Lightning Consequences

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Lightning Consequences

Post by Anakin »

Just a suggestion from your Waterboy fanatic:

Make lightning more crucial and have it destroy a piece of eq and/or hit like a breath spell and destroy one of your inventory items. It still has the stun and -hp effect but just making it more damaging.
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

That's evil.. lightning as it is is still pretty sucky.
Cord

Post by Cord »

*nods* Specially that first strike experienced...
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

I agree that lightning certainly needs more umph, but destroying items only really makes more work for Slart since people would complain until it couldn't be used in the arena.

I think the best thing for it would be to increase its stun to something noticable. Then agian, this means that almost every elf would have an attack pattern of "c lig; c fire; c fire; c fire" repeating over and over. Which again would be just as quickly compained against for arena purposes.

The reasoning behind my desire for a stun for elves would be that they completely lack one. Granted, I have not studied most of the slists with close detail, but I know that dwarves and kender can trip and disarm, as avians can use their tails. Fighting a mob isn't the bad part, it's the mob's spec_whatever that really determines the fight. If the mob decides he's going to disarm and then just throw out a trip every round he's able, elves, and I'd imagine druids and illithids, are dead already. This is not to discount how bad other races have it when chainstunned, but the melee on a "caster" is usually fairly pitiful. Within BR, the only way to avoid the stun on trips and disarms is to not have it happen. This means flying and not using weapons. Granted, the first isn't hard at all, but most of the equipment with potent stats are weapons, so to give up weapons actually hurts a significant amount, though not nearly so much as dying because you're stunned for over ten rounds as the mob "times" its disarms perfectly. The only alternative way to prevent these stuns is to land your own stun first.

Anyway, long babble that's really only partially based on the topic at hand, but I think a good stun would definitely make lightning worth using, despite lower damage potential without needing to make it a spell that does not function in the arena.
--Lairian
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

Lairian, the idea seems good, but I think Anakin is talking about random lightning strikes not a spell. In any case, I have only been hit 2 or 3 times. It is quite a shock when it happens. No pun intended. :roll:
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Best time ever was standing in the room with Kiri, Faustus, and i think Everybody and Faustus got nailed by lightning and about 15 seconds later, Kiri got nailed too.

I almost fell out of my chair. :lol:
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

:shock: *blink* :shock:
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

If I was there, I don't remember that particularly, sorry.
I'd like to see weather have more in-game effects (which we talked about elsewhere), but I don't think that getting struck by lightning in particular needs to be ramped up, by any means - it already sucks enough to kill you, why make people complain about lost eq while we're at it?
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

Recant statement then, though I still hold it to be true. ^-^'''

Not nearly so bad as a friend of mine that got hit 3 times before she was level 10.

She almost quit over that (though she quit later when her life became hectic anyway). I really don't think that we need to increase the odds and affects of a random thing that's bad enough to really frustrate people.

We told her if she got a rename ticket she should ask for rubber shoes...
--Lairian
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

maybe the lightning could be made more threatening in the continent only. that would be one way to make it more challenging
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I'm with Everybody on this one. Lightning is already very nasty. I was struck by lightning around level 148 when I was trying to avatar with 0 deaths. Luckily, I was saved from death (which didn't matter because I went on to die anyway ;)). Instead of worrying about what already works, we should concentrate on the other effects of weather.

Here are some things people have suggested.

http://www.barrenrealmsmud.com/forum/vi ... c&start=30
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

you know you play BR too much when....you put a link in teh forums, to the forums
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Hey, you put that in the wrong forum! It should've gone here.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Cute, EB. You know...this is another place I saw the lightningconversation.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

hehehe i'm going to refuse to click on those links, just out of principle ;)