Dangerous question

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Lairian

Dangerous question

Post by Lairian »

At the risk of horribly offending a lot of people out there, and getting some really dirty looks...

Is going above your maximum hit points with various spells (quivering palm, energy drain) a bug? I ask because the code blatantly doesn't like it, as I'm sure anyone who's been healed can attest...which means that either losing the hit points when healed is a bug, or going above max is a bug, yes?

I know a lot of avatar challenge mobs are taken out sheerly by a matter of "hit point stacking", but really, is "challenge" supposed to mean "requires you to steal the souls of a thousand sheep and hobgoblins before doing"? It's one thing to make a mob hard, it's another to cause players to run hit point farming bots...
--Lairian
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

One thing, I pity whoever stacks hp on killing an avatar mob. It's faster to go head on than getting 2mil hp. Seriously... I don't see why people don't believe it. But then, my first real plan is stacking, before someone taught me about this. :)
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Slart

Post by Slart »

Hit point farming bots? You have got to be kidding me. Are we going to have to have the mud ask a challenge question every thirty seconds to get people to actually PLAY THE FREAKING GAME?

I can't do this. I can't even talk about this without using words that are inappropriate for this forum. I am just not in the right frame of mind for dealing with this crap. All I get is angrier and angrier. I hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it.

You know what? For a long time I have argued that this sort of behavior only harmed the people who indulged themselves in it. I said that if people thought they wanted to have fun that way, hell, why shouldn't they? I can see, though, that I have been wrong about this. It clearly creates an environment of mixed messages, widespread resentment, and bad game balance. I just don't know what to do about it now. I am so, so, so tired of fighting with people. They wonder why they can't get their favorite feature of the week added while they exploit an unreported bug with their mort -- and then make a snide crack about it on the mud or on the forum. What's the point? I could spend the rest of my life just shutting down cheats and exploits with little to no effect. *sigh*

This is the second time I've gone off today, which probably means I should shut up before I say something (else) I'll regret. I'd just like to point out that, for the record, I bear no ill will toward Stars or Lairian, and they are absolutely not intended to be the targets of my venting. I apologize profusely to both of them if it seems like I was yelling at them personally. I was not.
xorex

Post by xorex »

Well, is making a bot much worse than reducing everything to one alias that you just enter over and over again? and is that much worse than just typing the same ten commands over and over again? i guess i'm not a fan of challenges which only test your ability to sit still without thinking for an extended period of time...
--Xorex
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

So, what about Lairian's questions?
*give's Lairian a dirty look just for spite* (Don't be afraid to ask a question! It is far better to ask than to assume.)
I have hp stacked many times, but I have never used aliases to move and to fight (other than windzone or ultrablast).
I just figured it was best to do it that way so that I don't spam everyone.

Anyone with a brain knows that using a "bot" is wrong. When you do it, you are violating the very nature of this game (you know...playing). I'm all for instant freezing and possible denial if someone is caught.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.