hit points and mana

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Stars
Mud Addict

hit points and mana

Post by Stars »

We should change the hp/mana gain for all races. Most notably strange are dwarves getting more hp than avians with a con of 25, and elves getting 3 mana at level. Either Avians need a different prime attribute, or they should get the most hp. Elves should get the most mana in the game, and NEVER get only 3 per level. Elves get the fewest hp, and mana is their only weapon. Give them more.

Why do kender get such balanced hp and mana? I could play a kender and have just about the same hp as an avian, and just about the same mana as an elf.

All fighter races should get less mana and good hp.
All magic-users should get less hp and good mana.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

I'll let EB post his hp/wis gain post again since he knows where it is, but basically the reason that happens is because the elves are throwing on all the con equip, the avians aren't paying attention, the elves are trying to use the fighter equipment and the dwarves are doing what they're supposed to.

If you play a mage class like a mage you'll gain more mana per level because you'll have focused on increasing your int and wis. If you're playing a fighter class like a newbie and not getting your con up, then you're going to suffer in the hp department.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Ginzor

Post by Ginzor »

BAH!
The mage classes get more mana then the fighters..you need to boost both int and wis to max!
I thought ginzor got perfect stats both in mana and hp and a fighter cant get that mana with that eq.
If you dont wear level eq suit yourself.
But the thing about avians have bothered me before, when I started RedStar I wanted to be the race who got the most hp. And I tried playing an avian some but dwarves gain more hp per level when both have full con..that is kind of annoying.
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength - George Orwell
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Short version: hp gain at level is strongly dependant on what race you are. Dwarves (as one of the few bonuses they actually do get) get lots of hps at level, enough to (generally) raise them over an avian's level (despite avians having a 25 con). Mana gain is a random process, for every race. Maxing your wis/int helps, because it extends the range that can be randomly picked in. However, they are not guarantees that you will get more mana at level.

Long version: explained in these posts - mana and hp.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I always max my stats before leveling. If it were that simple then I would not have posted anything on the subject.
Magic-users should get more mana than they do now, especially elves who get 7-12 hp per level and only 3-10 mana. Illithids also get less hp than druids, who get the best of all. An elf should NEVER get only 3 mana. They should average 10-20 mana.

I know the numbers are not perfect, so don't go wild on that. Sometimes they get more or less that what I wrote, but I am still fairly accurate.

The only other way we can balance it is to let the magic races get more hp. Does that make sense? Personally, I'm ok with fewer hp as long as the mana gain is better.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.