New working draft for "help rumors"

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
ducci

New working draft for "help rumors"

Post by ducci »

Okay, the old working draft thread is so old, I made a new one.

Brodgar emailed me some suggested edits for the last working draft, most of which I implemented. I posted his email at the end of the old working draft thread.

Before, I had not messed much with the original rumors that weren't being culled. There were a lot of complaints about them, though, so this time I modified most of them--even the ones that no one complained about. These are new and haven't been reviewed by EB or Brod yet.
Known issues:

The Lamorak rumor is probably bad. It is a rewrite of a bad original rumor. :wink:

The Lord Vulture rumor breaks the fourth wall flagrantly. I'm waiting for EB to put his foot down before I rewrite.

I'm not sure about the lvl 10 Astral Plane rumor. As you can see I went with Brod's revision of my much longer rumor. There might be a better third way.

The Fireswamp rumor is kind of old. Not sure how to rewrite it, so I left it. i'm open to suggestions.

I only slightly modified the old RHPS rumor. It might need a little dressing up.

The King Kandy rumor is a little silly. Brod suggested a slightly sanitized version that didn't really do it for me. I put down an alternate second sentence in parentheses but still not sure.

EB didn't think Yama should be included in that last rumor. Brod thought it was great. The idea is to get people to at least see the sights of mortal-land instead of just grinding straight through to 51. Replacing Yama with something about 40 thieves or dark tower is a possibility. i will wait for a little feedback before going forward, though.

One more thing: we could probably use one more rumor each on 35, 40 and 45. Maybe something about samurai swords in Yama for 35. I'll see what people think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
RUMORS 0
Sleeping near the healer Clericus can be beneficial, but sleeping near the BR Academy Instructor is even better.

Despite warnings from your mother about frittering your time away, you might find it worthwhile to play in the Pool Room.

Retired from his successful pursuit of the Minotaur, Thesius has set up a shop in town to help discern important properties of items you've acquired in your travels

Detecting invisible beings is an essential skill for adventurers in the Realms. Maybe the Calathar magician can help you with this.

Your diploma is more than just a keepsake.

RUMORS 5
There have been rumors going around of an underground lake in the insect garden, filled with a variety of nasty insects. One of them in particular has an item that can help those who wear it fly.

You've noticed that most of the grizzled veterans stopping at Calathar stock up on pot pies from the baker. The pies must be an efficient source of protein.

There is a neighborhood on the outskirts of town where bad girls hang out. Vain as they are, they might carry something useful to you.

Not too far off the eastern path of Calathar, the gnome scientists have invented a marvelous basket, which holds many objects and sometimes even magically generates food!

Even Santa knows the best place in the realms to get toys is Ledwick's, but few realize the necessary obverse of its wonders: the grotesque creatures born of the
old man's failed experiments. Too pitied to be destroyed, they haunt the hollow spaces and dark corners of his shop.

RUMORS 10
Sleeping near Clericus may not be as helpful as it was when you were small. However, he is still willing to offer his healing services for a price.

A common topic of conversation in Filthy's tavern is the number of adventurers lost to the Astral Plane, their souls excised by liches as punishment for trying to steal the ancient weapons of
its inhabitants.

During an annual art gala taking place in Calathar, you overhear a couple talking about a famous magical portrait housed in the great Elven citadel to the north.

Rumor has it there is a large house off the southern path from Calathar, filled with unique characters and a variety of useful items. Will you be able to solve the murder without any clues?

There is no minimum drinking age within the Realms, so drink up. Adventurers who rely on mana may find the drunken state beneficial, despite slurred speech and stumbling.

A popular practice among the warriors of the Realms is to enchant common weapons with elven magic. Elves once held a closely-guarded monopoly on the process, but over the centuries some of its secrets have been committed to paper. It is said the Thalosians had learned such arcana, but then again Thalos is just empty ruins...

RUMORS 15
The gnomish villagers outside of Calathar are convinced that the stream to the south of them is the entrance to a magical world. Their tale of a strange device for seeing hidden creatures has widely circulated.

Last month a prominent aeromancer posited that the largest hurricanes are powered by magical clouds at the core of the storms. He mounted a sea expedition to try to obtain one of these clouds for further study but was apparently killed by pirates.

