Alignment

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

I think it's quite a big deal. Demons trying to keep their align set have a really easy time. Considering demons are a walk in the park for the most part, i think it's fair they have to work a little to do the most damage possible.

The change_align spec took a lot of the effect of alignment out of the game. However it's a good spec now that alignment change zaps equip immediately - so it shouldn't be pulled.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

*shrug* i like the current system primarily because it leaves low level mobs like sheep and hobgoblins available to low level players. the sheep are already greatly monopolized by demons, i don't think we need to add to the number of people making trips to ultima. if it is changed so that it only changes the sign of alignment this will only slightly affect avatars (due to energy drain), and barely affect heroes (since most of the hero eq is for any align anyways), but would serve as an annoyance for morts, which i think they already have plenty of especially with heroes and demons stealing their mobs all the time.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Except you leave out that it changes some aspects of gameplay. If alignment is harder to alter, it can change people's minds about what they fight and where they fight. If you want to be evil, you best stop fighting evil mobs all the time just because they're in the area you feel like going to 100 times. If you want to be good, you best stop fighting in the good areas constantly for the same reason.
- George Bernard Shaw
Croplin

Post by Croplin »

Exactly! And maybe in the future it may even be considered to have races where you have to decide if you want to be a Good or Evil person. (not only demons). As it is now there is no point planning this because its so easy to change the align.
in space no one can hear you scream
Teach

Post by Teach »

My opinion is that the mobs that can zap your alignment make really no sense. While it is a very interesting method to hinder (punish) people who have chosen an alignment, once you're tagged, you just have to hope you get tagged again, otherwise it means a good amount of time repairing your alignment just so you can use the gear again. Granted by the time you're fighting mobs that change alignment, you have the ability to mass-murder smaller things to fix your alignment, but I feel that the zapping is just silly by itself.
However, if it was treated as a different sort of curse, I wouldn't feel that way, since essentially that's what it is, a curse. However, I'm sure this sort of implementation would be much more difficult to implement, but it would make more sense. (Player is zapped, alignment is changed and locked until a remove curse can be cast).
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

"Affects align by X for Y hours" would probably be pretty cool. :) Means you have to get it dispelled or wait for it to wear off, because no matter how much you change your alignment by, it's still current_align - affected_align. Then you go to all that trouble and when the curse wears off, your align is probably too far in the other direction! :)
- George Bernard Shaw
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

zylzibax changes your alignment!

change alignment, which affects alignment by -2000 for 2000 hours

that could be either really bad, or really good. just imagine how strong a demon would be with -2000 or -3000 alignment. of course, with +2000 alignment a demon should actually heal things it's trying to attack... *shudder*
Croplin

Post by Croplin »

can the alignment actually change below (or over) 1000?
in space no one can hear you scream
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

disaster wrote:of course, with +2000 alignment a demon should actually heal things it's trying to attack... *shudder*
I like this idea. Now demons with killer flags have a purpose. ^,^;
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

disaster wrote:zylzibax changes your alignment!

change alignment, which affects alignment by -2000 for 2000 hours

that could be either really bad, or really good. just imagine how strong a demon would be with -2000 or -3000 alignment. of course, with +2000 alignment a demon should actually heal things it's trying to attack... *shudder*
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You cap it at the min (-1000) or max (1000) and it doesn't have to be the level of the mob it affects for. It can be a standardized amount like armor is.
- George Bernard Shaw
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

*grin* so say it affects align by -20. the range for align would then be -1000 to +980 until the spell wears off? if so i don't much like the idea, especially since it would mean demons couldn't use foul rites if affected by a +align. if instead it just gives a boost/drop to align but doesn't show up as an actual spell, that might work better.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

since it would mean demons couldn't use foul rites if affected by a +align
Awwwwwwwwwwwww. Might have to wait a few ticks til you can cast foul rites. *wipes away a tear*

*bonks Disaster on the head repeatedly* :evil:
- George Bernard Shaw
Sozz

Post by Sozz »

*snicker*
Sozz
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

*adds a few bonks*
*adds another bonk*
*bonks Divebomb just for fun*
*bonks everyone else*
*and another for Jenny and the wimp*

What have we learned here class?
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i'm all for a good bonking, though i must admit that i greatly prefer my bonks to come from a female source