steal

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

disaster wrote:exp for using thieving abilities would be neat, but if we do that we should give druids exp for healing, ill exp for illusion, elves exp for teleporting....besides, kender are already really easy to level, i don't think we need to make them easier
Actually....

XP for successful thieving - Yes
XP for successful Offensive Psionic Spell Casting - Yes
XP for successful healing in combat - Yes
XP for successful damage by spells - Yes

I'm sure there are others.

We're not talking a lot of XP here, but I see no problem with that theory.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

Stars wrote:That's why you take away some of kender fighting ability. They aren't fighters. They are thieves. I mean borrowers.

I was expecting that. Stars is predictable.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

:P
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

Stars wrote:That's why you take away some of kender fighting ability. They aren't fighters. They are thieves. I mean borrowers.
granted they aren't the best head to head fighters. But they are great at exploiting weaknesses to their own advantage. Ie. Backstab. Don't forget about a thief being agile and quick But yeah the idea of gaining xp for successful thief skills sounds great. Maybe along with steal, there's a mug skill too? cause who hasn't known a thief to try and take a little money too. And i'm confused what does using steal consume? Like mv points? or is it just on a timer? or what?
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i just think that would be an easily abusable system db. would players get exp for using those skills regardless of the level of mob they are fighting? maybe if those skills could only give exp up to a certain point, say 1/2 of the way to the next level but not for the second half? if we do allow that, we should probably increase the exp needed to level slightly as well.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Solomnius

Post by Solomnius »

while we are talking about kenders - i can't for the life of me remember ever casting "detect_trap" or "disarm_trap".....
Kenders get disarm trap at level 50 - i think that should be lowered (i know i should prolly post this in area building but it fits in here)
New areas should have a pickable chest or 2 with some KILLER traps!!
Someone could go around the existing areas and add traps to a lot of the chests *shrug* - otherwise the spells/skills are useless - almost like word of recall.
On the adding exp thing - if you add exp to one race's skills/spells, you have to add it to all the race's - i have a feeling it would take ALOT of code work to accomplish this and i personally would rather slart work on more important code (ie mob summon/teleport - move/push/switch - and the new continent)
although, if we have 100 coders and heaps of time then yes i'm all for it.
Respect!
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i think that teh main reason detect traps and disarm traps receive so little attention is that traps don't work in the first place. at least, they didn't last time i checked, they may have been fixed without me noticing them *shrug*
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Once again... traps only work if it's an offensive spell that's on them, and then you'll usually not even notice, because it doesn't send a message (on-screen) to the character, and it only works when the item's been closed and re-opened. (So, leaving the pack open, which has no negative side effects will prevent the spell from going off again.) After this point, detect_trap and disarm_trap are probably the two skills with the least intuitive setup for using in the entire game, and gotten so late that there's a reason no one ever uses them. If we want them to be used, we need to make the traps nastier or more plentiful.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

or nastier AND more plentiful *evil grin*
RadicalEd

Post by RadicalEd »

disaster wrote:or nastier AND more plentiful *evil grin*
Very interesting, that could induce some fun along with some anguish.... i like it!
"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

Rad
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I'm all for making Kender more like thieves. Fixing nasty traps on chests and doors would be FANTASTIC. Disarm_trap and detect_trap would be become much more useful. Yes, let kenders learn these skills at a lower level. The suggestions here are probably the best I've heard for any existing race.

If we have to use the name Kender, then let's have it make sense. ;)
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

Once and for all the Kender race makes as much sense as any other race. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean a thing. Not everyone is going to be pleased with everything that is done. If you don’t like the way the race is, then at least just make positive suggestions about what the race could use. Please stop writing derogatory comments about the kender race every time you write about it. This has been hashed before, so please try to be less derogatory.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Wow.

And here I thought I was making positive suggestions. Even when I agree with other people, it somehow comes out negatively. I can't win.
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

Stars wrote:I'm all for making Kender more like thieves. Fixing nasty traps on chests and doors would be FANTASTIC. Disarm_trap and detect_trap would be become much more useful. Yes, let kenders learn these skills at a lower level. The suggestions here are probably the best I've heard for any existing race.
The above statement is a positive statment.
Stars wrote:If we have to use the name Kender, then let's have it make sense. ;)
This statement is what I am talking about. I can understand a statement like this if made before this issue had been hashed out. But after you know the sensitivity of the topic you still have to dig and dig at people's nerves. It is just obnoxious.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Comatsose wrote:I can understand a statement like this if made before this issue had been hashed out. But after you know the sensitivity of the topic you still have to dig and dig at people's nerves. It is just obnoxious.
I admit that I did not know the extent of your sensitivity, Comatose. Let's face it, kender is not an original name. No big deal, though. I'm a big boy. I'll get over it. It's been made clear that the kender name will stay. And so, if kender we must have, then kender they should be. I don't think that by saying this, I am making a "derogatory" statement. If you have read the DragonLance books, then you know what a real kender is like. They don't run around stabbing everything in the back. They do have many other thieving abilities. In fact, their whole lives are based around "borrowing" or "finding" any shiny, interesting object that lies within a 100 mile radius.
Comatose wrote:Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean a thing.
I know it's hard to believe, but other people share at least part of my view of kenders around here. If it weren't so, then I wouldn't have anyone to agree with, and then you wouldn't be complaining about it. If my opinion is meaningless, then perhaps you might consider the opinions of these other people. Or, are they just as meaningless to you?

I really like the idea of kenders from the books. The idea of playing one (once I'm past the brief twinge of uncertainty over the name) is appealing to me. The whole reason why people are making these suggestions is to improve the game we play. I realize that not everyone will agree with everything I say. But how will I ever know that unless I say it in the first place?

I don't know what your personal attachment to our current version of kenders is, but you do take criticism of the race rather personally. Don't. I'm not calling you an idiot because I think there could be improvements in the game we play.

Did I take a "cheap shot" with this statement?
Stars wrote:If we have to use the name Kender, then let's have it make sense. :wink:
Maybe, but if so, then it was meant to be a light-hearted jab. I know the results of our past conversations. I do not believe that anything has changed since then (about changing the name of kenders). Like I said, we're big boys. Life doesn't end here.