Character Accounts

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Character Accounts

Post by Anakin »

I don't know how the codes work but this is just a suggestion.

We'll have accounts before we log in that is different from our characters. Under the account we can type "char list" to see our character's names, level, race, etc...

I think it also helps on the personalization of an item. Instead of personalizing it to a character, personalize it to the account.

Also, just an addition from the suggestion "If s/he is a newbie or not", we can also add it to hinfo like >>>HEY!!!: (New Account) blablabla

But like I said, I don't know how to code MUDs so I also don't know how hard this could be.
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

hmmm, I honestly don't know how code works either, but this sounds as though it would be a zmud thing, not a BR thing. However, in my own opinion even if it was doable I would not be in support of it. It would be way to easy to cheat then. Making personalized items for one character is there for a reason. If the imm wanted all your characters to use it they wouldn't personalize it. Mort sharing would be out of the question then since it would have to be on the account and heroes can't share accounts. I don't see it as having much gain. Sorry :(
*bounces around* Dev
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

The way I see it is like how the starsword works. Kiri adds you to a "list" of characters that can use your starsword.

Some heroes share characters (even their heroes). ;) But if you have an account, you could only log 1 account at a time (You can still play two characters at a time).

Again, this is just how I view it. If you win a quest, it should only stay as yours. I see other people sharing their quest items to others reason being "They have another, better item". IMO, that is cheaper than personalizing the item to only one account.

I don't know how the code works but I know this is doable. :)
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Slart

Post by Slart »

It is my own personal preference that personalized items continue to be personalized to just one character by default. Quest items and star swords are the exception, not the rule.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Not to belittle the idea, because I think I see where you're going with this, and it has merit, but, since we'd have to have a way to start a new "account" that would be free, and there's no way we can really enforce one account to each person (setting one per IP could and would get into some serious problems)... a lot of the things that you mentioned seem like people would simply circumvent them via making a new account.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Slart wrote:Quest items and star swords are the exception, not the rule.
That's what I meant by personalized items. Sorry if a misunderstanding about an item flagged 'personalized' is the one I'm referring too. *apologizes*
-Jerry Seinfeld
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

I object to the restrict by IP idea.

I play at an internet cafe and have gotten several of the people there to do so as well. Since they're all on one IP...

I'd rather not let everyone there have access to Lair.
--Lairian
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Exactly, but that's not really what I was getting at... I was saying having only one account per IP would underrepresent people, and prevent some from playing. Any case, it wouldn't be a good way to work things, in general.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i'm of the opinion that what you can't prevent you shouldn't make against the rules (except in very rare instances). since we couldn't go one account per ip, and since people could simply create seperate accounts, i don't see the value in this. what i could see as being reasonable instead is an addition to pfiles which would link characters together as belonging to the same individual. this would act like the previosly discussed (somewhere) note forwarding. you could set the notes from your characters to be forwarded to your one main character, adn from that character, could see which characters are currently forwarding notes to you. i don't think it's a real neccessity, but it sure would be handy for those of us with many characters, each of which receive notes on a regular basis. beyond that, i don't see what use such an idea could be.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

If this "account" you're talking about is just a centralized account login usable to manage the names of your character, why would you create more than one? If you do, who cares?

When this was first mentioned I envisioned the following:

Code: Select all

***BR GRAPHIC****
What is your account name or enter 0 for a new account: DB123
Enter the password for account DB123:
Welcome DB123, here are your characters:
Divebomb
Gillibipple
Rivan

Select the character would you like to play with today or enter a new name to start a new character: Divebomb
Enter password:
Do you support ANSI? .....
The idea was proposed as a way of managing personalization. If your profile was flagged with your account name (visible only to imms i would imagine), then an imm could flag the item with either the character name or the account name for personalize. So, if I personalize the item for Anakin, then only Anakin can use it. If Anakin's account name is Ana123, and i do "personalize item Ana123" then any character created under the account Ana123 would be able to use that item.

At least that's what I got out of it. Do I think it's worth it? *shrug*. I support the idea of personalizations being for a particular character, not a player, with a few minor exceptions. To be honest, I don't really care. I see benefits to the account management, but I know it would be significant work to implement.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

I can't reword it better than DB did.

I just realize, though, if this will ever be implemented, the way to put your characters in an account. The way we have it and the way we're gonna put them in accounts.

Btw, welcome back online, DB. :)
-Jerry Seinfeld
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Why not just keep a list of your own? I'm not sure why the mud should incorporate this.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

The only useful thing I see is for personalized quest prizes, and that isn't such a big deal. Yeah, waiting for an imm to personalize your starsword to one of your alts can be a little frustrating, but hardly a serious matter. I'm not against the idea. In fact, I think it would have some small conveniences. However, there may be other things that are more important for gameplay that should be addressed first.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

well it wouldn't work for that if it lists both mortals and heroes....
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

the biggest advantage that i can see is being able to do "note to $accountname". the personalization thing could be handy in saving time for the imms i guess. possibly with an addition so they can add a personalization of $accountname#minimum level. that way, all characters in the account who are above a certain level could use the item. still, i think that by far the biggest advantage to the whole idea would be not having to check every one of my characters for notes all the time.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".