see their pain

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Cord

Post by Cord »

Well, adding multiple damp levels doesn't do anything to remove the mystery, just expands on it.

Personally, I'm all for that idea.
Cord

Post by Cord »

Actually, now that I think about it, having only one customize-able damp seems right. Let's leave well enough alone there.

What I'd suggest instead is more default damp messages above discomb. Ideally, the customized damp would only show up for damage dealt by your average, -1000 allign, fully-equiped demon.

Until then, other default messages as you progressively get closer to that high mark. I.e. annhiliates, decimates, etc.

Me thinks this would be pretty cool. *nod self*
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

I dunno...I liked getting my personalized damage message at 40 after 10 levels of discombobs. Then again I'm a fashion whore and like customization of any sort.
--Lairian
Cord

Post by Cord »

Well, when the damp kicks would certainly be open to discussion, and lower may be better, but I'd argue that a player should have to wait until at _least_ level 130-140 before they start seeing the custom damp message. And having more default messages between that and discomb would alleviate some of that damage-message monotony you mention.
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

so what about ppl with damroll of 1500 at lvl 50? you deny them their damp messages? I thinks not. . .
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

You realize that's an average of above 100 damroll a slot, right?
--Lairian
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "1500" is a typo.

"1500" is a typo. Maybe he meant 150?
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

hitroll/damroll and no it wasn't a typo 1500
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

I'm going to assume this involves a whole lot of gross quest prizes stacked up on one character...
--Lairian
Cord

Post by Cord »

Well, almost by definition, there are exceptions to any generalization.

;-)
Slart

Post by Slart »

Lairian wrote:I'm going to assume this involves a whole lot of gross quest prizes stacked up on one character...
I'm not. How the hell does a player get a 1500 damroll at level 50?
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

actually slart, i believe the question is "how does a character without an immortal alt manage to get a 1500 damroll at level 50 but at the same time 1) escape the attention of Slart and any other interested parties and 2) avoid being jailed/deleted/banned as punishment for such a seemingly flagrant disregard for all that is holy and right in the realms"
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

and as for mystery and such, i think multiple damp/dams levels would add a great deal of mystery to the whole damage process, and would be a hell of alot of fun to boot. i mean, i still get laughs and giggles every time somebody new complains "how did i die, he missed every hit" *grin* just imagine how fun it would be to mix your multiple damp levels around every now and then, to keep people on thier toes. i don't agree that only 130+ demon avatars should see damps though. first of all, tgames swords aside, kenders bs do WAY more damage than your average demon hit, especially against a sleeping mob. much, MUCH more importantly though, as has been put in just about every related help file i can think of, when you reach level 51, you have "beaten the game". hero levels are fun, but they were and still are basicly a means to give a bunch of bored heroes stuff to do while they sit around waiting for newbies. i think that a level 50/51 character with the appropriate eq, and much lower levels with really good eq, should be able ot damp, exactly as they now can. i just think that with higher damage, we should have a little bit more variety in how we express that damage to our good arena buddies ;)
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

sorry, don't mean to keep posting over and over, but i keep coming up with different things that i want to say. i had an idea earlier today, when we were talking about the new tgames swords being distributed and the corresponding drop in the interestingness of arena battles, being as how they depend basicly just on who attacks first and who was the last to log on to br. why not add either a few new arena rooms, or a new command option, a handicap to intentionally weaken the strength of ones hits. perhaps both, there are selling points for either option. either way, this would allow for much longer and more interesting arena battles, but without the need to remove all of our hard-earned quest eq, which is after all half of what arena battles are about in the first place. if it was implemented into a series of arena rooms (since if it can be done for one, it can be done for several) the players in that room would only do X% of their normal combat damage. we could have rooms for 90%, 80%, 50%, 10%, 2%, juts name it, you could choose the room to reflect the length of the fight you wanted, and go at it with all skills blazing until one of you eventually dies. if the handicap option was implemented, players would be able to face off against players who are a great distance away from them in terms of fighting ability. for a handicap system, i would like to see some sort of message (one not duplicatable with emote) appear stating the level to which a player sets his handicap, to ensure that players are unable to claim a worse handicap than they are actually using. ideally there would also be a note in a players pfile, readable by imms, stating the least-severe handicap that player has had since reaching level 2 (so they can still save normally) (this would also be affected by any group members with a less severe handicap, of course) which would give imms the ability to give individual quests such as "reach level 51 while doing only 50% of your normal damage" ok, sorry this was such a long post, i'm done now ;)
Cord

Post by Cord »

Nice ideas, Dis. I think I'm more a fan of the rooms with % decreases idea, as for some reason I think it'd be easier to implement.

But set-able handicaps would be quite spiffy also.