steal

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Leiland

steal

Post by Leiland »

Alright, this is a pretty silly idea, and it may get turned down flat, but I found the concept endlessly amusing.
At higher levels, kender should be able to steal equipment off of mobs, instead of just gold and inventory items. Now the argument will of course be brought up that it just isn't possible or plausible. For this I have a counterexample. I happen to know that the player behind Cabinwench has definitely earned the title "slickfingered", as she's a bit of a kender at heart herself. I sat and watched as she completely unbottoned her boyfriend's shirt as he sat obliviously at his computer. She then began loosening and removing his belt, but decided that might be a little indecent. He didn't notice until she brought it to his attention. She has been able to do this for years. Her current record is 37 buttons in 30 minutes at a party. While drunk. She managed to unbotton 5 different men's shirts without a single one noticing in that time. Apparently it's a great party trick. (DISCLAIMER: Don't try this at home, kids. Some people don't react kindly to being undressed in public.)
So my point here is that a properly trained and practiced kender, especially considering this is a fantasy game, could quite possibly have the ability (at high levels) to snag that mob's hat, coat, or whatever else, right out from under his nose. It would probably work quite a bit like illusion except that the removed item would be added to the kender's inventory instead of dropping to the floor. Anyway, that's all for me. Told ya it was silly! But it gave me an excuse to tell a funny story, too.
*refers you to signature*
Just ignore me...
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

I'd love to see, a la MacHall, being able to steal pants. Nothing else, just pants.
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

But then where would anakin live? :D
So this is a plot to kill anakin.... ok i'm in :twisted:

And on the more serious side i agree with leiland granted some eq like shoes (if they are standing) is a little hard to do, but overall a hat/belt/etc could easily been taken off. And also as with illusion even though you got the equipment the mob still noticed and attacked you.
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

I'm just wondering what Kiri has against pants. What did pants ever do to her?
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

I just don't like them and rarely wear them, at home at least.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Since this thread has been rejuvinated...
I agree with Leiland on this. Kender steal should be much more useful than it is. The race should not be nearly as powerful fighters as they are, but the thieving skills should be boosted. Kender are thieves NOT fighters. Oops, did I say thieves? I meant borrowers.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I can't imagine kenders getting weaker. IMO, they rely on their backstab a lot and if it misses, they are screwed. I don't see Kenders are fighters in the first place. I never see where they could fit in the Realms. They can steal, sure but it rarely works (for me atleast). I haven't seen a locked chest or door that can be picked and I'm really getting dissappointed.

So all in all, what's the real use of Kenders?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I have always been amazed by the power of kender. I am surprised that no one seems to agree with me. I can avatar a kender almost as fast as an elf (for the most part--avians and humans being among the hardest to level). Taint works often enough and does more than enough damage to make up for the few misses. In my opinion, taint is super powerful. Backstab is unbelievably powerful. They get disarm in guild...why? Dirtkick seems next to useless, but is cute for a little extra tickle now and then. Circle works as a modified and more powerful "rescue". Backstabbing does not really seem like the work of the happy-go-lucky race. Pickpocketing is second nature to a kender, often doing it without thinking. They can steal the beard off of a sober dwarf. If you have ever read the books, then you will see that kender like to go sit down by themselves after a long day and see what items they have "acquired". Regardless of the disputed extreme power of kender, they are built like fighters and not like kender. I really would like to see them more like they are supposed to be. They do not charge into battle like tiny berzerkers. They are not evil little assassins. They pick pockets and play pranks.

On a side note: Kender should have a new skill, "Kender Insult". I'll give a description in a seperate post.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

It was rejuvinated in the name of pants, not Kender. Stupid threadjackers...
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
Ginzor

Post by Ginzor »

It's should be hard to steal a hammer thats all I have to say, imagine stealing a huge hammer froma dwarf when he is awake. :lol:
This is again what I always tried to do in Fallout 2 all the tiime, you rarely succeded to steal such huge things even with the skill of 300% (highest possible).
I am positive to a good coded steal system.
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength - George Orwell
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

If we rewrote kender, that would be an interesting idea to start with.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

I'd like to see kender getting experience for using their thieving abilities... (and yes, revamping steal would be neat... stealing equipped objects and making certain types of items easier or harder to steal, based on the type of item, would be especially neat).
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

totally
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

exp for using thieving abilities would be neat, but if we do that we should give druids exp for healing, ill exp for illusion, elves exp for teleporting....besides, kender are already really easy to level, i don't think we need to make them easier
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

That's why you take away some of kender fighting ability. They aren't fighters. They are thieves. I mean borrowers.