Am I evil?

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Stars
Mud Addict

Am I evil?

Post by Stars »

Ok, this is not completely formed in my own head yet, but I'll share anyway...

How about setting an alignment preference for each player?

For example, Bob decides to create a brand spanking new Avian. He enters all that is required to fulfill his wishes, and then he comes across a new query.

What is your alignment preference, Good, Evil, Neutral or None?

If Bob chooses "None", then he plays his avian just like we do now.

If Bob chooses to be Evil, then his characters functions at maximum if
his alignment is at -1000. At level one, he would start out at the first stage of evil, -330 or something. As he goes along, his avian will begin to get better or worse according to his actions. If he is good at being evil, then the gods of evil will smile upon his efforts. He would get some minor bonuses. If he goes completely against his preference, then the gods will frown upon him and curse him for abandoning them. There would be some minor penalties.

The bonuses or penalties would never be severe, and certainly nothing compared to demons. Probably +5/+5 hit/dam and -20 ac for perfect alignment. -5/-5 hit/dam and +20 ac for worst. (These are free for debate of course).

Neutral characters might get slightly higher bonuses since it is a bit more difficult to maintain true neutrality. The neutral gods reward higher because they feel that the need to maintain balace requires it.

Now, if Bob reaches level 20 and realizes that evil is wrong, then he is not out of luck. The gods of good are forgiving, even from one so evil as old Bob. He can go to a Temple of Good to change his preference. Changing one's preference would have to be expensive to prevent people from flopping from one to the other every other second. The gods may be forgiving, but Bob still needs to atone for his evil ways. He would need to sacrifice a huge amount of money to appease his new masters. Maybe he would have to hand over a practice session or three as well. In some ways it might be similar to enhancing.

Now Bob is good, and everything works in reverse compared to his previous evil nature.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

It seems as a good idea, but that kind of restriction on your character seems a bit much for that simple reward. Not to mention the equipment you will be forfeiting throughout the levels, possibly make the rewards/downfalls higher?
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Along the same lines....

If it wasn't so easy to change your alignment (kill sheep 4 or 5 times, visit a change_align mob) then this might, with more fleshing out, become a valuable addition.

However, unless such a change is implemented (Which I admit has been softly batted around) we're going to be sticking with the current system.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I can see your point, Divebomb. Hmm, those change_align mobs would be just too easy. Maybe we could make it so that they do not affect someone who has an alignment preference. Their gods protect them from those kinds of attacks. As for killing sheep and such, the only thing I can think of off hand is to lower the change that killing these small mobs has on alignment. Only by killing worthy opponents can a person appease his gods. Either that or we change the alignment + or - from all mobs killed.
Radicaled, the reason why I suggested the gains/penalties remain small is because it is easy to maintain alignment (just as DB suggested). There is good eq and bad eq for everyone, so loss is not really a problem. Think of it as reason to go out and try new areas to look for the right eq. The neutraly inclined has fewer eq choices, of course, so for now they would have a harder time. A few neutral-type areas might be made to accomodate them. I suggested a higher gain/penalty bonus for neutrals, but I take that back now since new areas could be added to help them out.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

You could always make change alignment a timed spell.

I've always wondered why it wasn't. Then again, since BR is based on old school D&D, the only change alignment things were high-powered cursed items; there was no spell equivalent, and all changes were permanent unless a cleric got them a cure ASAP.

I dunno, I'm babbling.
--Lairian
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Change alignment was meant to be a bad thing. If you really want to "fix it". It should only fire once, work every time, and always change the align to the furthest point from yourself. (so if you're at align of 1-1000 you become -1000 and if you're at -1 to -1000 you become 1000 and if 0 you lucky dog you stay 0).

It was supposed to zap off all your equipment and make you go through the process of fixing it. Of course this would merely require you fight the mob again, or flee and go fight them again. I use it to make it a pain to fight the mob in order to get the equipment... nothing like having your damroll go from 90 down to 45 because of all your alignment oriented stuff.

I really don't care if someone uses a change align mob to fix their alignment... leave the poor sheep alone!
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Change alignment can most certainly be annoying, but it is a simple thing to fix. I think there should be some way to limit the "use" of this bad thing. Lairian's suggestion for a time duration does sound interesting, but how would the spell effect future alignment changes? Would it stop any change at all as long as the spell lasts? That sorry demon would be angelic for 35 hours no matter what it tries to do. hehe!
Divebomb wrote:I really don't care if someone uses a change align mob to fix their alignment... leave the poor sheep alone!
I'm afraid that those sheep are going to be abused as long as 0 alignment is not a possible result of change alignment. Those who wish to maintain neutrality are gonna blast sheep and baaz like a cheap carnival shooting gallery.
Last edited by Stars on Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

re your original idea, Stars, we might have demons to play evil.. and we may incorporate other alignment restrictions for other optional races in the way future as well... hopefully this would satisfy any alignment wishes you may have. :D
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

The neutraly inclined has fewer eq choices, of course, so for now they would have a harder time.
Actually, neutral characters continue to be able to use 90% of the "best" eq up until level 40ish (where all the really good weapons become evil-only, good-only or anti-neutral - that's the only drawback to being truly neutral, actually). And most of the eq that neutral characters can't use before then has some drawbacks that make them comparable to other, wearable eq.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)