Review Process?

This is the place to discuss building questions, ideas, and suggestions.
Everybody
Needs Help

Review Process?

Post by Everybody »

I'm just wondering what the review process for new areas will be now that Scav has taken over. And I'm putting it here so that others can have access to the same info as me when we get some.

(Also, this is a shameless way of poking Scavenger into giving me vnums, which I need, for Yamanoha, which is now finished, since I know he checks on here at least occasionally, and the post won't randomly disappear or get blocked, unlike e-mails and notes. *nudge nudge*)
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
Bluestar
Mud Addict

Post by Bluestar »

and messages from other people ;)
~Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-
Joysinger
Avid Player

Post by Joysinger »

on an almost though not really related note, think we can make it so notes don't disappear if they're private unless you delete them manually? *hijack*
*Unicorn hoofprint sparkling from glittering faerie-dust*
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

So, with a remarkably dated reply to my own original post, the current process for area building goes something like this:

1) Talk to me about building an area. I will most likely approve any ideas that are not thematically way off of our target atmosphere (medieval fantasy).
2) I will point you to the br builder download (with a note about the proper version of java to use - see this topic), and the current builder's guide, both available from the website.
3) Don't feel discouraged by the size of the builder's guide, as the builder program will do 99% of what you want for you, as far as the details are concerned. The guide is there as a reference if you want to know about the nuts and bolts of the area format, as well as provide you with tips as to how to make your area more engaging, in the "Rules & Environment" and "Puzzles" segments.
4) Create the area. This is the hard, tiresome, long, but ultimately rewarding part. The best tip I have for getting through this is to try to produce something daily, even if it's only one description.
5) When you're stuck, talk to other builders. Whether it's a wording, thematic, or technical issue, one of us has probably run into something like it and can give you some insight. If not, we can help you work through it. Plus, the act of discussion tends to help keep people motivated, me included.
6) When it's done, talk to me and I'll get you vnums. Then use the builder to renumber the area quickly and conveniently.
7) Send me the area so I can look it over for balance and style. This usually will not take long, however in some cases, I will ask you to make revisions to improve flow, fix technical issues, or generally make the area the best it can be. Occasionally, this step will be repeated a few times.
8) We will discuss where to place it in the realms. You likely have something in mind, already, and we will try to work that in to the overarching flow of the mud. This step may wind up causing another small set of revisions, if you decide it necessary.
9) Between Scavenger and myself, we will get the area up in playtesting, to verify that it loads properly. For areas with complex setups, we will typically allow the original builder to verify that things are working as they intended.
10) We will boot the area into the mud, and let the fun commence.

Please feel free to comment with concerns or better systems for streamlining this process, I'd really like it to be as painless as possible. And I am always willing to discuss building for BR at any time, whether I seem busy or not, so feel free to catch me even if it's an idea.

As a separate note, I would love for more people to be building, even if it's small areas, or revisions. Yes, it's more work than it looks like, but it is rewarding to see people enjoy what you've created. As far as revisions are concerned, I have a number of areas that need it in particular; please talk to me with any interest on that front.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)