons, for example) for a comparatively small increase in variety. on the other hand, things like the upcoming area format redesign will allow all of our builders, of which there are many, to work in extra variety, all with considerably less coding effort than it would take to create several new races. new races good? very. just not neccesarily the most productive use of coder time.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

(In a belated reply,) I am quite sure that we have absolutely no plans towards re-adding classes. We are working towards diversifying our existing races (to make them play less like each other). We like player options and making it more interesting to play the different races, but it takes a long time to get most of them through (especially new races, more especially if they have a different playstyle than our standards). If we did manage to put in 5-7 races simultaneously, they would, for the most part, play as our current races do, with some few different or unique skills.
-EB
Exo

Post by Exo »

thats what i was trying to say EB, even if they do play similar to the races we already have, they wouldnt be identical. and coding it couldnt be THAT hard, i mean seriously, copy, paste, edit, insert. the number of lines that would have to change in the new races code wouldnt be all that huge, just enough to make the race individual in its self.
I am happy to let girls indulge themselves using my body.
Slart

Post by Slart »

*PUKE*
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Ugh. You missed my point. If you make them play (nearly) entirely the same, what's the point of putting them in in the first place? None. It's a waste of coding effort.
-EB
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Even if they play nearly the same, writing can make a world of difference. This is fantasy. I'm with you, Exo.