A tower full of confusion and strange images has been sighted on the far western edge of Arialis Forest, its entrance guarded by the statue of its founder.

Citizens of the small village of Lershar have been in a state of panic lately, especially during the full moon.

Want to keep a low profile? There's now an alchemical alternative to casting invisibilty on yourself. Unfortunately, due to import restrictions you'll have to trek out to Elemental Canyon if you want to buy any. Better stock up.
RUMORS 20
A scholar visiting from Valence gave a lecture on the old Olympian gods, whom he insists are quite real, He says they still cling to existence in an mountain enclave, effete and unworshipped.

There's been much talk in the Realms' harbors that the pirate lords now possess a special nautical instrument which magically locates lost treasures.

A young astrologer told you once, "Look to the stars my friend, for there you will find Herculean power." You get the feeling this was more than just a horoscope.

The study of weapon enchantment has advanced far within the immaculate walls of Perelandra. Such a valuable magic is surely worth a trip to investigate.

Is your connection a little sluggish? The annoying inhabitants of a city northwest of Arialis Forest might be to blame. If you have the misfortune of visiting, you might find it worthwhile to track down a certain portly blacksmith or to keep your eye out for a renowned master of espionage.

RUMORS 25
Deep in the southern mountains, Yamanoha Fortress crouches over a region torn by conflict and alive with magic. In that alien land, desperate battles rage on a bloody plain, the passageways of the citadel brim with intrigue, ancient

tongues sound in the lapping of lake water, and the shroud of some great secret hangs over every forest trail. A diligent adventurer will leave a richer man.

Feeling stressed? The Buddhist temple west of Solace recently put in a Japanese-style garden. After you've sat awhile in the pagoda, contemplating the illusory nature of the physical world, you should have no qualms about killing the gardeners and taking their stuff.

Packrats accumulate plenty of junk, but pack-ogres are even worse! A famous one lives in a castle surrounded by bugbears northeast of the Hangman. You might borrow a container from him and start doing some hoarding of your own.

A lupine knight has been terrorizing the approaches to Blackmoor Forest. His unique helm is rumored to be the source of his strength.

A citizen bearing numerous cuts and bruises has been raving in the square of Calathar about an ogre town that he stumbled upon on a trip to Malathar. The traveler claims that the ogre chieftain donned a pair of magical gauntlets and hurled him back to Calathar.

RUMORS 30
Legends speak of a flail of immense power in the highest reaches of the Astral Plane. They also warn that the man who would grasp it might instead feel its lash.

Take a few minutes and stop by Roderick Usher's house. He's going through a bad time right now and could use some cheering up. While you're there, look around for a certain piece of neckwear: it might help you prevent a premature burial.

After collaring a thief who tried to lift your purse, you ask him what brought him to such straits. He finally admits that he once studied weapon enchantment at the High Tower but was expelled for drunkenness. His old professor, he states proudly, had almost reached the theoretical mortal limit for such spells.

Through a portal in the mountains, there is a city filled with crime and corruption. Powerful drugs are trafficked freely on its streets, and you've heard that at least one might be useful to adventurers. Just don't get addicted.

So you want to be as sexy as Sir Lamorak? What's his secret, you ask? Accessorize. Just check out those delicious spurs he has on.

A geeky teenager handed you an advertisement that read: "Come one come all, see the showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show." You gathered from the ad that the location of the theater was somewhere in Perelandra.

RUMORS 35
After a month among the obscure tomes of the Malatharan Library, you come across a passage about a mining town called Siberfur, thriving at the foot of the Siberfels Mountains. Nowadays, though, few travelers hike the vales north of Ogrek's Keep, and somewhat oddly, not one can be found who made the return trip.

Trouble is brewing in Murkmire, east of the Dwarf Forest, as reports of witchcraft trickle back to Calathar. An experienced fighter like you would be a welcome sight to the embattled woodmen.

Out in the far eastern reaches of the Realms, Sinbad has been making some incredible voyages. He's so busy getting rich that he's probably missing out on some good equipment. Why don't you tag along and see what there is to see?

Just because you're not dead doesn't mean you can't pay Charon an obolos and visit the underworld. But remember that your victims have already died once--this time they might be a little more prepared.

