What do you want to see next?

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
kiri
Needs Help

What do you want to see next?

Post by kiri »

What, other than a new race, would you like to see next going into BR?
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

Can we bring up old subjects, because I'd really like to see the continent idea put to use.....
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

That's not really code, except for the parts that slart is working on. I will do it as soon as I have enough areas to start it.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

Edit: Stupidity sucks. Ignorance is not an excuse either.
Last edited by Anakin on Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
demeiz

Post by demeiz »

a new race-
i think thats its only fair you hear my mighty words

leothians(sounds like its spelled
these are human build but are coverd in scales and live in water
although they can go deep in water with out harm
they have to carry extra water with them becuase along with being thirsty they become dry them selves
they use magic wich is ice and water and they get this from an early level
but they cant go near fire this counts with fire enemys flaming weapons and hot places (e.g. deserts)

they can use normal weapons

and have slighty lower than normal strengh but slightly higher magic

what do yuo think
i can get it in more detail if you wish
"Such a mighty beard you have!"
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Guys -- I said OTHER THAN A NEW RACE
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

*Interactive environments (pull/push/speak/etc)
*Intelligent mobs (mobs that summon/teleport/track/spawn other mobs/run away more than a room and drip blood all over).
*Mobs that fight/use skills of a race - "classed mobs"
*Built in, highly complex quests (Fetishes are the only one we have)
*Objects that are enhanced/downgraded based on other objects
*New spells/reworking of original spells
*Area-based weather and effects thereof - good and bad
*Improved mob assistance AI
*Improved sneak detection and non-detection
*Modification of the balance of items across the entire game - this would require modifying existing areas, especially those where the author is no longer present
*Modification of regeneration techniques
*Modification of how grouping and balance in grouping is done (this probably cuts right down to the core of the fight code and may be virtually impossible)
*A team of people who create non-user-run quests (see my 3rd point) to keep constant change
*Modification of the influence of stats (str, int, etc)
*Altering existing objects to pertain to different races and/or sexes (race-oriented code for objects now exists, I'm suggesting employing it on existing items now). This will diversify the races drastically without new code.
*The complete removal of pass door from the game.

That's the top of my head...
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Luc

Post by Luc »

I dont think pass door should be removed. Myself and Joysinger had a conversation about this the other day, about how there should be some doors that passdoor does not work on, but that also brings up the point of if you die behind a locked door and the key is tough to get, without passdoor that could bring up some problems. The mystical Death Defeater potions really have made it so CR's are almost obsolete nowadays which I think is good.

By the way...my ideas:

I like the whole fetish thing the demon race has, and I think it would be really cool to see things like this for everyone...or heck make something maybe on a smaller scale then the Fetish, for each individual race.

Spells also should be reworked, I definatly agree.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

no one actually uses the fetishes, though.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Divebomb wrote:*Interactive environments (pull/push/speak/etc)

I'm ok with this

*Intelligent mobs (mobs that summon/teleport/track/spawn other mobs/run away more than a room and drip blood all over).

Ok

*Mobs that fight/use skills of a race - "classed mobs"

Don't we kinda have this through specs?

*Built in, highly complex quests (Fetishes are the only one we have)

Suggestions?

*Objects that are enhanced/downgraded based on other objects

Hmm, not sure what you mean by this

*New spells/reworking of original spells

suggestions are good

*Area-based weather and effects thereof - good and bad

I've wanted this for a while, the effects are the hard part

*Improved mob assistance AI

Such as?

*Improved sneak detection and non-detection

more info pleez

*Modification of the balance of items across the entire game - this would require modifying existing areas, especially those where the author is no longer present

I'm willing to do this if I had a better idea of what the rebalancing would include and how to do it

*Modification of regeneration techniques

how so?

*Modification of how grouping and balance in grouping is done (this probably cuts right down to the core of the fight code and may be virtually impossible)

how modified?

*A team of people who create non-user-run quests (see my 3rd point) to keep constant change

There might be a code addition for htis, but i'm not sure how to do it

*Modification of the influence of stats (str, int, etc)

how would you do that?

*Altering existing objects to pertain to different races and/or sexes (race-oriented code for objects now exists, I'm suggesting employing it on existing items now). This will diversify the races drastically without new code.

I've been ok for that for a while and believe we are going down that road

*The complete removal of pass door from the game.

