HP stacking

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Lairian

HP stacking

Post by Lairian »

If you stack hit points, and get healed, they all go away.

Is healing removing those stacked hit points a bug, or is the stacking itself a bug?

I know I've already asked, but the topic went into something else before anyone answered.
--Lairian
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I do not know which one is a bug, if either of them are.

I'm just curious why you chose code suggestions for this post.
:wink:
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Neither's really a bug, they just happen to interact in an odd way, taking slightly different perspectives on how, exactly, your hps work... Hp stacking isn't a bug because energy drain is designed to give you hit points whether or not it goes past your max allowed hps. Stacking works because avatars bother to take the time to set up aliases to drain far beyond their normal hps - if anything, it's this action that's buggy, and there's probably not much we could do to hinder this (make energy drain not go beyond your max hps, but, that seems rather like overkill to me). Heal spells look at it the other way: your max hps are all you could possibly ever have, so if you're at or above your max, a heal spell takes you to your max. Now, there could also be a logical bug in here, but I'd say that we'd leave it in, anyways, a random heal spell being the price you sometimes have to pay for stacking all those hps.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

How does this apply if you lose an eq and your hp goes back to the max?
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Also working like it's supposed to... otherwise when you remove +hp eq the excess hp from the item would sit above your max... could be easily abused for a fair amount of extra hps while you sit with better fighting eq behind it.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Stars wrote:I do not know which one is a bug, if either of them are.

Because if it's a bug, his suggestion is to fix it.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

is many D&D-type/D&D-based games healing spells also do damage to undead. i don't think thye should in BR, but i do think that good healing magic should interact in a bad way with the evil energy drain magic, resulting in hp being knocked back to a reasonable level
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Divebomb wrote:
Stars wrote:I do not know which one is a bug, if either of them are.

Because if it's a bug, his suggestion is to fix it.
It is also a hero ability...and yes I know mortals can do it too. Of course, it would take them a loooooong time to gain a couple million hp. I am fairly certain that this was posted in regards to avatars killing monster mobs. Regardless, since mortals can technically do it I suppose we aren't giving anything away. It just seemed strange to see what seemed like a hero subject in code suggestions.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Faustus

Post by Faustus »

Well, to propose a happy meadium between to the two extremes of "stacked HP's is a bug" and "stacked HP's is a feature," why not code it so that you can use spells to boost your HP's over their max ammount, but have any extra hit points deteriorate every tick. The ammount they deteriorate each round could be based on how far over the maximum ammount they are. That way, heroes and avatars can pump themselves up for big fights, but have only a small window to make use of those extra hit points.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I like it. It would circumvent the ANNOYING and ILLOGICAL alignment affect of energy drain.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

no, it's a completely logical and not the least bit annoying affect! sucking the life force from a target is an indredibly evil action, and carries the same penalty as you would get for killing a good mob. that affect should deffinately stay as is.

i would love to see a mortal human get 1mil hp with quivering palm some time, and go around killing the "challange mobs" with laughing buddha ;)
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

I'd agree with Faustus on this, and I'd like to put forward the idea that if your hit points are more than the max, they drop by the amount that you would heal. This idea comes from, I admit, my interpretation that constitution increases hit point recovery, and thus metabolism, and that the body seeks to take a set form. Thus, a fast metabolism will power through an affect, positive or negative, more quickly than a poor one. This can be seen with natural healing (fast metabolism people not only don't get fat, they get over disease faster and heal up faster...so not fair, but I digress).

The other reason I suggest this is that it means after we institute a check every tick (if %h > %H), then it's easy just to throw in a multiplication by -1 to healing per tick. If you don't understand this statement, log into the mud and type "help prompt".
--Lairian
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i'm not in favor of it decreasing by the same amount as a normal tick of healing, because that would be ripping off the morts and doing nothing to the heroes. i figure if a mortal is patient and careful enough to gain hp this way, all the power to them. personally, i don't see any need at all to change how it works currently, builders wanting players to not be able to use the boosting trick can juts but a protected healer there, that takes care of it very nicely. if it IS going to be changed though, i'd like to see it only change for heroes
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

INCONSISTANT is another applicable word for the alignment affect of energy drain.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Stars wrote:INCONSISTANT is another applicable word for the alignment affect of energy drain.
Well if you're going to make it big and bold and annoying yourself, then i'll just inform you that the word is "inconsistent".
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw