Colors!

This is the place to discuss building questions, ideas, and suggestions.
Stars
Mud Addict

Colors!

Post by Stars »

Is it possible to add colors in room descriptions, or any descriptions for that matter? If not, then it should be! Colors are our friends.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Slart

Post by Slart »

The answers to your questions are no and no.
Lairian

Post by Lairian »

That would quickly get abused and very annoying.
--Lairian
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Thank you Lairian for demonstrating EXACTLY why we say no to it.

*claps*
Nyteshade

Post by Nyteshade »

hehe I like it
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

The thing is...you have some control over that sort of thing. If an area has too many typos, or is just poorly written, then it is returned to the builder for improvements. Likewise, if colors run rampant, then it should be quickly rejected. The thought of abuse did indeed cross my mind before I sent this post. I just figured it would require little effort to keep the wild coloring under control. If it is done conservatively and tastefully, then it would be a wonderful addition to area building.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
Ginzor

Post by Ginzor »

The thought have crossed me and I have seen really nice improvements with color in different places but I have to say I don't think it would fit BR that good, we are already using all ANSII colors and that would make some controled addings quite silly.
Though colors can look real nice in different places like in orig RoD which has few colors all in all but some yellow color when things are glowing and so.
I say NO :P
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength - George Orwell
Scavenger
Site Admin

Post by Scavenger »

Area builders would be tempted to use it in ways where the descriptions wouldn't make sense without the color. So you would have to have a ANSI color-capable client in order to correctly play the game. I don't like the idea of requiring a color-capable client.
Image The Cardboard Tube Samurai!
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

That is a good point, Scavenger. I guess we could make it a rule not to create color-dependant descriptions. I know there would be a lot of rules here, since the fear of abuse is strong. The truth is, I think most builders would be smart enough to stay away from crazy color use. As I said before, if done "tastefully", then it would be nice. Life is not ending without it, but every little improvement helps to attract new players.
Comatose

Post by Comatose »

I agree colors in room descriptions and other things could be great, and may also help in attracting new players. I don't know what kind of change that is or if it is worth it. I think that it could be controlled pretty easily.

Obviously Slart was quick to reject this so it may be a waste to continue but I think it was a worthy idea.
Luc

Post by Luc »

Hmm I always wondered, i think maybe some colors should be added to certain things. How hard would it be to code in the (white aura) to actually show as white? simple things like this i think would be pretty decent, i have a few other ideas...just thought id bring up one or two.