Looking.

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Lairian

Looking.

Post by Lairian »

It would be nice if you could look at items in containers and on other people. That way we could admire quest prizes of other people, or just have an excuse to be rooting about other people's clothing.

Random idle thought, I have no idea how valid this idea is codewise, or even if it's been covered before.

Possably to keep things easy to find, we might need to make it directed (Look Orb Backpack, Look Panties Kiri, etc).
--Lairian
DevilsAngel

Post by DevilsAngel »

Rofl!! I must say that your Example choices were quit amusing. I like this idea...though I have no clue codewise if it could work. How would you know what was in the pack though? Isn't that where we hide all our secret goodies?
*bounces around* Dev
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i love hte idea, but it's probably 1)very difficult to code and 2)very low on the priority list. the "look" code is already strange enough to not allow "look 2.item" in out inventories, that imo should be the firts priority to change when/if the look code is changed.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

The idea of using look pack was more for spam than anything else...as it stands, if you want to see if you put your chocolate heart, your restore ticket, or your lucky boxers in your bag or your rucksack, you have to look through everything in the container. It would be nice to be able to Look Boxers Pants, and see either "Pastel blue boxers with tiny pink butterflies" or "You do not see that here", and know whether or not you need to get them out, or look elsewhere for them.

I know there are people out there that would rather chew ground glass while asking AMy for help than look in their bag/backpack and have to admit to themselves that they need to clean it out.
--Lairian
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i just keep about 4-5 renamed packs and make sure to have things sorted well. when that fails, i usually just make another hero and use that character to hold a certain type of item. *shrug*
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

look 2.item does work. sort of. The problem is that extra descriptions work on exact (case-unsensitive) matches, so what the mud sends back out to you claims that that isn't there (because 2.<item> isn't actually there... it's the second instance of <item>). The way to fix this would be to selectively filter out the #. before the keyword under certain circumstances (i.e. look, examine) so that the mud can accurately understand what to show you. Unfortunately, this gets compounded by extra descriptions on items (so if you look at 2.sword, the extra desc of "sword" on your weapon that has only a name of "blade" should show up, instead of the second sword in your inventory)... any case, it looks to me like something that's not that important (you can exa 2.item to see what's in it, at least), and would be a fairly large hassle to fix correctly.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

*nod* like i said, probably a real pain to fix. it's still very high up on my wish list though ;)
RAMMSHEiN

Post by RAMMSHEiN »

*peek-a-boo*
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

I don't really like this idea because it isn't very intuitive and just doesn't make sense, realistically, even in a fantasy world. I've never really seen it on other games, either. I just sounds nosy :)