Storage

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Anavrinman

Storage

Post by Anavrinman »

I don't know if this item has been addressed before (pretty sure), or even if it's been instituted, but I think there should be some kind of storage facility, kinda like the bank in Calathar, except you store items. I can think of a bunch of different reasons not to do it, but I think it would be helpful in that I would only have to carry items that I would be using for certain tasks. I look in my pack and I have so much stuff in there that I want to keep for later levels and to save for other characters when they level, that it's hard to find what I really need. Also, I wouldn't have to worry about losing this equipment when I die. Just a thought.
Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease...
Hobo Nick
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

I think the main reason why it is not such a good idea is that all items are easy to get again. The only unique things would be quest prizes. Our mudd doesn't really have unique items otherwise. I have a storage character. *shrugs* I think alot of us do that instead.
*bounces around* Dev
Anavrinman

Storage

Post by Anavrinman »

Your ability to get equipment may be far superior to mine then. It really is a tremendous problem for me, seeing as many times I can't kill the mobs that carry the equipment (yes, this is equipment that I can wear). A storage char may not be a bad idea, but I still like the idea of having a set location for that. Maybe it's just me.
Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease...
Hobo Nick
Teach

Post by Teach »

I think this idea came up before, and the general consensus was that it would be too much hassle to code, and that if you want somewhere to store your extra gear to make a mule. I personally don't like the idea of using a mule, but it's what policy has been set to.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Making a certain bank for items is not such a bad idea (especially with T-Games 3). I'm getting tired of holding items for my teammates! *ppppbbbt*
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

It's been rejected more times than it's been suggested...
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

Magic 8 ball says try asking again when code goes in such that you can only have 2 characters on if they're within 10 levels of each other.

I think you'll find more support then. ^_^
--Lairian
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Lairian wrote:Magic 8 ball says try asking again when code goes in such that you can only have 2 characters on if they're within 10 levels of each other.

I think you'll find more support then. ^_^
Why? Storage would be by character. If NewbieLevel8 goes to storage and puts crap in, then LeetMudder50 can't access it even if they're the same person. So, what difference does it make if it's on the character or in a "storage" area?

I doubt the establishment of some kind of account manager for your characters is going to happen, that would make storage sharing possible.

"Storage" takes up hard drive space. I don't know what our quota is, but there are plenty of people who stockpile stuff they should and should not. Some people have collections that you wouldn't believe, other people just collect random garbage or excessive amounts of things to prepare for their next character. I can't comment on how important saving this space is to us because I don't know.
- George Bernard Shaw
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

*gathers all his chocolate hearts* MINE! ALL MINE!

Love the names, DB. Now I know who those kids making purdy names like that. Image
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

I support the storage idea. Yep, that's me: storage idea = stars' support.
If rl storage is the issue, then I suppose it can't be done. Too bad, because I think it would make many people happy, and would present no harmful problems to the balance of the mud as far as I can see. Should I buy another harddrive for you guys? Would that help? Forgive my ignorance about such things.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

Storage would be by character. If NewbieLevel8 goes to storage and puts crap in, then LeetMudder50 can't access it even if they're the same person.
Of course. However, there isn't a huge need for storage when there are mules. When mules evaporate due to code changes, there'll be a much larger push for storage.
--Lairian
Cord

Post by Cord »

I don't see why. Just log in your "mule", drop stuff in a semi-private location, log in your other character, and get the stuff. To me, this all requires very little effort and coding storage containers into the game seems like it would largely be a waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere. *shrugs*
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Cord wrote:I don't see why. Just log in your "mule", drop stuff in a semi-private location, log in your other character, and get the stuff. To me, this all requires very little effort and coding storage containers into the game seems like it would largely be a waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere. *shrugs*
^^^
- George Bernard Shaw
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

if you're REALLY paranoid about your stuff somehow melting or being picked up by a mob you can't kill, give it to a trainee or a smurf instead of juts dropping it, then kill it with the other character and get it back that way.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

...no... :D