Character Accounts

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

disaster wrote:the biggest advantage that i can see is being able to do "note to $accountname". the personalization thing could be handy in saving time for the imms i guess. possibly with an addition so they can add a personalization of $accountname#minimum level. that way, all characters in the account who are above a certain level could use the item. still, i think that by far the biggest advantage to the whole idea would be not having to check every one of my characters for notes all the time.
So next time you don't have to list all 20 of my characters? ;p
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

bah, that's YOUR fault. I can't help it that my computer doesn't believe in the internet and that i don't know which characters you're playing the most often right now ;P
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

If checking notes on all your characters is the problem might I recommend: "note change general;note list; note read <last note number in list>" as that will change all the unread notes to being read. Or, do what I do... check notes with one character, ignore all notes aside from personal on all the rest. (Since I don't generally get personal notes on any char except EB, this becomes an easy fix...)
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
AMystery

notes

Post by AMystery »

I suport this idea, it seems quite useful and friendly. I don't think of it in terms of personalization, although that could be a useful idea, but it would be better suited for several other things.

Character lists, so then you know who your characters are and can rotate through them, making the soon to be deleted list smaller because we all know who all of our characters are. I have lost several of them over the years because I can't remember their names. I have a few like that right now, I am just waiting for them to appear on the delete list so I know who they are.

Notes would be another nice side effect, i have all of my alts set to only personal notes, but I stil get the message that there are other notes waiting, but since I have already read them, i don't feel like doing anything extra to them on the alts. It would seem to simplify administration and newbie helping. You know if it is a new account or just an alt, very useful for heroes, sure, you should try to help every one, but knowing beforehand which will NEED the help would be very nice.

It just seems like this would make administering things easier, be better for players and in general just a GOOD THING (TM).

Downsides? some work adding another layer of abstraction to pfiles, but still not a particularly bad thing.
Oversoul

agree with DB and Amystery

Post by Oversoul »

I think the accounts would help keep characters in order...

forget the personalization. That's just too complicated.

I think this code would be highly useful for the sake of character listing and note forwarding.
-----Oversoul-----