What is Real?

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Complaints, as per normal, go directly into the "We're never going to look at this pile ever, so you might as well not even bother" pile. Comments get moved to the "Glance over these if you have a bit of time and are bored" pile.

Note: this is my system, and mine only, all complaints and comments on it can be directed to me, where they will be appropriately piled.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I really don't know what is real but seeing a druid wearing a dwarven armor really defines "fantasy". I guess I'm just dreaming...
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Cows are real.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
kyrathaba

Post by kyrathaba »

It is a lie to think that any drug can enhance your consciousness.
I disagree. I work in the mental health field and some of my patients require drugs to enhance their perception of what we commonly call "reality". For example, some of my psychotic patients who get on a regular dosage of an antipsychotic medication such as Zyprexa, Geodon, or Abilify, are then much more able to maintain contact with what the majority considers to be "reality".

Of course, you used the word "consciousness", and perhaps you meant something slightly different than "reality"? If by "consicousness" you meant acute awareness of one's actual internal and external environment, then I'd say drugs like Adderall and Concerta do just that for patients suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Not trying to be cute here, just presenting a somewhat different viewpoint.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Obviously, I am referring to drugs used for recreational purposes. Some people need psychoactive drugs for medical reasons. There is a distinct difference between prescriptions helping someone with an illness and frying your own brain as a pastime.
Also, I was not the one who originally used the word "consciousness". By "enhancing consciousness" I meant leading one down the "road to understanding", as if LSD could make someone a genius.

Have you seen people on drugs?

The bats! The bats!
*swats at the air*
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
xorex

Post by xorex »

My druggy friends would say that intelligence and acute perception of the world are two very different things. But I've never done drugs so I can't really speak much more for them.
--Xorex
AMystery

drug use

Post by AMystery »

I am arguably an artist, and caffine is most definately a drug. A large percentage of my art is created while under the influence of sleep deprivation and caffine. Altering your mind is how you expand your consciousness and gain deeper understanding, but its a risky procedure.

Alcohol is a depressant but also releases your inhibitions so while it doesn't actually make you more creative, it lets you express it.

I would like to see something replace alcohol for mana replentishment, then we can use alcohol for its true purpose, getting drunk and stumbling around. I'm not quite to the stage of advocating mana potions being placed on random mobs, but something different would be nice. Sleeping to recover doesn't work well in a power leveling group, but I imagine the group would wait for their sleeping healer. What about a substance that does much the same as alcohol, but for a different reason. Drinking it is painful, it causes violent muscle spasms as your body restructures itself and your energy returns. Sort of like drinking a battery. Have it as something you need to drink regularly and it gives a quick boost to mana.