anti-holylight

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Stars
Mud Addict

anti-holylight

Post by Stars »

Let's give builders the option to neutralize the advantage heroes have with holylight. I think hero areas would be much more fun if heroes were unable to use it.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

instead of this, lets make it so that you only get a fraction of the exp you'd normally get if using holylight (the exact fraction i don't know, maybe 3/4 ish?). i don't think builders should be able to control that, since it's a well deserved reward for heroing, but it would be interesting if there was some sort of a drawback to using it
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Is this something we need for the continent?
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

We may not need it, but it might make some areas more fun and challenging for heroes. I think there are other things that should be done first. But, if this is easy, then I say go for it. :)
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Orrrrrr how about you can turn off YOUR holylight and leave ours alone. :p

Seriously, I don't see any more incentive on being a hero and now you're taking another one away? :(
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

ORRRRRRRRRRRRR

Have holylight only affect the visibility of players rather than players and mobs. Isn't the real point so heros can see hidden and invisible players?
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

Divebomb wrote:ORRRRRRRRRRRRR

Have holylight only affect the visibility of players rather than players and mobs. Isn't the real point so heros can see hidden and invisible players?
I like this.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Divebomb wrote:ORRRRRRRRRRRRR

I don't know what the point of holylight is but I like it as it is now. :/
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Holylight lets you see anything that is hidden or invisible, including mobs, objects and players. I was suggesting that certain areas have some sort of anti-holylight thing to make it more interesting to heroes. That way, little puzzles will actually be puzzles. Divebomb was suggesting that holylight be changed so that only players are visible to heroes. I'm ok with that, but I would prefer it to be left up to the builder.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

If this were to happen, I would want it to be area-specific. I don't want to punish heroes or take away their current skills.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

taking away holylight from heroes could be interesting, but i'm not sure it would be worth the effort. those heroes would then have to go looking for detectinvis and detecthidden items, with the result that those items would be harder to get for the mortals. i know how ticked off i get if i see heroes competing with mortals for red pills, i'm sure competing with morts for binoculars would be just as annoying if not more so. as for avatars, it wouldn't change anything important since they have vision anyways. one extra command to type every 151 hours of mud time, that's all it would add for avatars.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Joysinger
Avid Player

Post by Joysinger »

*points out that chartreuse potions also cast detect invis and are buyable in DD*

aside from that, i think it wouldn't be a bad thing if holylight wouldn't work on the continent.
*Unicorn hoofprint sparkling from glittering faerie-dust*
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Correction: chartreuse potions cast detect hidden. And, of course, you can buy yellows from the magician in Valence or Calathar if you need to detect invis.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Joysinger
Avid Player

Post by Joysinger »

that's what i meant. of course. stupid me. :)
*Unicorn hoofprint sparkling from glittering faerie-dust*
AMystery

holylight

Post by AMystery »

Assuming we make CRs significantly more rare on the continent than normal, removing holylight wouldn't be a huge problem, but I would rather see it as a room flag than as an area flag.

Do we even have working area flags? climate is the only one I know of and it doesn't work.

I am a bit worried about the usefulness of heroes if they couldn't see something in a room. Could we have a command that enables it temporarily in a room. So that normally they wouldn't have it, without running that command in every room, but while doing a CR or some other useful task they could turn it on? Yeah, that could be abused, but that would just make it like it is currently, ones that want the experience will use it like it is intended.