RUMORS 40
In a bid to better secure the swampy southern passages to his castle, King Kandy has announced an open season on the fierce molasses pools who reside there. Cynics have noted that the edict suspiciously coincides with the opening of a royal chain of pancake houses.

Overlooking Crystalmir Lake is the beautiful White Lotus Temple, where martial monks have set up 36 chambers of progressively difficult challenges. No one could expect you to defeat all of these expert fighters, but you might find the attempt rewarding.

The warlike Amazons of the southern tropics owe their success not only to ferocity and prowess but also to certain extremely powerful accoutrements bequeathed to them by their patron Faustus. The pure-hearted warrior would do well to acquire some.

Several ships entering Freeport have reported sightings during their voyages of a mountain that hovers over the surface of the ocean. This sounds like typical sailor superstition, but honestly, would we mention it if there wasn't a good piece of equipment there?

RUMORS 45
Ages ago a Malacandran naval expedition disappeared in the arctic seas. Lost with the ships--but perhaps not lost forever--was the relic they were carrying: a huge, lethal sword stolen from the ice gardens of the Yeti.

On finding an underwater cave beneath their castle, the gnomish military sent in its elite scuba squad to investigate. The swift death that greeted them has the entire gnome community terrified. A call for mercenaries has been issued in Calathar, and it might increase your reputation to answer it.

Tired of being constantly picked on, the various rulers of Candyland have gathered at the Kastle Kandy to discuss their revenge. Are you a bad enough dude to go chop their faces off? (Alternate second sentence: "To adventurers this means: less walking, more chopping.")

It is said Oakley and Kiri spend their vacations in a summer house in a swamp full of fiery creatures. These creatures have breath that may destroy all of your possessions. The trees are remarked to be "quite nice," but watch out for those rodents! Seems to be an infestation.

RUMORS 50
One of the most arcane spells in the Realms, teleport is known only to the elves and envied by the other races. Reports from the Amazons, however, are beginning to suggest that the Snakemen have somehow mastered the skill.

The casting races tend to restrict the dissemination of their more specialized magical knowledge; nonetheless, a thriving black market for such exists somewhere in the alliance city of Clanghammer. The stock is so extensive that even an elf might find a spell he could use. Locating the covert sellers will probably prove difficult, though. Perhaps loitering around the more legitimate shops will give you a clue.

With demand for scuba gear fairly low, the industry sees little innovation. Thus you can't help but be intrigued by the legend of an old Freeporter admiral who lived for years with a mermaid paramour under the sea.

As you make a routine pass through the temple, the Guardian lumbers over to you and clears his throat. "Don't think you can just suddenly become a hero by killing a few mundane monsters," he intones. "True heroes have proven themselves in the most desperate battles. Have you defied the walls of flesh at the gates to Hell? Or mastered the pelagic horrors of the Dark Sea? Or cast down scaly Ciquala from her hideous throne? No, friend: first vanquish the fiend beneath Alandra, plumb the abyssal caverns of the Siberfels, pass through the four portals of the Yamanoha magi, and then seek to call yourself a hero." The Guardian has always struck you as a strange guy, but he might have point here.
ducci

Post by ducci »

Also to consider:

these rumors don't address flaming eq or point to any +mana items. i hate playing spellcasters and the bias shows.

Siberfels rumor started out huge, was cut in half by Brod, and halved again by me in this version. as it's one of the more important rumors, please critique it thoroughly.
Everybody
Needs Help

Re: New working draft for "help rumors"

Post by Everybody »

ducci wrote:Known issues:

The Lamorak rumor is probably bad. It is a rewrite of a bad original rumor.

The Lord Vulture rumor breaks the fourth wall flagrantly. I'm waiting for EB to put his foot down before I rewrite.

I'm not sure about the lvl 10 Astral Plane rumor. As you can see I went with Brod's revision of my much longer rumor. There might be a better third way.

EB didn't think Yama should be included in that last rumor. Brod thought it was great. The idea is to get people to at least see the sights of mortal-land instead of just grinding straight through to 51. Replacing Yama with something about 40 thieves or dark tower is a possibility. i will wait for a little feedback before going forward, though.
Comments directly on each item when not above for this section. On a second read, I'm ok with Lord Vulture and Yama in the final rumor (although I'm still on-the-fence about level-appropriateness). A minor change on the Astral Plane could say "rusted, ancient weapons" to give a slight additional clue. And, actually... I like the Lamorak rumor as it currently stands.
ducci wrote:One more thing: we could probably use one more rumor each on 35, 40 and 45. Maybe something about samurai swords in Yama for 35. I'll see what people think.
I don't mind another Yama clue, although that would make three. Something along the lines of having to search carefully at many different times would work, because of all the rare- and waldo-loads in there.

However, I also don't feel we need another for any of those levels. As characters move up in level, they should be expecting to explore on their own more, without prompting on our part.
ducci wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------------
RUMORS 5
There is a neighborhood on the outskirts of town where bad girls hang out. Vain as they are, they might carry something useful to you.

Not too far off the eastern path of Calathar, the gnome scientists have invented a marvelous basket, which holds many objects and sometimes even magically generates food!
Maybe something about the bruisers or dangers of DN in the mirror clue? And saying "they might carry something useful" feels awkward to me, now. Maybe "... bad girls hang out. If you can pry them off the arm of the gang bruisers they consort with, you may find the source of their perceived beauty."?

As far as the gnomes go, the basket doesn't actually hold much, but shortening it makes it feel abrupt.... maybe "A report from the gnome scientists off Calathar's eastern path claims they've invented a wonderful basket that can create food. Plus, it still works for carrying things!"
RUMORS 15
The gnomish villagers outside of Calathar are convinced that the stream to the south of them is the entrance to a magical world. Their tale of a strange device for seeing hidden creatures has widely circulated.
Maybe "... seems like utter fancy, but might be worth a look." instead of "... has widely circulated." here.
RUMORS 25
A lupine knight has been terrorizing the approaches to Blackmoor Forest. His unique helm is rumored to be the source of his strength.
This could use a revision, mostly by way of the second sentence. But I don't have any good ideas for fixing it.
RUMORS 30
A geeky teenager handed you an advertisement that read: "Come one come all, see the showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show." You gathered from the ad that the location of the theater was somewhere in Perelandra.
Yeah, this needs some tweaking. Why not point out that it's out of theme in some fashion? "Such a spectacle of technology deserves a look.", perhaps?
RUMORS 35
After a month among the obscure tomes of the Malatharan Library, you come across a passage about a mining town called Siberfur, thriving at the foot of the Siberfels Mountains. Nowadays, though, few travelers hike the vales north of Ogrek's Keep, and somewhat oddly, not one can be found who made the return trip.
A bit of adaptation here: "... Siberfels Mountains north of Ogrek's Keep. Word from the bars and taverns claims what travelers do seek out the old silver mines find little of the precious mineral and much danger learning that fact."
RUMORS 45
Tired of being constantly picked on, the various rulers of Candyland have gathered at the Kastle Kandy to discuss their revenge. Are you a bad enough dude to go chop their faces off? (Alternate second sentence: "To adventurers this means: less walking, more chopping.")

It is said Oakley and Kiri spend their vacations in a summer house in a swamp full of fiery creatures. These creatures have breath that may destroy all of your possessions. The trees are remarked to be "quite nice," but watch out for those rodents! Seems to be an infestation.
For Kandy, perhaps just "Are you up to the challenge, knowing that the King waits beyond his vassals?"

This fireswamp clue should probably be scratched and rewritten entirely. Why not: "If you can find a merchant with room for stock, rodent pelts are going for a premium, the larger the better. To get the best price, find the giants among them in a swamp full of fiery geysers and deadly quicksand." as a start?
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Is there any further progress on this? I've been doing some area file edits over the last few days, and really would like to get these in.
-EB
ducci

Post by ducci »

not yet :)

it might not be until next weekend that can i sit down with this and do a little editing

i'll see what i can do though
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Alright. Thanks for the update.
-EB
ducci

Re: New working draft for "help rumors"

Post by ducci »

still working on this

quick tip: DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH "TURQUINE"

apparently there is some guy named turquine on deviant art who posts a bunch of gay soft porn. about half the results on the first page were gay erotic photographs.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Glad to hear it.

And good to know. I'm sorry your virgin eyes were decimated by such imagery.
-EB