I'm unsure about this one

That's the top of my head...
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

Since I think I generally know what Dive is pushing at for some of his suggestions, I'll answer in lieu of him (if I'm wrong on any of these points, please correct me).
Objects that are enhanced/downgraded based on other objects.
I believe he's suggesting item interaction. i.e. If I have x item it has certain stats; if I have y item it has certain, different stats; while if I have x item and y item, they both get bonuses (or penalties) because I have both of them. This could pertain only to wearing both items, to wearing one while the other is in inventory, having both in inventory, having one in the same room, etc.
Area-based weather and effects thereof - good and bad.
As far as effects go, I thought we had some rather good ideas in this forum (on the 2nd and 3rd pages of posts, mostly).
Improved mob assistance AI.
I believe he's asking for mobs to be smarter when assisting. I.e. they assist whichever side is nearer to their own alignment, or race (mob keywords), and are much less likely to assist against a farther away leveled person simply because they're very low on hps. Or, especially, that they may assist the pc at times instead of always against them (aside from guards).
Improved sneak detection and non-detection.
Pretty sure what he wants here is a detect sneak affect bit for mobs. Instead of forcing us to use certain specs that bypass sneak... and also fixing those specs so that they only see people who're sneaking if the mob has the detect sneak bit on it.
Modification of how grouping and balance in grouping is done.
I'm guessing he's referring to how xp is split/bonused because of setting up a group, and probably to how much easier it makes levelling when someone's in a group (the mobs don't rise to the challenge, so to say).
Modification of the influence of stats (str, int, etc).
I suggested several things in this topic that could work (apologies to those unable to see it). Additionally, AMy's suggestion (consistent suggestion) to increase the possible range of stats is a possibility here, as well.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Faustus

Post by Faustus »

There is some code floating around out there that Dive worked on a while ago to crate spec_kung_fu for mobs. It was approved a while ago, but I think things have gotten stalled along the way to getting things finalized. I'd like to see it finished, since I've got a completed area ready to go in once we get spec_kung_fu for mobs...
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

EB was pretty much accurate but I'll expand even further.
Objects that are enhanced/downgraded based on other objects.
Think Diablo 2 set items (most of you including Kiri have played it). The more pieces of a set you get, the better the bonuses are. On the flip side... if you use the "Postively charged earring" and the "Negatively charged earring" then you get a penalty for using two items that don't interact well. A penalty without an alignment restriction basically.
Improved mob assistance AI
Going even beyond what EB said... mobs should be able to be assigned to groups by a builder. For instance, the Demon Lord should have his group of Demon Minions that aid him regardless of anything else. Regardless of alignment, of level, of anything.

In general my suggestions on MOB AI improvements are to make the mobs act more like players in good and bad ways.
Improved sneak detection and non-detection.
I want more than just the extreme of "detect or not detect". I want chance for detect and I want it variable. The farmer shouldn't be able to detect at all. The ranger should be able to detect 98% of the time. The paladin should be able to detect maybe 45% of the time. Sneak should be dependent on level differences and skill of sneak and room flags (sneaking in dark should be easier than outside during the day). The skill % now solely relates to the ability to get the "sneak affect" and since sneak has no cost, getting it to work isn't much of a challenge.
Modification of how grouping and balance in grouping is done.
The problem with our grouping system is it requires you to be within 5 levels of each other... except 5 levels close is both difficult to come and difficult to merit. What I mean is sometimes it's hard to find people to group with... in a game like this, grouping is often desirious because it forms friendships and adds to the fun. Difficult to merit means there's a big difference between the abilities of a level 17 dwarf and a level 12 elf. The level 12 elf is virtually useless in that group. I don't have much in the way of suggestions on improving this.
Modification of the influence of stats (str, int, etc).
Again I agree with EB's cross-post. Stats need to start before 13 or they need to be more difficult to increase (maybe you get 1 stat point every 5 levels after the first and you have to choose on that level which stat to increase) and they need to have more influence. I don't see THAT much difference between a dex of 18 and a dex of 20. I don't see much difference between a str of 20 and a str of 22 besides what I can wield. Maybe this isn't the best suggestion, but it's something to be considered.

I'll clarify more later... work got dropped on my desk to be done ;)
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
demeiz

Post by demeiz »

mmmlet me think

maybe
more albilities
or
interactive areas
or
new races (i know thats not what you wanted to hear)
"Such a mighty beard you have!"
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I suggested a race too (See Kappa under Races) but it got shot down too Ghaleon, so we are both out on that count...

People have suggested classes and such in the past. Perhaps some version of this should be put in place? Though, also, looking at old ideas, abilities dependant on alignment (more so than now) might help. I believe there are "old elf suggesttions" lying about with different abilities for good/neutral/bad elfs. We might could apply this too all characters? Perhaps allow the ablities to change with alignment? Or have them fixed and most powerful at a chosen alignment?

In any case, I imagine this would be painful to impliment, but it something to get the gears turning... maybe... :?
"If you have a right to someone else's approval, then they do not have a right to their own opinions and values." - Dr. Thomas Sowell

http://ws6.blogspot.com