Regeneration

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Would there be any other additional penalty to replace the one being taken away?
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

no
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

I was actually researching this for awhile. The idea was to phonetically recreate the sound of a drunk person (slurred speech, th for t and s, things like that) by changing the spelling of words. However I never was able to come up with a good list of all the changes in spelling that would be needed or a good example of printed "drunk speech".
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

When confronted with the idea of some alternative source for regeneration, one of the first objections was the lack of penalties that the new alternative might or might not impose upon the user. It was said that the system works fine the way it is. Why is there now talk of changing things around? If you want to alter the way alcohol works, and in such a way as to remove one of its penalties, then I suggest that alternative forms of enhancing regeneration should be considered again.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

The penalty is the same - slurred/jumbled speech. There is no increase or decrease of penalties, just a change in one of them to make it more realistic and fun.
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

My point was always that the way that drunken speech works right now is a jarring break of the suspension of disbelief that makes mudding so much fun. If a character is drunk on the mud, the effects should happen to that character. The movement penalty is a good example of this. The character will try to move in a direction but will instead go in another random direction. However, speech doesn't work this way. Speech is not slurred as if the character were drunk. Instead the letters are rearranged as if the person typing them is drunk. This is silly. I don't want to be reminded that the characters in BR don't really exist. I want to pretend that the characters themselves are drunk.

As for a penalty, well, anyone that knows about the channel history command (effectively everyone) can completely circumvent drunk speech, so there really is no penalty.
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

The penalty for me is walking while drunk. I hate trying to get around while drunk.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

I find that hilarious coming from an abstaining mormon!

hehe
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

That is pretty funny. :)
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Scavenger wrote:My point was always that the way that drunken speech works right now is a jarring break of the suspension of disbelief that makes mudding so much fun.
I don't want to be reminded that the characters in BR don't really exist.
If we want to make this "real", then let's add some real realism to alcohol. Instead of helping you regen, it actually reduces your stats. In real life, alcohol messes with the body's immune system, and does a great many other terrible things besides. If you drink too much, you die. Magic users should not be able to cast spells effectively while drunk. You take damage from banging into walls. Even when you are no longer drunk, you still suffer some discomfort, inhibiting your normal activities. Like many other drugs, the "good" feeling you get while under the influence is an illusion. The truth is, you are harming yourself when you drink in excess (get drunk).

There is almost nothing real about how alcohol works right now in Barren Realms. If jumbled speech is what gets you, Scavenger, then I'm at a loss as to how you can overlook the far more outrageous aspects of our system.
Scavenger wrote:As for a penalty, well, anyone that knows about the channel history command (effectively everyone) can completely circumvent drunk speech, so there really is no penalty.
The penalty has nothing to do with chat, or even say. Probably the greatest penalty comes from tells and group tells, making grouping difficult since the team is often split up because of a stumbling drunk.

My point is that other suggestions were rejected under the idea that they wouldn't have the penalties that alcohol has. If jumbled speech turns into easily decipherable slurs, then there is no point to having such a "penalty" in the first place. It would be the same as having people talk normally anyway. And so, we should look at other suggestions more closely now. (Even so, the argument that alternatives having too few penalties is flawed. we can give them as many penalties as we like, and make them as real as anything can be in a fantasy world.)
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

It's fantasy. We don't need mana to cast spells in real life either. Point is that drunkness makes a person slang the word and not spell it wrong.

If what you're saying is true, Stars, then alcohol should give dwarves and humans more incentive than magic users. Magic users should have meditate for faster mana regen (slower hp regen).
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

We don't need mana to cast spells in real life either.
You can cast spells in real life? Bastard! I'm jealous!

On the other hand, if I had mana, could I cast spells?
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Anakin wrote:It's fantasy. We don't need mana to cast spells in real life either. Point is that drunkness makes a person slang the word and not spell it wrong.

If what you're saying is true, Stars, then alcohol should give dwarves and humans more incentive than magic users. Magic users should have meditate for faster mana regen (slower hp regen).
That sounds good to me. :)
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

Umm, I never said that I wanted realism. In fact I said almost exactly the opposite. I said that I didn't want a break in my suspension of disbelief. I want less realism in BR. I don't want the real world to invade my BR experience. I want the little BR characters to do their thing while the real world does its thing somewhere where I can't see it. To that end, I can't see an artificial emulation of effects leaking in from the real world.
Solomnius

Post by Solomnius »

I have had a play around in MSword and have put together somehting that sounds pretty funny (DRUNK)
try this out yourself - open a story or email or something in word/notepad and replace the following in the entire document:

first replace 'tt' for 't'
then 't' for 'ch'
'hh' for 'h'
'LL' for 'L'
'L' for 'w'
's' for 'sh'
'mb' for 'm'

it leaves quite a few words intact but it can be worked on
HAVE A PLAY!!
Respect!